Coach K just named dropped Mike Hopkins for USA basketball | Syracusefan.com

Coach K just named dropped Mike Hopkins for USA basketball

Alsacs

Living Legend
Syracuse Basketball@syrbasketball
Coach K: "Obviously, I'm going to consider Jim Boeheim and his top assistant Mike Hopkins" for Olympic coaching staff.

That is awesome and a great tool for future recruiting. I think its almost a lock that if JB continues as an assistant to USA basketball he will coach thru 2015-2016. So if JB is named a coach bank on him being at SU for a while.

Laura Keeley@laurakeeley
#Duke's Krzyzewski said he wants Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim to return as an assistant coach for USA Basketball
David Teel@DavidTeelatDP
MT @laurakeeley: Coach K says "you have to do both" coaching USA and #Duke. Expect him in Durham at least through the 2015-16 season
Laura Keeley@laurakeeley
Just to sum, #Duke's Mike Krzyzewski basically confirms he will be at Duke as long as he is coaching USA Basketball (through 2016 Olympics)

Mike was an assistant coach on the team in London last summer ... along with Wojo and Chris Collins. They didn't get all the publicity that JB, D'Antoni and McMillan (the "official" assistant coaches) got, but they worked just as hard -- if not harder.

Mike was an assistant coach on the team in London last summer ... along with Wojo and Chris Collins. They didn't get all the publicity that JB, D'Antoni and McMillan (the "official" assistant coaches) got, but they worked just as hard -- if not harder.
I was in London for the Olympics as well and thought I saw Wojo in a USA golf shirt near that marshmallow arena the games were played in, but I didn't know that he was an assistant as well. Its still good that Coach K would say Mike Hopkins would still be affiliated when 90% of the basketball fans in the USA probably don't know who he is now.

Johnny Dawkins was an unofficial assistant coach in 2008 in Beijing before going to Stanford. Collins has become the head coach at Northwestern, and Wojo is K's designated successor at Duke. It's not a bad spot for a future head coach.

Wojo is K's designated successor at Duke. It's not a bad spot for a future head coach.

He is?

Hop's primary role was organizing and conducting the individual player workouts prior to the games. He personally worked the players out and then helped during the official practices.

Hop's primary role was organizing and conducting the individual player workouts prior to the games. He personally worked the players out and then helped during the official practices.
He did a lot of scouting future opponents. And preparing analyses for the senior coaches. He, Chris and Wojo worked insane hours doing this.

Saw them practice this summer...Chris Collins and Hop were very impressive (as was JB). Wojo wasn't active outsideof chasing rebounds, and I have no idea what Mike D'Antoni was doing.

Might be a little awkward for Boeheim if Tyson Chandler is back

I like Chandler, my co-favorite person(Dirk) of the Mavs championship team, and my 3rd favorite Knick player behing 'Melo, Shumpert. But I don't think he will be on the USA team next year. It's going to be Dwight and probably Anthony Davis.

I like Chandler, my co-favorite person(Dirk) of the Mavs championship team, and my 3rd favorite Knick player behing 'Melo, Shumpert. But I don't think he will be on the USA team next year. It's going to be Dwight and probably Anthony Davis.
Chris Bosh. I hope. Chris Bosh. Howard is disruptive. In Beijing, Bosh was a great team player

Johnny Dawkins was an unofficial assistant coach in 2008 in Beijing before going to Stanford. Collins has become the head coach at Northwestern, and Wojo is K's designated successor at Duke. It's not a bad spot for a future head coach.
Actually K has not designated a successor.
The thought is whoever succeeds him will require head coaching experience.
The leaders right now appear to be Tommy Amaker, Johnny Dawkins (who formed quite a backcourt) and Jeff Capel.
I'm pretty sure Quin Snyder is out of the picture : )

Might be a little awkward for Boeheim if Tyson Chandler is back
chandler was awful in the playoffs. he may have been hurt but we don't know yet. I don't prefer the new outspoken boeheim, but he is right about chandler sucking. chandler is an adult and a very well payed professional, i'm sure he is used to criticism from coaches.

The leaders right now appear to be Tommy Amaker, Johnny Dawkins (who formed quite a backcourt) and Jeff Capel.
I always thought it would be Dawkins...and I love Collins (whom I know pretty well), but I hear Wojo now has the inside track. Hey, maybe I don't know anything... but it's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Saw them practice this summer...Chris Collins and Hop were very impressive (as was JB). Wojo wasn't active outsideof chasing rebounds, and I have no idea what Mike D'Antoni was doing.
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that.

Of course, there are no "leaders" (except on message boarsd and websites) but I agree that Amaker and Dawkins will get every consideration. (Not Capel.) I'd have to think Dawkins will get the job if he finds some success at Stanford, but so far he hasn't, and he might not even keep that job through 2016, when Coach K steps down.

Its worth noting that Duke hired a strong AD (Kevin White) to make this hire. Coach K respects him and will respect the process of hiring his replacement. He'll certainly have significant input, but I don't think he names his own successor.

I always thought it would be Dawkins...and I love Collins (whom I know pretty well), but I hear Wojo now has the inside track. Hey, maybe I don't know anything... but it's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Upvote for sticking to your guns...