Coach Boeheim is an evil genius... | Syracusefan.com

Coach Boeheim is an evil genius...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
Loved the call on the sideline out of bounds, where we trapped on the inbounds. Gottfried calls a time out to set up the play, and Coach has the troops come out in man to man. A man to man that trapped immediately. Just an amazing call that it was obvious NC State wasn't expecting. Wonderful play call by the coach.

My only complaint involves his last timeout. Called it with Tyler Lewis still on the floor. Gave Gottfried a chance to put Barber in, who drew the charge. Ennis could get anything he wanted with Lewis guarding him.

A Clockwork Orange said:
Loved the call on the sideline out of bounds, where we trapped on the inbounds. Gottfried calls a time out to set up the play, and Coach has the troops come out in man to man. A man to man that trapped immediately. Just an amazing call that it was obvious NC State wasn't expecting. Wonderful play call by the coach.

It wasn't man, just extended 2-3 where cooney jumped out front and tried to cut off half the court.

That said, an awesome call to lure the trap and not foul.

It wasn't man, just extended 2-3 where cooney jumped out front and tried to cut off half the court.

That said, an awesome call to lure the trap and not foul.
That was man to man, watch it again. CJ was guarding a dude past the three point line on the opposite side of his spot in the zone. If that was a 2-3 zone extended it was the oddest 2-3 zone I've ever seen. They faked the 2-3 zone quickly before it was inbounded, but that was most definitely not a 2-3 zone. Extended or otherwise.

JB is genius on defense set plays. However in the last 2-3 minutes I question his calls for isolation plays for Grant and CJ who were terrible all night. Resulted in two turnovers/misses in crucial point in the game. Should have been Ennis or Rak especially with a timeout set play.

We need to get better on offense and quick.

A Clockwork Orange said:
That was man to man, watch it again. CJ was guarding a dude past the three point line on the opposite side of his spot in the zone. If that was a 2-3 zone extended it was the oddest 2-3 zone I've ever seen. They faked the 2-3 zone quickly before it was inbounded, but that was most definitely not a 2-3 zone. Extended or otherwise.

I'm watching it right now. It's a 2-3 without question. Ennis isn't guarding anyone.

I'm watching it right now. It's a 2-3 without question. Ennis isn't guarding anyone.
Not worth arguing over. But it's man to man. ;) And CJ is guarding someone, on the opposite side of the zone, pretty safe bet that's not a zone defense when a player is all the way over on the opposite side of the zone, above the three point line, face guarding another player.

You say tomato, I say to-mah-toe. We agree it was a great call, and honestly, that's all that matters.

My only complaint involves his last timeout. Called it with Tyler Lewis still on the floor. Gave Gottfried a chance to put Barber in, who drew the charge. Ennis could get anything he wanted with Lewis guarding him.

not just that but as mentioned in the chatroom had someone become trapped it was game over. i'd like that last TO in my pocket.

A Clockwork Orange said:
Not worth arguing over. But it's man to man. ;) And CJ is guarding someone, on the opposite side of the zone, pretty safe bet that's not a zone defense when a player is all the way over on the opposite side of the zone, above the three point line, face guarding another player.

You say tomato, I say to-mah-toe. We agree it was a great call, and honestly, that's all that matters.

You can guard a player and still be playing zone. There was nothing m2m about that play. Cooney was extended out top to cut off half the court, Tyler wasnt guarding anyone, Rak was playing center, and wings were really extended.

You can guard a player and still be playing zone. There was nothing m2m about that play. Cooney was extended out top to cut off half the court, Tyler wasnt guarding anyone, Rak was playing center, and wings were really extended.

They feinted a 2-3 zone and as soon as it was inbounded switched to a man to man where Tyler and Jerami trapped the ball handler, and Rak guarded the hoop. CJ also came up and was face guarding another outlet.

Definitely not a 2-3 zone, although they started in one to not tip their hand. This shows it just after the inbound. Notice Trevor guarding man to man as well. I guess if you wanted to you could say it was just a weird cking hybrid of something that worked. For my money it's more man to man than zone, but whatever, I don't care.

Screenshot 2014-02-15 22.36.23.jpg

Last edited:
No, I do not always have to be right. I just am in this case, and I will leave it at that.

No, I do not always have to be right. I just am in this case, and I will leave it at that.
Just changed my post, as I was being too harsh. Apologies for that. Not sure how you can say definitively it was zone, when it clearly wasn't definitively zone, but as I said, whatever, I don't care. This is a really stupid thing to argue about, so I will stop now.

It was an extended 2/3 zone with a designed jump trap. It's a wrinkle jb put in the zone years ago.

Uses it a few times a year. It looks like man because its extended.

Great observation.

And that was a very unusual timeout by Boeheim, who would rather keep the defense unsettled and let his point guard win the game. With how things were going, he didn't want that in the players' hands at that stage.

My question was on the inbounds play under our basket why was Trevor #1- playing the taller Warren in the first place #2 why was he playing in front of him allowing Warren to post him up and the ball to be just lofted to him? Why was Coney playing the back man on the inbounds. Maybe I'm wrong but that seemed to be a glaring strategical error that could have easily cost us the game.

NC St had to know we were going to do something aggressive. There was only 5 seconds difference between the clocks, we simply couldn't afford to lay back in a 2-3 zone and let them kill clock.

Boeheim is a genius coach, but I am not going to call him a genius for this play. It was obvious we had to do some sort of trap in the situation.

IMO it was neither man or zone. The situation called for an aggressive attempt for a turnover or foul.

JB is genius on defense set plays. However in the last 2-3 minutes I question his calls for isolation plays for Grant and CJ who were terrible all night. Resulted in two turnovers/misses in crucial point in the game. Should have been Ennis or Rak especially with a timeout set play.

We need to get better on offense and quick.

As Darrel Royal once said: "You gotta dance with the girl that brung ya." We have seen CJ have tough nights and save the day at the end before.

Jake said:
It was an extended 2/3 zone with a designed jump trap. It's a wrinkle jb put in the zone years ago. Uses it a few times a year. It looks like man because its extended.

Thank you.

CJ made the one bucket that counted, and that's all we really need to know about his game last night. He had a horrendous shooting night but kept at it and put himself in position for the winner.

I'm not so sure that the NC State player intended to goaltend the lay-up. I think he was going up to grab the rebound out of the net to get a quick restart, but the ball bounced back and forth inside the rim before it dropped, totally screwing the timing. He goaltended nonetheless.

Tremendous steal on the inbounds. We were in the perfect position to play that inbound tough because no matter what we did, they weren't shooting free throws. Poke, prod, swipe...do whatever to jar the ball loose. Fortunately they decided to pass it to us. All the kid had to do was hug the ball and I bet we would have fouled him, even though we could theoretically forced him into a 5 second call if he did.

JB talked about the end of game strategy in his presser. He really is a great end-of-game coach. On the possession without 20 something seconds, we had only 4 team fouls, I am thinking hurry up and foul to get to the point where NC State is forced to shot 1-1 free throws. JB instructed the team not to foul center court but wait until they could trap along the out of bounds line and try to get a turnover. Hence NCstate player dribbles off his leg.

Same in the last possession where Xmas got the steal. He did not want to waste time fouling but wanted to take advantage of the fact NCS could not call a timeout if trapped.

Well done coach!!!!!

Boeheim is so great in close games. Wish I had the numbers...

I put this spreadsheet together midway through the 2011-2012 season and just updated it. All based on data provided by orangehoops.org I may have made mistakes if anyone cares to audit, that would be great.. Left side is wins, right side is losses. Totals are at the bottom..

Boeheim-close-games.xlsx

I put this spreadsheet together midway through the 2011-2012 season and just updated it. All based on data provided by orangehoops.org I may have made mistakes if anyone cares to audit, that would be great.. Left side is wins, right side is losses. Totals are at the bottom..

Boeheim-close-games.xlsx

Very cool; thanks for putting the effort into that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom