Coaching debate | Syracusefan.com

Coaching debate

Cusefan95

All Conference
I think folks calling for wholesale changes of coaches are wrong. Not because the coaches we have are great, but because college football has passed Syracuse University by, and a small private University in the northeast has no chance to catch back up. None.

We have virtually no fan base, and a significant portion of the fans left have deluded themselves into think Syracuse University is still relevant in football (or can be with the right coach). It ain't gonna happen, folks. We cannot produce the revenues that are required to keep up, and as a private university it's pointless to throw money away trying to compete in football. It's as bad a business decision as the idea someone had of the university taking over a money pit train run.

We can sit here and debate about what offense to run, or if Leach could turn things around - it's all just because most of us are in denial that Syracuse is and will be a peer of Duke in the ACC. And we have no chance of ever getting even a mediocre coach here, because our fan base thinks we're a peer of Virginia Tech and won't settle for less. At least Duke knows they don't matter, many here think Syracuse still does.

I've resigned myself to the truth, that last year was a dead cat bounce and our ceiling will be season like last year, happy to just make a bowl game. The only interesting thing left is how many years and coaches it takes for the Barrel's of the world to realize the same thing.

I think folks calling for wholesale changes of coaches are wrong. Not because the coaches we have are great, but because college football has passed Syracuse University by, and a small private University in the northeast has no chance to catch back up. None.

We have virtually no fan base, and a significant portion of the fans left have deluded themselves into think Syracuse University is still relevant in football (or can be with the right coach). It ain't gonna happen, folks. We cannot produce the revenues that are required to keep up, and as a private university it's pointless to throw money away trying to compete in football. It's as bad a business decision as the idea someone had of the university taking over a money pit train run.

We can sit here and debate about what offense to run, or if Leach could turn things around - it's all just because most of us are in denial that Syracuse is and will be a peer of Duke in the ACC. And we have no chance of ever getting even a mediocre coach here, because our fan base thinks we're a peer of Virginia Tech and won't settle for less. At least Duke knows they don't matter, many here think Syracuse still does.

I've resigned myself to the truth, that last year was a dead cat bounce and our ceiling will be season like last year, happy to just make a bowl game. The only interesting thing left is how many years and coaches it takes for the Barrel's of the world to realize the same thing.
Obviously, you didn't attend the WVU game. If you had, you would have known that the atmosphere was just like the good old days. The problem is talent and coaching, both of which can be remedied. Perhaps, however, with a new hire.

Obviously, you didn't attend the WVU game. If you had, you would have known that the atmosphere was just like the good old days. The problem is talent and coaching, both of which can be remedied. Perhaps, however, with a new hire.
Once again, if you want a new hire right now, then you had better be prepared for at least 3 more years of really bad football. Because only a schmo aspiring above his ability will go somewhere where they pull the plug on a coach in Marrone's position after YEAR FREAKING 3.

Once again, if you want a new hire right now, then you had better be prepared for at least 3 more years of really bad football. Because only a schmo aspiring above his ability will go somewhere where they pull the plug on a coach in Marrone's position after YEAR FREAKING 3.
What makes you so sure that we do not have 3 more years of really bad football in front of us now? The problem is that people on this board are slow to recognize a need for change.

Syracuse is a college town. With a loyal following of about 30k people. Duke struggles to get 30k people at a game. So, comparing us to Duke is just stupid. When we win (4-2 going into WVU game) we get large, loud crowds. When we lose (5-5 heading into UC game) we get average, dull crowds. Simple as that.

Syracuse is a college town. With a loyal following of about 30k people. Duke struggles to get 30k people at a game. So, comparing us to Duke is just stupid. When we win (4-2 going into WVU game) we get large, loud crowds. When we lose (5-5 heading into UC game) we get average, dull crowds. Simple as that.

So we've had good crowds and dead crowds this year. What that means if I'm setting the budget is I'm going to expect small lifeless crowds and pocket the money if a miracle happens and we get a good crowd. Which is why Syracuse football is effectively dead, no responsible administrator is going to OK spending more money on this program; we don't have the consistent fan support to justify it.

Stick a fork in 'er, Syracuse football is done. It was fun while it lasted...

Stick a fork in 'er, Syracuse football is done. It was fun while it lasted...
In the midst of his struggles Job's wife suggested to him "Why don't you just curse God and die?"
I guess I'm more of a Job and you're more of a Job's wife.

same stupid things were said when I was at S.U. in the late 70's. Let's drop a level. Glad we didn't listen to that nonsense. Glad we aren't going to listen to this nonsense.

What makes you so sure that we do not have 3 more years of really bad football in front of us now?
Observing what has happened in the program for Marrone's 3 years here so far. And we have not had 3 years of really bad football. Really bad football is 0-12, 1-11 territory.

If we win at Pitt we're 6-6 and exactly where I thought we would be this year. Last year was great, but it set expectations way too high. People here aren't slow to recognize a need for change, they're too quick to expect the moon and stars without understanding the devastated shape the program was in when Marrone took over.

While you're interviewing coaches, see what they think about their ability to recruit in the ACC after they see our existing facilities. As I have said before, that problem has to be fixed before you think about trying to blow $$$ on a savior coach.

The players stink. The coaches stink. The school stinks. The state stinks. The fans stink.

This is what losing does to you. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom