Clemson, fan here. Requiem for the Big east | Syracusefan.com

Clemson, fan here. Requiem for the Big east

Tigertrain

Walk On
First let me say, welcome to the ACC I have been reading your board and have enjoyed hearing your opinions. It appears many of your fans are saddened at the loss of the glory days of the Big East. Some Pitt fans have expressed similar feelings on their "rivals" board. I think some interesting rivalries will develop in the ACC over the next few years and I am glad both schools are members.

The ESPN documentary was interesting. The Big East was doomed from the beginning. The death of the CFA ( for those not old enough to recall, the CFA was the governing body for college football TV contracts). killed any chance the big east had to survive. Once the CFA died, TV money forced schools like Penn State and FSU to join a conference. This was happening just at the time the Big East was starting to get going. Amazing that some of the AD's at the basketball schools could not see this coming and gobble up Penn St. I am not sure why this angle was not explored more in the documentary.

Good luck in the tourney. Enjoy the ACC, even when the tourney is held in Greensboro. The Pitt message board had a favorable post from one of their fans about the tourney

The ESPN documentary was interesting. The Big East was doomed from the beginning. The death of the CFA ( for those not old enough to recall, the CFA was the governing body for college football TV contracts). killed any chance the big east had to survive. Once the CFA died, TV money forced schools like Penn State and FSU to join a conference. This was happening just at the time the Big East was starting to get going. Amazing that some of the AD's at the basketball schools could not see this coming and gobble up Penn St. I am not sure why this angle was not explored more in the documentary.

As the Georgetown AD said: "Your problems are not my problems".

Until Miami, Va Tech, BC, SU, Pitt, and WV all left. Then it became Georgetown's problem.

As the Georgetown AD said: "Your problems are not my problems".

Until Miami, Va Tech, BC, SU, Pitt, and WV all left. Then it became Georgetown's problem.
Georgetown is now getting what they deserve, Mid-Major status!! OH YA GEORGETOWN SUCKS!!!!!!

First let me say, welcome to the ACC I have been reading your board and have enjoyed hearing your opinions. It appears many of your fans are saddened at the loss of the glory days of the Big East. Some Pitt fans have expressed similar feelings on their "rivals" board. I think some interesting rivalries will develop in the ACC over the next few years and I am glad both schools are members.

Good luck in the tourney. Enjoy the ACC, even when the tourney is held in Greensboro. The Pitt message board had a favorable post from one of their fans about the tourney

It wasn't explored more, imho, because it was a basketball love poem made by basketball people. Which is fine. The Big East of the 80s is something to be nostalgic about.

However, I don't think it was an accident that Jake Crouthamel wasn't interviewed for this documentary. Maybe he was asked and declined, but it was obvious to the makers of this documentary, football was the enemy.

Strangely enough, the building blocks Gavitt used to make the Big East a premiere men's basketball conference are precisely the building blocks of recent conference expansion (markets, large arenas, maximize TV appearances, get into good recruiting areas, etc.).

Cheers,
Neil

Georgetown is now getting what they deserve, Mid-Major status!! OH YA GEORGETOWN SUCKS!
Last night's game at McDonough Gym is a look into their past, and future. They'll hang a few more NIT banners up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom