coin toss defferal | Syracusefan.com

coin toss defferal

T

tipphill

i don't understand why we would defer? i would want to keep their offense off the field,given out pass defense issues and try to control the clock and perhaps get out in front right away and get the crowd into the game.the longer we have the ball the less chance they can score. help me out here.the chanves of getting 3 and out are slim--hcdm talks about field position as to why he will defer---what better field position is there than to mount a sustained drive and score?and keep their offense on the bench?? the strategy i think would be is to play "keep away"---just some random thoughts

or we can keep them off the field to start the 2nd half...

the coin toss is the most overrated aspect of football. unless there is a 50 mph wind, it holds little difference.

or we can keep them off the field to start the 2nd half...

the coin toss is the most overrated aspect of football. unless there is a 50 mph wind, it holds little difference.
i have a hat with that logo on it----danny b. would be proud

I think the coin toss is actually pretty important. If you're an underdog and you take the ball first and march down the field and score, it gives you a ton of confidence and, hopefully, fires up your defense and lets you know you can play with your opponent.

Of course at the same time, it sucks when you give up a score at the end of the first half, and your opponent gets the second half kickoff...

Actually, I'm glad I don't have to make the decision. But to be perfectly honest, against West Virginia, I'd put the offense on the field first. An early touchdown by The 'Eers could potentially take some of the wind out of our sails, so I'd rather have a chance to grab the early momentum with a touchdown.

We're slow starters and so is WVU. Let's just make sure our kick-off coverage doesn't give up the big run back, hold them to 3-and-out, and start our O from an advantageous position on the field.

Since we're 4-0 when we've won the toss and deferred why change what's been working.

I would always defer. And any coach without a blow you out type offense should always defer. The best reason is that it gives you the possible opportunity to have 2 possessions in a row. In a close game that can be the difference between winning and losing.

You can make more meaningful/specific adjustments on offense as compared to defense after actually seeing how they're lining up, which WRs can get open, etc. If they find something to try that wasn't in the original game plan, they can work it out during halftime. Otherwise, they wasted a drive (and potential touchdown) by taking the ball before it was thought of.

It's just a small advantage, but no reason not to use it.

I think it'll fire up those mountain boys on offense as much as it shows some confidence in our defense.

take the ball and play smash mouth football,get the crowd early in the game
In other words you want the ball and 3 straight dives by Bailey? That's what smash mouth football is. Not sure how that would get the crowd in the game early unless your looking for boos as our offense heads off the field after its first possession. If SU tries to play smash mouth football with WVU it will be a very long evening in the dome.

deferring it is a risk, but the reward would be giving the defense confidence to start out if it gets a solid stop...the defense getting a 3 and out from WV's first drive would make both teams step back and think this is a completely different team than before the bye. you make everyone in the dome think the defense is ready to play...it takes pressure off an offense that might have been trying to push too much to make up for the weaknesses on defense, and west virginia is on their heels...

and then you get the ball to start the second half...

deferring it is a risk, but the reward would be giving the defense confidence to start out if it gets a solid stop...the defense getting a 3 and out from WV's first drive would make both teams step back and think this is a completely different team than before the bye. you make everyone in the dome think the defense is ready to play...it takes pressure off an offense that might have been trying to push too much to make up for the weaknesses on defense, and west virginia is on their heels...

and then you get the ball to start the second half...
still feel the best chance we have is is to minimize wvu touches sustain an opening drive and score. we need the ball at kickoff. i do not have the confidence that the defense will stand tall early in the game and thus wvu will jump out early,causing us to try to catch them. we need to get up early and perhaps that being done the defense can take the chances they need to. this is the only chance we have to win this in iho. the defense has been absent all season, no reason for me to think they will be there tonite. for once let the d come on the field for the first time with a lead to protect. its easier to sell out when your winning.

take the ball and play smash mouth football,get the crowd early in the game

Getting and keeping the crowd in it in the beginning is support for deferring. You don't want loud fans when you have the ball. You want noise on D, which MAYBE helps towards a three-and-out and better field position.

lots of good points,but i wouldn't want to try and play catch-up for the rest of the game against wvu,but everybody else i'm game
That's a better and more succinct way of expressing why I am hesitant to defer against this team.

If WVU wins the toss do you think they will take the ball?

FYI - We have scored as many TD's on defense as we have on offense, 1st possession of the game.

If WVU wins the toss do you think they will take the ball?
hadn't thought about that!!!! i hope they defer and we get the ball. i'd rather take my chances on offense first to see if we can get up on them. truly believe get up, or its lights out.

If WVU wins the toss, I'd bet they'll defer because they know they can score a ton, in a hurry, and are looking at the possibility of getting two straight possessions.

still feel the best chance we have is is to minimize wvu touches sustain an opening drive and score. we need the ball at kickoff. i do not have the confidence that the defense will stand tall early in the game and thus wvu will jump out early,causing us to try to catch them. we need to get up early and perhaps that being done the defense can take the chances they need to. this is the only chance we have to win this in iho. the defense has been absent all season, no reason for me to think they will be there tonite. for once let the d come on the field for the first time with a lead to protect. its easier to sell out when your winning.

i agree, just playing devil's advocate...it's the only solid reason to defer, and would make them look like geniuses/like its a completely new season if it worked out (huge if)

i had to go to a wedding,and missed the game,my son took my tickets who did win the toss and what did they choose and how did it work out?

wv won, deferred, su got a couple 1st downs but turned it over, wvu went 3 and out (i think, could def be wrong) and gave it back for the first 14 play scoring drive (i might have romanticized this in my head so it might have been a bit longer than this before we scored)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom