College football tenures.. | Syracusefan.com

College football tenures..

Chip

Creature of Bad Habits
After the Marrone departure, I got to thinking about how it seems like a practically impossible concept to have a lifer in the head coaching position. There's just too much movement, either upward, or pressure to fire. I wondered if I'd ever have the time to look up some of the data.

Then I found this from a Thamel tweet a few minutes ago.

Quite a trend as you scroll down... At the moment, we get the newest spot on the list...

http://d1scourse.typepad.com/blog/2...rrent-fbs-coaching-tenures-from-1-to-125.html

EDIT: Didn't see there was already a thread about this below, but didn't see the link included... So sorry if this is a man lands on moon thread.

There are only five FBS college head coaches with longer tenures than the longest-serving NFL head coach: Bill Belichick.

That is CRAZY.

There are only five FBS college head coaches with longer tenures than the longest-serving NFL head coach: Bill Belichick.

That is CRAZY.

It is crazy and an indication that college football is now truly professional football.

And that's a shame.

29 coaching changes so far this off-season (25 last year)... that's 23+%.
A coach that makes it to his 5th season is doing well.

29 coaching changes so far this off-season (25 last year)... that's 23+%.
A coach that makes it to his 5th season is doing well.

Does that mean that a 5 year coach is now the equivalent of a "lifer"? Wow, just wow.

Is college football worse off for it though? Everyone says stability is so important but the teams and games don't look worse

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Is college football worse off for it though? Everyone says stability is so important but the teams and games don't look worse

A quick analysis of the list shows that longevity does not guarantee success. You are probably correct, CFB is not really worse off for the changes.

I don't think the sport is any worse. Nor is it any less popular. More popular than ever if some of these TV #s are remotely close to real.

Just one of those things I couldn't help think about, because I really did think Marrone would be here longer, had he turned things around.

I always think colleges have more of a chance at the long term thing, because of the connection an alum coach could have. Beamer is now the classic example. Fitzgerald at NW is one who may stick for longer than normal. As we saw at Penn State, it's not always a good thing.

Part of it is the NFL turnover. That league is getting to a point where GMs fire one coach and can't figure out who to hire. Demand is outpacing quality supply (there's plenty of crappy supply).