College domed football stadium update | Syracusefan.com

College domed football stadium update

Moontan

2017 ESPN College Bowl Pick’em Winner
Upon seeing that Tulane is in the process of building a new stadium (and therefore leaving the Superdome) I decided to update my College Domed Football Stadiums spreadsheet.

Key to the updates were a Bleacher Report article entitled Ranking Division I Indoor Stadiums (which ranks the Carrier Dome as #1) and a list of domed stadia provided by the University of Northern Arizon.

There are now 12 schools that play college football home games in a domed stadium, only 5 of which play in the FBS (surprisingly, there are 6 FCS programs and one Div II program that play in smaller domes). Once Tulane leaves the Superdome, that the FBS count will drop to 4.

The Carrier Dome is the largest on-campus domed stadium. Three others (soon to be two) play in larger facilities that were built for NFL teams (either real or imagined... I'm talking about you, San Antonio).

It's interesting to note that two of the smaller domes were originally air-supported structures as well, but were converted to other roof constructions at a later date.

I hope Tulane builds it big enough to accommodate both its fans.
You beat me to it! I was trying to come up with something good but you were quicker :)

I hope Tulane builds it big enough to accommodate both its fans.
It will be in the 30,000 range to accommodate visiting fans.

I wouldn't mind it if Syracuse scheduled a 2-for-1 with Tulane in the future... though they likely did that this time around as well, with one of those games being a hoops game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom