Georgia Tech 1

Maryland 2

Miami 5

UNC 9

NC St 2

Virginia 5

Virginia Tech 8

Wake Forest 0

i thought we had a good jump on this class?

Am I the only one who doesn't get the "warm-n-fuzzies" with HCDM anymore? It always seems like we are a step behind...or a step slow...or almost there with everything. Genuine concern.

Am I the only one who doesn't get the "warm-n-fuzzies" with HCDM anymore? It always seems like we are a step behind...or a step slow...or almost there with everything. Genuine concern.

Its still pretty early but a committ or two this month would be a huge help and ease some concerns. To me whats more concerning is I am not hearing a lot of recruits that are learning toward SU or SU is the favorite.

I think we can say GRob recruited better talent... DM is a better coach, but his recruiting isn't that good.

QB Nassib is better than any of DMs recruits so far. Loeb, Kinder, Hunt... FCS talent.
RB Delone Carter and Antown Bailey is better than his RBs Jerome Smith or PTG... Maybe Adonis Ameen Moore might be good, but Smith and PTG just aren't all league caliber talent. They are just very average.
WR M.Williams, Marcus Sales, and Alec Lemon are wayyyy better than his WRs. Kobena, Foster, West
TE Provo is better than all of TEs brought in by DM so far. Maybe Ron Thompson may change that?
OL: Slight edge to DMs players
DL Chandler Jones is better. DMs DEs like Brandon Sharpe and Torey Ball, just aren't that good. Donnie Simmons and Deon Goggins? Don't see a 1st Rd pick.
LB: Doug Hougue and Derel Smith were both very good... I actually see Spruill and Dyshawn Davis being very good... Maybe a push.
DB: I give a edge to DM here with Thomas brothers and Kyon Lyn.

DM has never brought in any big time prospect. All are diamond in the rough players. It's not looking like our recruiting is getting any better...

I think we can say GRob recruited better talent... DM is a better coach, but his recruiting isn't that good.

QB Nassib is better than any of DMs recruits so far. Loeb, Kinder, Hunt... FCS talent.
RB Delone Carter and Antown Bailey is better than his RBs Jerome Smith or PTG... Maybe Adonis Ameen Moore might be good, but Smith and PTG just aren't all league caliber talent. They are just very average.
WR M.Williams, Marcus Sales, and Alec Lemon are wayyyy better than his WRs. Kobena, Foster, West
TE Provo is better than all of TEs brought in by DM so far. Maybe Ron Thompson may change that?
OL: Slight edge to DMs players
DL Chandler Jones is better. DMs DEs like Brandon Sharpe and Torey Ball, just aren't that good. Donnie Simmons and Deon Goggins? Don't see a 1st Rd pick.
LB: Doug Hougue and Derel Smith were both very good... I actually see Spruill and Dyshawn
Davis being very good... Maybe a push.
DB: I give a edge to DM here with Thomas brothers and Kyon Lyn.
DM has never brought in any big time prospect. All are diamond in the rough players. It's not looking like our recruiting is getting any better...

Really? You have to compare year 3-4 DMs recruits against these recruits that you mentioned which DM coached up - the jury is still out as the current soph & fresh classes are quite decent. I wonder how Ashten B will be in 3 years as compared to Nassib at QB. You will need to eat crow at that time.

Personally GRob brought the program to the lowest of the lows (119 out of 120 BCS programs). Grob had a much better starting point.

When did you become such a complainer/winer?

That's what we were told a year ago by some on this board. We had last years class wrapped up, which we didn't and we were already working on this class, just like everyone else.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

How many spots do they need to fill - I think they need to be more selective this year do to the limited spots that are open. I kinda lost track of the number of open scholies.

yeah because if we had 3 no name recruits right now, like most of those schools above, we'd be so much further ahead and better off, right? :crazy:

A quick story that might make you feel a little better (or not): At Walt Disney World last month with my daughter's softball team. My older son and I decide to head to the Kingdom. On the bus, guy across from us notices my son's 'Cuse gear and comments in a friendly way about Syracuse. I tell him in a good natured way (Christ I am in the "happiest place on earth" after all) that we have great basketball and we used to have a football team. To my surprise, he tells me that 'Cuse football will be back and that Marrone is doing a great job. He must have noticed my quizzical look because he goes on to tell me that he is a Long Island head football coach and that as a group they are very impressed with Marrone. Says Marrone and/or his staff are in constant contact with the LI coaches. Makes clear that he is very impressed with their professionalism. Believes they are building great relationships that will pay off in better talent in the very near future. Labelled Robinson a disaster. Said the firing of P hurt a great deal because everyone loved him and D, but that Marrone has won them over.

Now, it was a random bus encounter, but this guy didn't know me from Adam and there was no reason in the world to offer up his unsolicited opinion other than he meant it.

I could be wrong, however I have to think DM is truly banking on this year for success. He knows he has a senior QB. I have to believe that they think that the defense will be much improved, I think they are banking on that actually. It is almost like a make it or break it year in some respects, I do not think so however. I just think that he is so locked in on the season right now with the belief that some of the more talented players will commit during the season. For some reason I do not believe that there will be a big flood of comitments during the summer, could be wrong. Watch the defense this year and the depth that we are building, I have a feeling that it is going to be fun to watch. Interesting how different the approaches are with Shafer and marrone in terms of aggressiveness. We all talk about it, maybe our offense was just so terribly lacking. I personally think that D. Carter won 3-4 games alone in the 2011 season, how many times was he hit behind the LOS and still made gains. I wish him well in INDY.

yeah because if we had 3 no name recruits right now, like most of those schools above, we'd be so much further ahead and better off, right? :crazy:
Nope, UConn got Tommy Hopkins! He's a household name already from what some on this board will make you believe lol when have we ever gotten a decent kid before May? The programs that are comparable to us have signed pretty much no one outside of local kids and ones that will not see more than one or two scholarship offers. Most of the kids we have offered still have new offers rolling in every week, of course they aren't going to commit yet!

