clearly... | Syracusefan.com

clearly...

BillSU

All American
Buffalo is a much better team. At least they can shoot the ball in the hole. Took Battle out of the game entirely. Battle, by the way, had over 20 points in 25 games last year!???? Great ball movement, rebounds by the Bulls. At least we can say we were the first team of anyone they've played ahead of them starting the second half this season.

We are playing with the same roster/starters as last year with the addition of Carey with great hopes that Battle, back for a junior year, would be great again. But, we're not – but blame it on the coach it's all his fault.

There is much to be done at Syracuse University Basketball. GOSU

Buffalo is a much better team. At least they can shoot the ball in the hole. Took Battle out of the game entirely. Battle, by the way, had over 20 points in 25 games last year!???? Great ball movement, rebounds by the Bulls. At least we can say we were the first team of anyone they've played ahead of them starting the second half this season.

We are playing with the same roster/starters as last year with the addition of Carey with great hopes that Battle, back for a junior year, would be great again. But, we're not – but blame it on the coach it's all his fault.

There is much to be done at Syracuse University Basketball. GOSU
Maybe our team can get those participation medals that they hand out to all the kids that play AYSO soccer. Admit it...this style of play has been stale for a loooooooooong time now. It's just time for a change. PLEASE......don't drag the program down the drain. Winter is too long here.

Not sure if you were trying to defend the coaching staff but who do you think recruited these players? Roy Danforth?

Franco - Making a point here:
I was first team All - State N.J. prep QB, was recruited by several schools but not SU. So I was a walk on at SU. Almost flunked out because I was cutting my design courses to make football practice. Could throw the ball better than their scholarship QB and they eventually game me a scholarship. But I had to quit sports and go to summer school which was great; women out numbered men 10 -I and they were all very friendly. Was also the N.J State Champion sprinter in '62 ran a 9.7 hundred, ran indoor track in Manley and used to be a spotter for the official scorer at Manley in '63, '64 so I bleed Orange profusely and am a personal friend of JB's.

Of course I was trying to defend the coaching staff specifically JB. Enjoy what you have while you have him. What I do not understand is why the current roster cannot exert more energy and play like they did last year. Like I said above , we are playing with the same roster/starters as last year with the addition of Carey with great hopes that Battle, back for a junior year, would be great again. But, we're not. I do not think it has anything to do with Jim - he can't shoot the ball for them and his record is second in basketball history 1034 -375 .734 with 36 NCAA appearances and one National Championship. In my mind JB is not the problem nor is the Zone. Other schools copy our zone and use it effectively. And he IMHO is a very effective coach, still, no matter what is said here.

I don't know what the answer is but you have to shoot better than they are currently or they'll have a bad year. Occasionally it happens. I do think we've been spoiled because we are a winning program Jim put us there, is a great coach and we expect to be ranked and have over 20 wins a year as we have had for 35 of 42 years and been to the tournament. I have been at practices and watched them coach - they are trying to impart basketball wisdom to these players but sometimes the players don't get it. We have a very good player in Jalen Carey but he's going to make mistakes, it usually it takes a year for them to get the experience they need to play in this league or the Big East, Jim would tell you that. This week they had as he described it two lousy practices before last nights game. Sometimes you just need patience which many on this board don't have. They want instant gratification and it's not happening. So you have to live with it. I hope he can turn this team into an offensive machine - we'll see. Merry Christmas to you and everyone on this board. GOSU :)

i didn't even realize who was guarding battle until he fouled out late (jordan/carruthers?) in his chest all game. shut him down. maybe we might dedicate a man to tag a leading scorer like massenburg who dropped 25 ? btw brissett battle and hughes all logged 36 plus per box score. OoC.

Franco - Making a point here:
I was first team All - State N.J. prep QB, was recruited by several schools but not SU. So I was a walk on at SU. Almost flunked out because I was cutting my design courses to make football practice. Could throw the ball better than their scholarship QB and they eventually game me a scholarship. But I had to quit sports and go to summer school which was great; women out numbered men 10 -I and they were all very friendly. Was also the N.J State Champion sprinter in '62 ran a 9.7 hundred, ran indoor track in Manley and used to be a spotter for the official scorer at Manley in '63, '64 so I bleed Orange profusely and am a personal friend of JB's.

Of course I was trying to defend the coaching staff specifically JB. Enjoy what you have while you have him. What I do not understand is why the current roster cannot exert more energy and play like they did last year. Like I said above , we are playing with the same roster/starters as last year with the addition of Carey with great hopes that Battle, back for a junior year, would be great again. But, we're not. I do not think it has anything to do with Jim - he can't shoot the ball for them and his record is second in basketball history 1034 -375 .734 with 36 NCAA appearances and one National Championship. In my mind JB is not the problem nor is the Zone. Other schools copy our zone and use it effectively. And he IMHO is a very effective coach, still, no matter what is said here.

I don't know what the answer is but you have to shoot better than they are currently or they'll have a bad year. Occasionally it happens. I do think we've been spoiled because we are a winning program Jim put us there, is a great coach and we expect to be ranked and have over 20 wins a year as we have had for 35 of 42 years and been to the tournament. I have been at practices and watched them coach - they are trying to impart basketball wisdom to these players but sometimes the players don't get it. We have a very good player in Jalen Carey but he's going to make mistakes, it usually it takes a year for them to get the experience they need to play in this league or the Big East, Jim would tell you that. This week they had as he described it two lousy practices before last nights game. Sometimes you just need patience which many on this board don't have. They want instant gratification and it's not happening. So you have to live with it. I hope he can turn this team into an offensive machine - we'll see. Merry Christmas to you and everyone on this board. GOSU :)

Agree with you. For some reason the determination and heart of this squad are lacking. I say that because of the major rebounding discrepancy and lack of solid defense. That is all work ethic. In my opinion coaching and/or talent is not the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom