Coach Cal-The monitoring system doesnt lie | Syracusefan.com

Coach Cal-The monitoring system doesnt lie

a

• b

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • c

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
As much as I hate him that sounds like a really innovative idea as a coach.

Unlike most SU fans I think Cal is a genius. [note: genius does not equal me liking him, just respecting his intelligence]

Crooked, and willing to bend rules? Most likely.

But I think he is a great coach and motivator, and an innovator within the sport. This article is proof.

Is it legal to use a monitoring device like this during an actual game? Seems like it should be, it's a mechanical device that the gives the user an advantage over the opponent (or it may give them an advantage depending on whether you believe effort can actually be measured in this fashion and adjusted for).

Taken to an extreme the monitor could be used by the coach to measure when a player is beginning to experience high rates of fatigue and allow the coach to make a substitution based on that information before the player makes a mistake that might be based on fatigue. Obviously, we all recognize the player that is bent over pulling on his shorts trying to catch his breath as being fatigued and would consider making a substitution. A monitor might allow the coach to recognize that situation at an earlier stage.

While it seems very forward thinking, I am not sure that I see it as a positive at least as far as its use during the actual competition. Not every program can afford a staff of employees to follow the monitors, crunch the data and deliver it to the coach in a useful and timely manner.

Maybe he can shock the players when their exertion levels fall below his acceptable margin also. :rolleyes:

Well Coach Cal can't really coach and he doesn't know when to make proper substitutions. What he does have, however, is millions of dollars. Enough money to develop a system that will automatically tell him the starting line-up to use, make substitutions during the game, and call timeouts for him. Then he can really concentrate on the only thing he does well - recruiting.

In fact, he won't even need to attend the games. He'll be able to watch all the UK games from inside expensive restaurants where he is hosting the parents of all the recruits in ESPN top 25.

He'll be living the dream.

Is it legal to use a monitoring device like this during an actual game? Seems like it should be, it's a mechanical device that the gives the user an advantage over the opponent (or it may give them an advantage depending on whether you believe effort can actually be measured in this fashion and adjusted for).

Taken to an extreme the monitor could be used by the coach to measure when a player is beginning to experience high rates of fatigue and allow the coach to make a substitution based on that information before the player makes a mistake that might be based on fatigue. Obviously, we all recognize the player that is bent over pulling on his shorts trying to catch his breath as being fatigued and would consider making a substitution. A monitor might allow the coach to recognize that situation at an earlier stage.

While it seems very forward thinking, I am not sure that I see it as a positive at least as far as its use during the actual competition. Not every program can afford a staff of employees to follow the monitors, crunch the data and deliver it to the coach in a useful and timely manner.
Apparently it is legal - U San Fran was using it in games 2 seasons ago. The article also states that Polar estimated 15 Div 1 hoops programs were using monitors at that time.

These are increasingly used in soccer, and will likely become ubiquitous in the next 1-2 years.

BTW, burning 18 calories a minute for 2.5 hours is ridiculous, even if they are starting from a heavier base. That's gotta be the equivalent of 12-15 miles a practice for a big guy.

Coaches drive players, reading the players intuitively and pushing them beyond their physical limits (self imposed). As a learning device, comprehensive physical monitoring can be instructive to a player--biofeedback can instruct a player on their actual limits, i.e. raising the bar on exertion.

Giving the coach (the driver) a real-time reading on the performance of the body has the potential of destroying the coach/player relationship. Imagine this 'tool' in the hands of a wildly competitive coach (how many coaches are not wildly competitive?), say a Bobby Knight, reported for various practice abuses, or Mike Rice, recently suspended for throwing profanities and basketballs at his players. Maybe this kind of a monitor could be used in a court room to defend a player's right to hold back 10% of their energy reserve?

21st century sports are already laden with performance enhancing drugs and psychological metrics to various degrees. Speed and strength and mental acuity are tuned to a very high degree and monitored and manipulated by coaches as part of their everyday work. Players are concerned with their diets and conditioning and their relationship with fellow players, team physicians and coaches. Adding physical monitoring adds another concern. Ultimately the issue is one of trust. Would a coach using such instrumentation improve or break a player? Would a coach already recruiting over a current player use such biofeedback monitoring to work a player to 'death?' Do some players need a 20% cushion to maintain their mental edge? Do energy expenditure levels vary between personalities? Every player feels like they give 100% Will being told that they are only giving 90% effect their performance emotionally? Will giving 90% everyday at practice end up in cumulative fatigue by game time?

Coaches drive players, reading the players intuitively and pushing them beyond their physical limits (self imposed). As a learning device, comprehensive physical monitoring can be instructive to a player--biofeedback can instruct a player on their actual limits, i.e. raising the bar on exertion.

Giving the coach (the driver) a real-time reading on the performance of the body has the potential of destroying the coach/player relationship. Imagine this 'tool' in the hands of a wildly competitive coach (how many coaches are not wildly competitive?), say a Bobby Knight, reported for various practice abuses, or Mike Rice, recently suspended for throwing profanities and basketballs at his players. Maybe this kind of a monitor could be used in a court room to defend a player's right to hold back 10% of their energy reserve?

21st century sports are already laden with performance enhancing drugs and psychological metrics to various degrees. Speed and strength and mental acuity are tuned to a very high degree and monitored and manipulated by coaches as part of their everyday work. Players are concerned with their diets and conditioning and their relationship with fellow players, team physicians and coaches. Adding physical monitoring adds another concern. Ultimately the issue is one of trust. Would a coach using such instrumentation improve or break a player? Would a coach already recruiting over a current player use such biofeedback monitoring to work a player to 'death?' Do some players need a 20% cushion to maintain their mental edge? Do energy expenditure levels vary between personalities? Every player feels like they give 100% Will being told that they are only giving 90% effect their performance emotionally? Will giving 90% everyday at practice end up in cumulative fatigue by game time?

It can be misused. But, on the other hand, could it prevent an arrhythmia situation by notifying a team when heart rate is too high? Or perhaps detect a concussion, low blood sugar, or other ailment?

Maybe he can shock the players when their exertion levels fall below his acceptable margin also. :rolleyes:

We could've use that from time to time. Devendorf would have been a terrific defender.

In fact, he won't even need to attend the games. He'll be able to watch all the UK games from inside expensive restaurants where he is hosting the parents of all the recruits in ESPN top 25.

Ahh, no, there are no cameras in expensive restaurants.

Anybody have info on the Monitor being used? Couldn't find brand or model number on Cal's site. I may wish to buy one.