Coleman is still a work in progress, but... | Syracusefan.com

Coleman is still a work in progress, but...

jekelish

Living Legend
A couple things I really like about him.

1) he's got good hands

2) he's got good touch and court awareness (offensively anyway)

3) he really runs the floor hard (again, offensively, anyway)

He's not the impact player I hoped (yet) but you can see he's got the tools to really do well.

Yea, I noticed that his last basket (late in the game) he beat everyone down the floor.

Agree on all you said, HOWEVER it is still a major concern that he continually gets blocked or held balls. He hasn't learned to play against guys his own size yet.

Those blocks are almost always after bringing the ball back down and taking too long. He needs to learn when to take his time, when to go right up and how to get his shoulders sideways and into guys bodies.

kinda wouldda liked to see him wear #44 this year. big time local recruit who stayed true. also sets a pretty high bar to clear.

More and more, I'm thinking we need to hire a REAL dedicated 'big man' coach. I know Derrick Coleman may not be a realistic option, but I'd love it if we had someone who actually played that position at a high level who could school our guys. Our staff is kinda guard-heavy. Specific expertise and experience could not hurt, despite the high regard everyone has for Hopkins. The status quo is no different from expecting DC to be able to coach point guard play.

It might be awkward to hire Derrick to work with his not-son.

More and more, I'm thinking we need to hire a REAL dedicated 'big man' coach. I know Derrick Coleman may not be a realistic option, but I'd love it if we had someone who actually played that position at a high level who could school our guys. Our staff is kinda guard-heavy. Specific expertise and experience could not hurt, despite the high regard everyone has for Hopkins. The status quo is no different from expecting DC to be able to coach point guard play.

Herman Harried?

Agree in principle. However, Bernie Fine never played under the basket (or, anywhere, as far as I know).

progress is evident, already. He will be a solid, consistent low post presence by February.

Rosie Bouie.

Sometimes the best players make awful coaches because they don't know how to explain why they were great. And a lot of times what made them great cant be taught.

Coleman seems to run and move on dancers feet...very nimble and quick for his size.. but he is all brute force around the tin with his shot. Once he learns a little finesse there and stops bringing the ball down, he will be a scoring machine. I just don't understand why he feels the need to dribble the ball when he gets an offensive board. Go back up strong, son... don't bring it down where the 6'4 guys have a chance to swipe at it. Probably just a muscle memory thing that takes a little while to adjust to from high school dominance.

Agree in principle. However, Bernie Fine never played under the basket (or, anywhere, as far as I know).

I haven't said it's requisite that a good coach be someone who played the position. I'm only suggesting it might benefit our current players. Either way, I was never convinced Bernie's (coaching) reputation was well-deserved. Seikaly was the only guy, with Rony's own praise of Fine, that I saw as having really been developed by Fine. And, even then, the guy was raw, but with talent, and he would have come along anyway. On the other hand, we've had a long list of 'talented' big guys who didn't really progress at a rate above a baseline expectation. Long list. I think Fine gets credit for Seikaly and Derrick Coleman, but DC1 was great as a freshman, and was always going to be great, regardless. After that, though? From LeRon Ellis through Fab, a lot of disappointments and/or players who didn't make significant jumps from what they did pre-enrollment.

A contrarian would ask which coaches from other schools have demonstrated better work, and I would have no answer.

Oh he definitely played under the basket...

1) he's got good hands

4) Jimmy Dykes loves his body.

1) he's got good hands

He's not the impact player I hoped (yet) but you can see he's got the tools to really do well.

yeah and the silver lining to the fact that he didn't come in averaging 15 and 8 is that we're likely to have him for a minimum of two years but I'd say 3-4 unless we see a major transformation next season.

yeah and the silver lining to the fact that he didn't come in averaging 15 and 8 is that we're likely to have him for a minimum of two years but I'd say 3-4 unless we see a major transformation next season.

Agreed. A lot of talk about an early departure for Coleman, but I can't imagine where he'd go. Not a lot of NBA demand for centers of his height who aren't leapers. He's always looked to me like a very good four-year college center.

From someone who knows him well, the kid takes direction well and works very hard.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom