College Basketball is so much slower than the NBA | Syracusefan.com

College Basketball is so much slower than the NBA

Alsacs

Living Legend
In college football the play clock is the same as the NFL and the time of the game is identical to the NFL. Four 15 minute quarters in college football and in the NFL.

In college basketball you play 40 minutes with two 20 minute halves and a 35 second shot clock, and in the NBA you play four 12 minute quarters with a 24 second shot clock.

Now the rules in college sports aren't identical to the professional games, but the time of the game is awfully different from basketball compared to football.

I am not bemoaning the fact we lost honestly as if you told me we would be 25-1 after 26 games I would sign up for that every season AND NEVER complain. However, watching all of these ACC games outside of the Duke game played at snail paces its infuriating to see the decline of the college basketball quality of play. The number one objective of coaches is to win games, and the easiest way for teams to do that is too burn clock and shorten the game. Boston College shot 11/22 50% from 3 pt range that is why they were able to win the game last night. BC chopped 30 seconds each possession and then made 3 pt shots and we didn't execute on offense.

However, I hope the college basketball coaches realize the 35 second shot clock is too long and shorten it down to 30 seconds like the women's game. It would make coaches actually have to do their job more and teach their players offensive sets in a shorten time frame. I don't expect college basketball to go to 48 minutes and 24 second shot clock, but shortening it down from 35 to 30 seconds would add atleast 5 to 10 possessions at least per game.

College Football used to have a different play clock system than the NFL until recently in the last decade they changed to the 40 second clock after the tackle has been made a la the NFL. College Basketball needs to be progressive and change the freaking shot clock and made the game a better product. More possessions leads to more chance shots which leads to more points.

From a neutral fan perspective (which I'm not, obviously), that game must have been absolutely brutal to watch last night. We've had plenty of them, too.

all you have to do is watch any game where teams don't start their offense until 15-20 seconds in to know the shot clock is a problem, no one wants to watch guys pass it around the 3pt line for 20 seconds each possession

In college football the play clock is the same as the NFL and the time of the game is identical to the NFL. Four 15 minute quarters in college football and in the NFL.

In college basketball you play 40 minutes with two 20 minute halves and a 35 second shot clock, and in the NBA you play four 12 minute quarters with a 24 second shot clock.

Now the rules in college sports aren't identical to the professional games, but the time of the game is awfully different from basketball compared to football.

I am not bemoaning the fact we lost honestly as if you told me we would be 25-1 after 26 games I would sign up for that every season AND NEVER complain. However, watching all of these ACC games outside of the Duke game played at snail paces its infuriating to see the decline of the college basketball quality of play. The number one objective of coaches is to win games, and the easiest way for teams to do that is too burn clock and shorten the game. Boston College shot 11/22 50% from 3 pt range that is why they were able to win the game last night. BC chopped 30 seconds each possession and then made 3 pt shots and we didn't execute on offense.

However, I hope the college basketball coaches realize the 35 second shot clock is too long and shorten it down to 30 seconds like the women's game. It would make coaches actually have to do their job more and teach their players offensive sets in a shorten time frame. I don't expect college basketball to go to 48 minutes and 24 second shot clock, but shortening it down from 35 to 30 seconds would add atleast 5 to 10 possessions at least per game.

College Football used to have a different play clock system than the NFL until recently in the last decade they changed to the 40 second clock after the tackle has been made a la the NFL. College Basketball needs to be progressive and change the freaking shot clock and made the game a better product. More possessions leads to more chance shots which leads to more points.
if two NBA teams milk the clock every time, there are 120 shots 48*60/24

if two college teams milk the clock every time, there are 69 shots. 40*60/35

I'd like to go to a 30 second clock though I don't think it will dramatically speed up play. Don't ever want to go to 24 sec. and become just a version of the NBA game which is different from college.

I don't understand why the game isn't played with the same rules at all levels. Shot clock, taking the ball out of bounds after made baskets, the size of the lane, the distance of the arc, the number of minutes in a game, playing quarters, etc.

teams always play the stall ball vs us. this year it seems we are matching them stall for stall. leading to some pretty disgusting games.

If It went to a 24 sec clock you'd have to give players a 6th foul.

I've always thought the sixth foul was because the NBA played 48 minute games. 5 X 48/40 = 6.

I've always thought the sixth foul was because the NBA played 48 minute games. 5 X 48/40 = 6.
That is correct.
However, the Big East and SEC both in the late 80's and 90's each at a time allowed 6 personal fouls in conference play. That is another problem with college basketball each conference can play by any rules they want. If the ACC wanted to play with the NBA 3 point line in conference games they could do that. If they wanted 6 personal fouls in conference games they could.

That's true but NBA teams are built differently than college teams. Even the bench guys in the NBA are capable, grown men and were one of the best in college at some point. Tough to do that while still recruiting for the future as well.

That's true but NBA teams are built differently than college teams. Even the bench guys in the NBA are capable, grown men and were one of the best in college at some point. Tough to do that while still recruiting for the future as well.

Then shouldn't the foul limit be at least what it is in the NBA?

Anyone remember the Big East experiment with 6 fouls? It was awful. The more fouls you allow, the more fouls will be given during a game. And it made the interior play a lot rougher. Bad move.

If you increase the number of possessions via quicker shot clock, or longer game then I would say yes.

its not the clock, its the talent level. the NBA is faster because of the clock, yes, but also because they are making shots.

if you try to rig the game to get more possessions all you are going to end up with is more missed shots. shorten it to 30, sure, even to 24. won't change the fact that there are rarely more than three legit shotmakers on the court at any one time- and often not that many, both teams combined.