Comments from Coach P presser... | Syracusefan.com

Comments from Coach P presser...

"When you get into the spread offense, you are immediately eliminating fullbacks and the tight end position from your offense. If you can become a good pro-style of attack with good personnel, the possibilities are endless. The flexibility in attacking teams becomes wide open."

Interesting...

Interesting...

Yeah, it will only takes a lifetime to get there too.. NFL coachspeak, group think BS... Note how he said good personnel as well.. I would much rather have an offense like GT that works 80-85% of the time, if you shut it down then so be it.. the funny thing is that they actually believe this nonsense. The flexibility to me is to not be great at anything and mediocre at a ton of stuff. Business is the same, do a few things great and you your odds to be successful improve as opposed to spreading yourself to thin and being mediocre at a lot of things. It's a complete lack of vision, IMO. Focus on a few things and be great at it. The margin of error is razor thin, you need to be great and execute whicg these guys say all the time. The odds of executing increase tremendously with repetitition, these guys contradict themselves over and over where they dont even know what the F they are saying. We need to execute on the field so lets be multiple and decrease the odds of that by confusing kids with more every week. Line of reasoning is so flawed, these guys would be canned in a heartbeat as a CEO of any business

If you can find three great tight ends a qb like Andrew Luck and a big athletic O Line the prostyle attack is GREAT!!! I wonder if Paul Johnson and guys like Leach and Holgorsen would agree.. If you look at the top offenses they are mostly running spread or a variation of.. The coordinators are almost all college guys. The numbers speak for themselves. It's the 10,ooo pound elephant that these guys fail to acknowledge because they are all set in their ways

Weird. Who cares about FB's and TE's if you have a system that can roll up yards and points with HB's and WR's? Do you get more points if a FB scores?

Its just mindblowing, it really is. Its moronic, It's like saying I have a great business making a ton of money, but I need to try different things because well I just need too. The opportunity may not even be there.

I am going to start coaching football, I cant take it. I am on it

Its just mindblowing, it really is. Its moronic, It's like saying I have a great business making a ton of money, but I need to try different things because well I just need too. The opportunity may not even bet there.

I'm no spread zealot, I beleive you can be successful in just about any system with decent talent and good coaching. But its not like the spread hasn't been successful. Dozens of teams have won with it. To dismiss it out of hand is just, well, strange.

I'm no spread zealot, I beleive you can be successful in just about any system with decent talent and good coaching. But its not like the spread hasn't been successful. Dozens of teams have won with it. To dismiss it out of hand is just, well, strange.

I am not pushing one system over another but this "multiple" is crap. It's coaches believing that they can constantly outwit their opponent. Find something and be great.. dont tell me you have all sorts of systems in the gameplan. D's offense did this the last few years as well, good at a few things at times, great at nothing, it leads to tremendous inconsistency

Its just mindblowing, it really is. Its moronic, It's like saying I have a great business making a ton of money, but I need to try different things because well I just need too. The opportunity may not even be there.

I am going to start coaching football, I cant take it. I am on it
Skaneateles is looking for a coach. I think they have a lot of talent too.

Interesting...
yes, the possibilities are endless - just look at Deleone's playbook

when did SU have the most success in modern times? when they were running the freeze-option offense. They were the innovators and running a college offense that other schools weren't doing.

I'm sure a lot of other coaches at the time dismissed it as a gimmick offense - meanwhile just about everyone had trouble stopping it and it took SU to the top 10 and big-time bowl games.

Frustrating. :bat:

yes, the possibilities are endless - just look at Deleone's playbook

when did SU have the most success in modern times? when they were running the freeze-option offense. They were the innovators and running a college offense that other schools weren't doing.

I'm sure a lot of other coaches at the time dismissed it as a gimmick offense - meanwhile just about everyone had trouble stopping it and it took SU to the top 10 and big-time bowl games.

Frustrating. :bat:

Yep some assiatnt coach right now at the D3 level is innovating a new system that will take off.. Innovation is the key to any process... Innovated and others will eventually follow once they realize that it actually works

IB - I love you but you're all over the map on this stuff.

What I hate, hate out of the football meathead mentality is that when something is being stopped, the groupthink isn't to change or be innovate but to do it better, harder, stronger, with more willpower, blah, blah, blah.

We're talking about throwing, catching, and running with a ball. There can be many ways for a team to be able to absorb that.

As far as business goes you need to diversify and survive. I am sure there is some guy that made a kick-ass buggy whip but wasn't interested when he had the chance to make a car key.

Innovate is taking a process and finding a way to do it better, not diversifying to the point where you are good at nothing. If a new process is created you implement over and over until you become extremely efficient. Innovation and diversifying are two completely differnt processes

Yep some assiatnt coach right now at the D3 level is innovating a new system that will take off.. Innovation is the key to any process... Innovated and others will eventually follow once they realize that it actually works
What do you think of the high school coach that doesn't punt nor kick away? His take is that by using every opportunity to keep the ball, you increase your potential for scoring more than you increase the percentage that the opposing team will score. He seems to have success with it, but the novelty factor has to make them more successful than if it was more common.

Innovate is taking a process and finding a way to do it better, not diversifying to the point where you are good at nothing. If a new process is created you implement over and over until you become extremely efficient. Innovation and diversifying are two completely differnt processes

All they are trying to do is move a football downfield with the guys they have in place. Yeah, I think some of it is overthought and the coaches go out of their way to limit Nassib.

End of the day we have a QB that on a good day is fairways and greens and on a bad day sits in the rough and is badly missing putts. So our staff is lessening the club length on those bad days. It's not that big a deal.

But wasn't the Freeze Option just one component of being "Multiple?" They didn't run the FO every play. It was simply their signature.

"When you get into the spread offense, you are immediately eliminating fullbacks and the tight end position from your offense. If you can become a good pro-style of attack with good personnel, the possibilities are endless. The flexibility in attacking teams becomes wide open."​
Interesting...

i think that's an advantage-More scholarships you can use on other positions.

But wasn't the Freeze Option just one component of being "Multiple?" They didn't run the FO every play. It was simply their signature.
they didn't run it every play - but they also weren't a "good pro-style of attack" - they were employing highly mobile QBs who could also throw to put pressure on the other teams in ways that the majority of college teams weren't capable of doing. It was more a college specific style of offense than a pro-style.

All they are trying to do is move a football downfield with the guys they have in place. Yeah, I think some of it is overthought and the coaches go out of their way to limit Nassib.

It isn't that they are "go out of their way to limit Nassib." It is coaches with NFL back grounds thinking that their philosophy is best. What works bets to maximize talent in the NFL is not the same as in CFB. Two totally different games. The sooner our O coaches realize this, the sooner our O will be fixed.

they didn't run it every play - but they also weren't a "good pro-style of attack" - they were employing highly mobile QBs who could also throw to put pressure on the other teams in ways that the majority of college teams weren't capable of doing. It was more a college specific style of offense than a pro-style.

Agree with what you have said. But in the context of this thread, what they were was "multiple" and the freeze option was just one of the components. They did some things better than others -- didn't necessarily do everything great (as some here suggest).

Now an argument can be made that the employed the Freeze Option SO well that it overcame their deficiencies in other parts of their offense. But the fact remains, that the multiplicity was a big part of their strategy.

It isn't that they are "go out of their way to limit Nassib." It is coaches with NFL back grounds thinking that their philosophy is best. What works bets to maximize talent in the NFL is not the same as in CFB. Two totally different games. The sooner our O coaches realize this, the sooner our O will be fixed.

They are going out of their way to limit him. He almost never runs (unlike the Paulus year when he did) b/c Loeb prolly cannot play and Hunt / Kinder aren't ready. They run either high completion pass plays or throw it deep enough where it's a more punt if it gets picked, and they've told him to take more sacks instead of doing too much.

If they are running the same exact stuff with Hunt, Broyld, or whomever down the road that is one thing. But looking at what we're running out there I don't get the angst. Some of the playcalls have been headscratchers but that's going to happen.

And they certainly are not running a NYG NFL type offense either.

Agree with what you have said. But in the context of this thread, what they were was "multiple" and the freeze option was just one of the components. They did some things better than others -- didn't necessarily do everything great (as some here suggest).

Now an argument can be made that the employed the Freeze Option SO well that it overcame their deficiencies in other parts of their offense. But the fact remains, that the multiplicity was a big part of their strategy.
Here's the quote from the post that I replied to, including the bolded portion.

"When you get into the spread offense, you are immediately eliminating fullbacks and the tight end position from your offense. If you can become a good pro-style of attack with good personnel, the possibilities are endless. The flexibility in attacking teams becomes wide open."

you're going to tell me that I'm taking things out of context? I spoke directly to a good pro-style attack and having endless possibilities from said attack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom