Clock and game management at SU | Syracusefan.com

Clock and game management at SU

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
Dino is climbing up the ladder as possibly the worst clock and game manager I have ever seen, but from P, to Marrone, to SS, and now Dino - the one constant for this program is poor game management. This is one thing that doesn't require athletes, facilities, staff of thousands, it is common sense and we struggle at it constantly.

There is just no sophistication...for example, after the 15 min delay to determine if Jawar had stepped out before the 3, they had time to set up 2 if not three plays, in a game when every second would matter.

Instead we ran the ball for no gain and wasted another 30 secs in utter cluelessness.

Really poor.

(this is not a fire Babers thread)

When...I forget who...didn't go out for the FG and SU got called for a 5 yard penalty, I was hoping DB wouldn't burn a TO and was thrilled he didn't.

There is just no sophistication...for example, after the 15 min delay to determine if Jawar had stepped out before the 3, they had time to set up 2 if not three plays, in a game when every second would matter.

Instead we ran the ball for no gain and wasted another 30 secs in utter cluelessness.

Really poor.

(this is not a fire Babers thread)
For the record I am not pushing for him to be fired either. Unlike some I am not ready to build him a statue either and I think there are some hard questions he needs to answer. Fortunately for him that will not come from local media which is the softest on football coaches I have ever seen.

I’ve long thought that every team should have a common sense coach to help manage the common sense things that coaches can’t seem to grasp, like use of timeouts, and end-of-half/game situations. Maybe be a final sign-off for play-calling.

Not many of these guys gave up their career as a neurosurgeon to become a football coach.

I’ve long thought that every team should have a common sense coach to help manage the common sense things that coaches can’t seem to grasp, like use of timeouts, and end-of-half/game situations. Maybe be a final sign-off for play-calling.

Not many of these guys gave up their career as a neurosurgeon to become a football coach.
Maybe we need a rocket scientist

Except that most of these screw ups could be avoided by consulting a note card that someone could write up in the off-season.