I could be wrong, however I have to think DM is truly banking on this year for success. He knows he has a senior QB. I have to believe that they think that the defense will be much improved, I think they are banking on that actually. It is almost like a make it or break it year in some respects, I do not think so however. I just think that he is so locked in on the season right now with the belief that some of the more talented players will commit during the season. For some reason I do not believe that there will be a big flood of comitments during the summer, could be wrong. Watch the defense this year and the depth that we are building, I have a feeling that it is going to be fun to watch. Interesting how different the approaches are with Shafer and marrone in terms of aggressiveness. We all talk about it, maybe our offense was just so terribly lacking. I personally think that D. Carter won 3-4 games alone in the 2011 season, how many times was he hit behind the LOS and still made gains. I wish him well in INDY.[/quoteExcuse me 2010-2011 season

You beat me to it.

A quick story that might make you feel a little better (or not): At Walt Disney World last month with my daughter's softball team. My older son and I decide to head to the Kingdom. On the bus, guy across from us notices my son's 'Cuse gear and comments in a friendly way about Syracuse. I tell him in a good natured way (Christ I am in the "happiest place on earth" after all) that we have great basketball and we used to have a football team. To my surprise, he tells me that 'Cuse football will be back and that Marrone is doing a great job. He must have noticed my quizzical look because he goes on to tell me that he is a Long Island head football coach and that as a group they are very impressed with Marrone. Says Marrone and/or his staff are in constant contact with the LI coaches. Makes clear that he is very impressed with their professionalism. Believes they are building great relationships that will pay off in better talent in the very near future. Labelled Robinson a disaster. Said the firing of P hurt a great deal because everyone loved him and D, but that Marrone has won them over.

Now, it was a random bus encounter, but this guy didn't know me from Adam and there was no reason in the world to offer up his unsolicited opinion other than he meant it.

Hey, "It's a small world, afterall".

How many spots do they need to fill - I think they need to be more selective this year do to the limited spots that are open. I kinda lost track of the number of open scholies.

It will almost always be north of 20 and we are rarely if ever going to have to be super "selective."

Yup, take the six kids committed to Duke. Would we be fired up if we landed a kid and his only other offers were Duke and UConn?

People losing sleep over this is funny since people seem to forget that a huge criticism of PSU during their down era a few years ago, was that they were signing kids up to early and not waiting on the big fish.

Is DM a good recruiter? I'm not sure, but we'll find out. Until then all this conjecture is simply that -- conjecture. At most there are two or three posters who really know something about the kids we're recruiting.

I could be wrong, however I have to think DM is truly banking on this year for success. He knows he has a senior QB. I have to believe that they think that the defense will be much improved, I think they are banking on that actually. It is almost like a make it or break it year in some respects, I do not think so however. I just think that he is so locked in on the season right now with the belief that some of the more talented players will commit during the season. For some reason I do not believe that there will be a big flood of comitments during the summer, could be wrong. Watch the defense this year and the depth that we are building, I have a feeling that it is going to be fun to watch. Interesting how different the approaches are with Shafer and marrone in terms of aggressiveness. We all talk about it, maybe our offense was just so terribly lacking. I personally think that D. Carter won 3-4 games alone in the 2011 season, how many times was he hit behind the LOS and still made gains. I wish him well in INDY.

IMO and D and the OL are still a year away. I think 2013 can and will have to be the breakthrough year for Marrone. Yes we will lose Nassib, Sales, and Lemon on O. And that will be a big blow to our passing O. However I think the OL will be so much better with 4 returning starters and everyone being a year older vs being too young IMO to play this year. That will make our running game a lot better and even help make up for the losses we will have in the passing game. If one of Hunt/Broyld are decent at QB, I think the 2013 O will be improved. On D we really lose nothing that cannot be easily replaced so they should be good as well in 2013. This year I am worried about the DEs and LBs. Both positions are question marks going into the season. I really like our DBs and think we have good depth at DT. However if we cannot get a decent pass rush or stop the run, then having good DBs will mean nothing.

I think a Bowl game this year is quite a stretch. So what is most important to me is that we get better each week and set up for a run in 2013. If we see a 4th straight year were we get worse as the season goes on, I will be concerned.

Plenty of excuses in this thread and people playing both ends against the middle. When things got quiet last year, some said that was because we were done and had a bunch of silents including some big names. That didn't really happen. People said we were finally at the point where we could recruit ahead and that we had long started on this class. Maybe it will pan out and we have some silents already but we've heard that before. But regardless whether some other team has commits from a few weak players or not, teams that are our peers and better and the big boys all have commits.

No doubt we have a pretty good lock down on LI.

Plenty of excuses in this thread and people playing both ends against the middle. When things got quiet last year, some said that was because we were done and had a bunch of silents including some big names. That didn't really happen. People said we were finally at the point where we could recruit ahead and that we had long started on this class. Maybe it will pan out and we have some silents already but we've heard that before...

I dont know about this. Aside from Brantley, the class ended up exactly like most everyone thought it would. Morgan was the "big recruit," and last i checked, he will be wearing orange next year (or whatever color Nike tells us).

Bees, you are a champion stirrer.