Coach K's post game press conference | Syracusefan.com

Coach K's post game press conference

GooseMutt

All Conference
I bleed Orange-80 grad. Hate Duke! For who they are, what they've accomplished, their arrogance, and unfair recruiting advantages. By unfair, I don't mean crooked/inappropriate but you get it. I have always perceived Coach K as a cranky dictator that lived in a black and white world. I thought his was actually crankier and more jaded then Coach Boeheim by his sideline rants and obvious pressure to perform year after year. But I have to say that I was so impressed by his playful/ respectful demeanor at the press conference that I came away really liking him. Very very classy. Disagree that he said we are not rivals because when we do meet its been intense and noteworthy. He says he loves Boeheim and the Syracuse program and I love that. Thanks Coach K. Hopefully see you in March!

I bleed Orange-80 grad. Hate Duke! For who they are, what they've accomplished, their arrogance, and unfair recruiting advantages. By unfair, I don't mean crooked/inappropriate but you get it. I have always perceived Coach K as a cranky dictator that lived in a black and white world. I thought his was actually crankier and more jaded then Coach Boeheim by his sideline rants and obvious pressure to perform year after year. But I have to say that I was so impressed by his playful/ respectful demeanor at the press conference that I came away really liking him. Very very classy. Disagree that he said we are not rivals because when we do meet its been intense and noteworthy. He says he loves Boeheim and the Syracuse program and I love that. Thanks Coach K. Hopefully see you in March!
He was classy in that presser (other than the arrogance inferred in his rivalry comment) and imo he is the best college coach of my adult lifetime. And i get it he is buds with JB. But i will never understand the disconnect with how he is treated on this board vs how coach Knight is treated. Imo they are cut out of the same cloth as Knight was clearly Ks mentor and by no coincidence they were both two of the best ever. I suspect (understatement) K was far better at massaging his reputation than Knight, but my own feeling is Knight (altho made many sizable mistakes) as the evil ogre was slightly overblown and likewise K portraying himself and Duke as the untouchable/unattainable Saint was also overblown. Ie that huge gaping hole in public perception between the two didnt truly reflect reality. But thats just me

He was classy in that presser (other than the arrogance inferred in his rivalry comment) and imo he is the best college coach of my adult lifetime. And i get it he is buds with JB. But i will never understand the disconnect with how he is treated on this board vs how coach Knight is treated. Imo they are cut out of the same cloth as Knight was clearly Ks mentor and by no coincidence they were both two of the best ever. I suspect (understatement) K was far better at massaging his reputation than Knight, but my own feeling is Knight (altho made many sizable mistakes) as the evil ogre was slightly overblown and likewise K portraying himself and Duke as the untouchable/unattainable Saint was also overblown. Ie that huge gaping hole in public perception between the two didnt truly reflect reality. But thats just me
I don't remember hearing about K punching or choking anyone, or throwing a chair across the court during a game.

I don't remember hearing about K punching or choking anyone, or throwing a chair across the court during a game.
I hear you, and i dont want to turn this into a thread disparaging K, because i do think he is a friend to the SU community......but its all perspective. For example , did one of Coach Knights young men ever do what coach Ks Henderson did with clear malice to PsychoTylers face? That was one of the worst shows of sportsmanship i have ever seen in college sports. Who was more clearly violent? Knight or Henderson? K had zero accountability in Hendersons actions? Maybe. Again it all comes down to perspective and massaging public perception...imo

Last edited:

A coach threw a chair?

Did he just skid it across the floor or was it a major league overhand throw?

How many people were injured?

Just kidding. But Knight's skidding that chair across the floor ain't in the same ballparks or universe as choking some one. That was one of the most overhyped incidents ever.

Knight had plenty of enemies happy to seize on this intemperate act and blown it all out of proportion.

what about the display of soiled toilet paper?

I hear you, and i dont want to turn this into a thread disparaging K, because i do think he is a friend to the SU community...but its all perspective. For example , did one of Coach Knights young men ever do what coack Ks Henderson did with clear malice to PsychoTylers face? That was one of the worst shows of sportsmanship i have ever seen in college sports. Who was more clearly violent? Knight or Henderson? K had zero accountability in Hendersons actions? Maybe. Again it all comes down to perception and massaging public perception...imo
We're not talking about K's or Knights players. Your post compared K to Knight, and questioned the was K was portrayed vs. the way Knight is portrayed. IMO, Knight made his bed with his temper, overreactions, and physical contact with players, referees, and people away from the court (google "Hey, Knight, what's up?"). He's a HOF coach. I'm not disputing that. But I don't think you can complain about his reputation compared to K's. That's all. :noidea:

A coach threw a chair?

Did he just skid it across the floor or was it a major league overhand throw?

How many people were injured?

Just kidding. But Knight's skidding that chair across the floor ain't in the same ballparks or universe as choking some one. That was one of the most overhyped incidents ever.

Knight had plenty of enemies happy to seize on this intemperate act and blown it all out of proportion.
Agreed. I was just responding to a post that seemed to be questioning Knight's reputation as compared to K's.

We're not talking about K's or Knights players. Your post compared K to Knight, and questioned the was K was portrayed vs. the way Knight is portrayed. IMO, Knight made his bed with his temper, overreactions, and physical contact with players, referees, and people away from the court (google "Hey, Knight, what's up?"). He's a HOF coach. I'm not disputing that. But I don't think you can complain about his reputation compared to K's. That's all. :noidea:
Good post. Knight regularly crossed lines of behavior that K never approached.

That was exactly my point. Knight was Ks mentor yet how did they wind up with such a gaping hole between their reps? And more importantly do their reps truly reflect reality? I will never know.

But i cant help but wonder, when Henderson broke Ts nose with one of the biggest cheapshots I have ever seen, was that because Henderson is a total goon by nature or was Henderson somehow trying to please his coach (ie follow thru with the true Duke(K) culture)? it is an interesting question. Ok as another moderator has said, i will show myseelf out!

Disagree that he said we are not rivals because when we do meet its been intense and noteworthy.

K actually said, "Everybody has a rivalry with us."

His point seemed to be that Duke is a big deal on everyone's schedule.
Every good team Duke plays feels its a "rivalry."
It's intense and noteworthy and fills the arena everywhere.
Everyone hates Duke and wants to beat Duke.

But it's one sided.
To Duke it's just another game.
And that includes Syracuse, notwithstanding the fact that in the brief time we've been in the ACC we've played at least 3 classic games with Duke and that K says he likes coming to town.

Yes, we're rivals in the sense of being two big time programs that really go at it.
But that's the extent of it.

Duke's only real rivalry is UNC.
Having lived in Durham, I've seen it.
It's something completely different than playing Syracuse or Virginia or Louisville.
It's not just another game against a good team with a great history.
It's THE game.

But it's one sided.
And that includes Syracuse, notwithstanding the fact that in the brief time we've been in the ACC we've played at least 3 classic games with Duke and that K says he likes coming to town.

Yes, we're rivals in the sense of being two big time programs that really go at it.

It's something completely different than playing Syracuse or Virginia or Louisville.
It's THE game.

Bleep is, of course, correctl.

But there are some SU fans that don't want to believe that Duke vs SU isn't a "rivalry" because they want it to be.

Duke fans used to taunt Maryland fans relentlessly with a "You aren't our Rival" cheer.

I would hope SU fans don't end up hearing the same taunts.

But it's one sided.

It's THE game.
Gotta agree with the Col. here, it's not a rivalry. Maybe a "conference" rival, for whatever that means, but K is right - everyone likes to believe they are Duke's rival because they want to be in Duke's class, but they aren't. We lost our real rivals, Georgetown and Uconn, with the big east split.

But it's one sided.

It's THE game.
I also lived in Durham, and I also saw this. The regular basketball season is just filler in between the two meetings of the Devils and the Heels.

But it's one sided.

It's THE game.

That said, I do think it's different for both JB and Coach K from "other teams" when we play each other. I don't think either wants to believe it's not just "another" game but because of their friendship they know it just is. That is the reason, their friendship, that JB said years ago they wouldn't schedule an OOC game against each other when we were in the Big East. It's probably more important because of their relationship both knowing their shared competitiveness and hatred of losing.

Bleep is, of course, correctl.

But there are some SU fans that don't want to believe that Duke vs SU isn't a "rivalry" because they want it to be.

Duke fans used to taunt Maryland fans relentlessly with a "You aren't our Rival" cheer.

I would hope SU fans don't end up hearing the same taunts.

Duke-Maryland was a rivalry though. For awhile. Kindve like Syracuse and Virginia Tech were football rivals for awhile.

When you play each other every year and the games are highly competitive and memorable, a rivalry forms. It doesn't mean it's "THE" rivalry for either school.

Duke-Maryland was a rivalry though. For awhile. Kindve like Syracuse and Virginia Tech were football rivals for awhile.

When you play each other every year and the games are highly competitive and memorable, a rivalry forms. It doesn't mean it's "THE" rivalry for either school.
Yeah, you are right.

But the Duke people using their UNC relationship as the benchmark scoffed at the idea that Maryland considered themselves to be a rival.

In their mind their isn't "THE" rivalry and then a some other less significant rivalries. There Is a single rivalry, Duke vs UNC, and then there are "other teams we play like Maryland, NC State, etc".

Duke will never agree that SU is their rival.

Yeah, you are right.

But the Duke people using their UNC relationship as the benchmark scoffed at the idea that Maryland considered themselves to be a rival.

In their mind their isn't "THE" rivalry and then a some other less significant rivalries. There Is a single rivalry, Duke vs UNC, and then there are "other teams we play like Maryland, NC State, etc".

Duke will never agree that SU is their rival.

That was just their arrogance and insecurity coming out. Everyone knew UNC was their rival. But the Maryland-Duke on court rivalry was really good too for a few years. It lasted for as long as the Maryland program remained elite and a threat to them. That's typically how secondary rivalries go.

As long as the SU and Duke programs are both strong and they are frequently playing competitive games, this will be a nice rivalry. Frankly, I couldn't care less what their fans think about it either. They don't get to rewrite basic sports rules.