Coleman, Grant, and future Orangemen | Syracusefan.com

Coleman, Grant, and future Orangemen

I hope DC2 and Grant are aware that their main priority this weekend is to recruit Nerlens to join then at SU. The all-star game is completely secondary. I hope NN is rooming with one of them...that would be great.

I like what Grant could bring in a few years. I think he'll be an upgrade over Joseph. Quicker, more bouncy. I really thought Joseph looked soft/heavy towards the end of the season. Grant's handle can't be worse.

I don't follow HS basketball that closely, but I saw Grant was only getting 12 points a game. Was he coming off an injury? Does he put up better numbers on an AAU team. I'm just curious how this guy is ranked so high. This is not a criticism by any means, I was just hoping those with more insight into his game could elaborate.

I don't follow HS basketball that closely, but I saw Grant was only getting 12 points a game. Was he coming off an injury? Does he put up better numbers on an AAU team. I'm just curious how this guy is ranked so high. This is not a criticism by any means, I was just hoping those with more insight into his game could elaborate.

A lot of reasons. High school games are 32 minutes. Grant probably averaged 25 or so based on the several games I went to this year. A lot of blowouts in there as the three main teams this year were DeMatha, Paul VI, and Gonzaga. He stepped up in most of the big games and put up 17-20 points/game. He recently was MVP of the ACIT tournament.

DeMatha is also loaded so there are only so many touches to go around. James Robinson (Pitt), Beejay Anya (highly rated recruit in 2013), Jairus Lyles, Marcellus Bell, etc. They really play well as a team and Grant picks his spots within the way they run their offense.

I'm really excited about seeing him in Orange next year.

A lot of reasons. High school games are 32 minutes. Grant probably averaged 25 or so based on the several games I went to this year. A lot of blowouts in there as the three main teams this year were DeMatha, Paul VI, and Gonzaga. He stepped up in most of the big games and put up 17-20 points/game. He recently was MVP of the ACIT tournament.

DeMatha is also loaded so there are only so many touches to go around. James Robinson (Pitt), Beejay Anya (highly rated recruit in 2013), Jairus Lyles, Marcellus Bell, etc. They really play well as a team and Grant picks his spots within the way they run their offense.

I'm really excited about seeing him in Orange next year.

Thanks for the info...If he works out, I'll be sure to say I knew he was gonna be great ;)

Scoring 12 PPG for DeMatha is equivalent to scoring 40 PPG for Jordan-Elbridge.

I watched grant play a few times this year on TV. He will be a great player

I like what Grant could bring in a few years. I think he'll be an upgrade over Joseph. Quicker, more bouncy. I really thought Joseph looked soft/heavy towards the end of the season. Grant's handle can't be worse.

We'll miss a lot about Joseph. Early on in the year, I thought he could make an NBA roster as a 2 guard or SF. No, he wasn't going to be mistaken for Derric Rose, but for a guy his size (6'7) his handle is decent. He can also hit the open jumper and is excellent in transition and unsettled situations (where he had space).

The half court, however... is where the problems took hold. Had trouble rebounding out of his area. Not enough strength/technique to finish inside against bigger, more athletic teams. Poor decision-making ... charging rather than popping a mid-range shot. And inconsistency .. a few games shining, but when it counted in the tournament, turning it over and not playing to his potential.

We'll miss a lot about Joseph. Early on in the year, I thought he could make an NBA roster as a 2 guard or SF. No, he wasn't going to be mistaken for Derric Rose, but for a guy his size (6'7) his handle is decent. He can also hit the open jumper and is excellent in transition and unsettled situations (where he had space).

The half court, however... is where the problems took hold. Had trouble rebounding out of his area. Not enough strength/technique to finish inside against bigger, more athletic teams. Poor decision-making ... charging rather than popping a mid-range shot. And inconsistency .. a few games shining, but when it counted in the tournament, turning it over and not playing to his potential.

Eh, I never was big on Joseph. He won't get drafted this year and last year I thought the same. He absolutely has ZERO chance to be an NBA SG. Zero, lol. I think we'll miss some transition threes and dunks but that's it. I expect Grant's all-around game to develop faster and to have a much higher ceiling. Maybe I'm too optimistic...

CJ Fair next year will give us more than Joseph ever gave us. And you don't have to give him the ball 13 times a game and watch the ball stop as he tries to jab step himself into the ground.

To say that Josephs handle was "decent" is akin to saying sandwiches taste yummy. Toward the end he couldn't dribble the ball for 3 seconds without bouncing the ball off of his foot.

To say that Josephs handle was "decent" is akin to saying **** sandwiches taste yummy. Toward the end he couldn't dribble the ball for 3 seconds without bouncing the ball off of his foot.

It wasn't pretty at the end.

I hope DC2 and Grant are aware that their main priority this weekend is to recruit Nerlens to join then at SU. The all-star game is completely secondary. I hope NN is rooming with one of them...that would be great.
I think we have an advantage that we have two kids that are already committed to SU, love it and bleed orange, while UK has a few guys still in the fray of where they will end up...and a few guys that committed that weren't in this past Sunday's game.