Coach K near retiring? | Syracusefan.com

Coach K near retiring?

SBU72

All Conference
During the half time of the Mercer game, they talked to Coach K as he left the court. I couldn't help but think he sounded like an old man. This got me to thinking. He had at least 2 incidents on the side lines this year where he fainted or got dizzy . Didn't he also miss a game for illness? And Duke has been bounced from the NCAA in the round of 64 twice in the last 3 years. Is he running down? Does anybody think he is getting ready to retire? Or could also taking on the Olympic team too much? I have heard it said that it occupies a huge amount of his energies.

He's not retiring any time before the 2016 Olympics. He's made it clear that he wants only "active coaches" on the staff

He's not retiring any time before the 2016 Olympics. He's made it clear that he wants only "active coaches" on the staff
I had heard that but boy did he sound old and his body is acting like it. I was wondering if he might want to reconsider his comment.

FYI: Laura Keeley is the Duke beat reporter for the Raleigh News & Observer and Charlotte Observer.

While he is not planning to retire anytime soon, at his age retirement can always happen very suddenly.

All he can do right now is assess his energy levels and his desire to remain the coach. But when a person hits the age of 67, the chance of something else suddenly interfering with your plans becomes much higher then ever before. It's an unfortunate fact of life.

While he is not planning to retire anytime soon, at his age retirement can always happen very suddenly.

All he can do right now is assess his energy levels and his desire to remain the coach. But when a person hits the age of 67, the chance of something else suddenly interfering with your plans becomes much higher then ever before. It's an unfortunate fact of life.
i suppose both unfortunate AND fortunate, because it means you're still at the top at 67...which I think most of us would be quite pleased with.

I don't see it.

I mean, at his age the finish line isn't that far off, but I don't see it being an any time type of thing.

Is Jimmy going to wear K down and take the all time win title? You know those guys admire and respect each other , but like in Highlander, "There Can Be Only One."

Watch it. Some of us are old enough that we don't like such comments. :)

Oh, I'm not making fun of him or other elder statesmen like JB. I'm just pointing out that in terms of coaching, at K's current age [did someone list it as 67 above?], that he's probably winding down in terms of remaining years. Could he coach for 10 more? Sure--easily, and provided health / unforeseen circumstances don't prevent him from doing so, he'll have a lifetime pass to coach at Duke as long as he wants. Ditto JB at Syracuse.

But at this stage of their careers, I'm guessing that both are a lot closer to 5 than 10 in terms of years remaining. And maybe fewer than that.

Oh, I'm not making fun of him or other elder statesmen like JB. I'm just pointing out that in terms of coaching, at K's current age [did someone list it as 67 above?], that he's probably winding down in terms of remaining years. Could he coach for 10 more? Sure--easily, and provided health / unforeseen circumstances don't prevent him from doing so, he'll have a lifetime pass to coach at Duke as long as he wants. Ditto JB at Syracuse.

But at this stage of their careers, I'm guessing that both are a lot closer to 5 than 10 in terms of years remaining. And maybe fewer than that.
I simply meant that we hope to live many more years into the future.

Is Jimmy going to wear K down and take the all time win title? You know those guys admire and respect each other , but like in Highlander, "There Can Be Only One."

Unless Duke has a sub .500 season, Jimmy is not catching K. It's not happening.

Does anyone think K and JB would retire at the same time?

I guess none of you have ever tried hard to accomplish something and then have plans fall apart. That's what happened in that interview. K just came to the end of the season long before he planned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom