Coaching Staff | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Staff

CU44SE

All Conference
Iv raised this question since Red was hired and the allowable number of assistant coaches increased. Syracuse never made any hires to fill out the staff. Red being a first time head coach really should have every positioned hired for to help with the transition.

Instead, Syracuse currently has the smallest coaching staff in the ACC. Very disappointing that it doesn’t appear the program is funding the assistant coaching appropriately.

Anyone know if this a Red decision or a Program decision? Cause honestly, I don’t understand the reasoning for not filling these positions.

There is a Donna article on this today. Sounds like Red knows he needs more and is working to make that happen. Not sure if he has been held back or wanted to do this strategically as he went along.

I had heard another move was happening this summer outside of Kline and thought it would have been announced by now.
Loose Lips.jpg

Iv raised this question since Red was hired and the allowable number of assistant coaches increased. Syracuse never made any hires to fill out the staff. Red being a first time head coach really should have every positioned hired for to help with the transition.

Instead, Syracuse currently has the smallest coaching staff in the ACC. Very disappointing that it doesn’t appear the program is funding the assistant coaching appropriately.

Anyone know if this a Red decision or a Program decision? Cause honestly, I don’t understand the reasoning for not filling these positions.
Question here..... We just hired a GM for I'm assuming a good amount of money. Schools themselves are going to have to start playing players. Now we have to hire 1 or 2 more assistant coaches. Do you think Syracuse has been just sitting on this money? Where do we suppose the money to continue a program- any program- is going to come from? Will fans be priced out to the point where we decide the hell with this? I really don't have a good feeling about the future of college sports at all.

Agree. That article didn't exactly put the program in the best light. ADJW and Coach have some work to do.

Reactions: 007
Agree. That article didn't exactly put the program in the best light. ADJW and Coach have some work to do.
The priority was staffing the football program. I think we will now see something similar with basketball.

The priority was staffing the football program. I think we will now see something similar with basketball.
Make sense and I sure hope that's the case. Even if you can't get a "perfect" fit for each position, I don't think it's wise to go understaffed compared to your peers.

Really would love to see Devo hired in a role for player development. He’d would be the perfect fit. There’s not too many that bleed orange more than he does and that’s invaluable to have around as another positive influence and grinder and can relate to the guys.

Make sense and I sure hope that's the case. Even if you can't get a "perfect" fit for each position, I don't think it's wise to go understaffed compared to your peers.
I think the light finally went on for the university, albeit a little late. This is about "survival" now (i.e., protecting the revenue stream and the brand). We won't set the market, but we HAVE to stay competitive with peer programs.

The PS article from today is shocking. How is our athletic department so far behind on staffing? I’m surprised the PS didn’t write about this before! Red was starting a new job taking over from a legendary coach but has had one hand tied behind his back. Apparently the rule changed officially last July 1 to be able to add two more full time on-court assistants, but I believe we could have had additional staff members before that, like a GM, director of recruiting, etc. Fortunately they hired Alex Kline as GM. Hopefully more hires are coming asap.

Last edited:
Really would love to see Devo hired in a role for player development. He’d would be the perfect fit. There’s not too many that bleed orange more than he does and that’s invaluable to have around as another positive influence and grinder and can relate to the guys.
Some people on here have hinted that may be one of the moves in the works.

I would be concerned about the possible #metoo backlash. We are all generally aware of the good Devo is doing, but is that general knowledge? Will the twitter vigilantes care?

Not surprising. They’ve always had the smallest compliance dept in the ACC also. I’m sure that mentality is limited to those 2 examples. They have always thought they could do more w less. Need to raise tuition to 75k per semester to get $$ to compete.

Not surprising. They’ve always had the smallest compliance dept in the ACC also. I’m sure that mentality is limited to those 2 examples. They have always thought they could do more w less. Need to raise tuition to 75k per semester to get $$ to compete.
The AD is independent. It pays the university tuition and rooms and board for scholarship athletes. Raising tuition hurts the amAD.

The AD is independent. It pays the university tuition and rooms and board for scholarship athletes. Raising tuition hurts the amAD.
You’re correct. I know nothing about how that all works. RCM.

I would be concerned about the possible #metoo backlash. We are all generally aware of the good Devo is doing, but is that general knowledge? Will the twitter vigilantes care?
Are you implying that Devendorf is guilty of bad behavior similar to the behavior that started #metoo? Otherwise, comparing a basketball hire to thousands of women telling their rape stories is a really bad look.