Coaching Staff Status | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Staff Status

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Trying to keep it all straight with all the comings and goings.

Is this correct?

HC Scott Shafer
OC George McDonald (not officially confirmed but recruiting)
QB Tim Lester (not officially confirmed but recruiting)
WR Rob Moore (loyalist)
RB DeAndre Smith (unofficial)
TE (also McDonald ala Hackett)
OL TBD

DC Chuck Bullough (official)
DL Tim Daoust (loyalist)
LB Clark Lea (unofficial)
DB TBD

ST TBD
RC Lea was RC at South Dakota St, maybe him?

By my count, we have 8 coaches and can hire 10. The two remaining coaches will coach the OL and the DBs. Someone will pull double duty and serve as the special teams coach. Maybe Shafer.

That looks like as much as we've heard so far.

Wonder who will get ST duty. Since we're not doing the OC/QB coach combo, and since Lester has been a head coach (albeit at a lower level), could he be a ST candidate?

That's my count as well. Any names from Shafer's former staffs that pop out for DB or OL positions?

A few names:

Western Michigan OL Coach 2005-2006 Mike Sullivan

Last year with San Diego, apparently offered the OL gig at Illinois, but still technically on the table

Western Michigan DB Coach 2005 Paul Williams

Currently DB coach at Miami where he worked with McDonald. Can't see him moving unless he gets another title (Special Teams Coordinator? Coached Special Teams at Penn & Delaware a while back.)

Western Michigan DB Coach 2006 Clayton White

Recently hired as Safeties Coach at N.C. State. Former Special Teams Coordinator for Connecticut and Recruiting Coordinator at Western Carolina. White also went with Shafer to Stanford in 2007.

I'd like White from this list, though the ? is would a ST Coordinator or RC Coordinator position be enough to pull a McDonald with him...

Been very quiet on the Lea front-Hope that's still on and he's on the road recruiting for now. We need some numbers.

Appreciate you putting this list together as I've had a tough time keeping tabs on the new coaches names and what theyll be coaching.

I think it's 9 paid coaches?

Old Staff had 9 - am I missing someone?
Marrone
Hackett
Moore
Wheatley
Adkins
Anselmo
Daoust
Morrison
Henderson

I think it's 9 paid coaches?

Old Staff had 9 - am I missing someone?
Marrone
Hackett
Moore
Wheatley
Adkins
Anselmo
Daoust
Morrison
Henderson

And Shafer

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'd assume that SS might be the new ST coach looking at that.

yeah duh. thanx :bat:

Hey, it happens Phat. I am the dope who suggested that there was "no way" the Bills would give Marrone unlimited authority to hire his own staff.

All right, I will say it. If he is a good fit, personality-wise, hire George Deleone to coach the OL.

All right, I will say it. If he is a good fit, personality-wise, hire George Deleone to coach the OL.
Syracuse's new Godfather?

Syracuse's new Godfather?
Absolutely. Guy with a proven love for the program. NJ contacts galore. And a top-notch teacher of the position. Looking at the other hires, the recruiting angle is filling out nicely, so we don't necessarily need the OL coach to be a young dynamic recruiter. I would much rather have a scholar of the game and a teacher like Deleone teaching what is arguably the most important position on the team. He would be welcomed instantly into every school in NJ, so he wouldn't have to work as hard as a new guy mining the region.

But really what I mostly want is his teaching at the position.

DeLeone has an associate's title ($$$) now at UConn and can't see him leaving his friend. Hey, if P had landed Vick, he and DeLeone might still be at SU.

This would be an unbelievable staff if we were like Cincinnati or Purdue. Do not get me wrong, I still really like the staff's outlook and their actual coaching skills. Just concerned about recruiting a little. We are a little too heavy in the Midwest. Hopefully we just have good recruiters that can recruit anywhere.

Here are current areas guys are known to recruit: (Please add if I miss anything)
HC Scott Shafer- Midwest/Florida
OC George McDonald- Florida/ South East
QB Tim Lester- Midwest
WR Rob Moore- NYC/ NJ
RB DeAndre Smith- Midwest
OL TBD- Hopefully someone who can recruit Penn and DMV

DC Chuck Bullough- Midwest/California/Buffalo?
DL Tim Daoust- Midwest
LB Clark Lea- California/Texas/South East? (went to Vanderbilt)
DB TBD- Once again, Penn and DMV

DeLeone has an associate's title ($$$) now at UConn and can't see him leaving his friend. Hey, if P had landed Vick, he and DeLeone might still be at SU.
I thought he was canned. Argh, better go check the news.

DeLeone will be the associate coach and coach OL.

This would be an unbelievable staff if we were like Cincinnati or Purdue. Do not get me wrong, I still really like the staff's outlook and their actual coaching skills. Just concerned about recruiting a little. We are a little too heavy in the Midwest. Hopefully we just have good recruiters that can recruit anywhere.

Here are current areas guys are known to recruit: (Please add if I miss anything)
QB Tim Lester- Midwest
WR Rob Moore- NYC/ NJ

DL Tim Daoust- Midwest

Given all these recruiting areas, maybe Shafer knows something we don't, like that we're headed for the Big 10.

QB Tim Lester- Midwest
WR Rob Moore- NYC/ NJ

DL Tim Daoust- Midwest
You want someone who can recruit PA and the Department of Motor Vehicles?

You want someone who can recruit PA and the Department of Motor Vehicles?

Obviously, that's a typo. He meant the DMZ. Seventies-era Vietnam is really an untapped recruiting area.

That's my count as well. Any names from Shafer's former staffs that pop out for DB or OL positions?
You can also take it a step further and look at position candidates who have worked with our new coordinators - OL guys w/ McDonald and DBs w/ Bullough (Williams recommendation from McDonald might help, but Bullough's the one he'd be working with). It's been a while since the WMU days, so they will have some experience with people that Shafe hasn't.