Comparing 2019-2020 to 2015-2016 | Syracusefan.com

Comparing 2019-2020 to 2015-2016

earlfromclay

Walk On
Heading into this season, we knew the losses of Mangakahia and Drummond would be profound. To a lesser extent, but still significant to team depth at least, were the transfers of Vorakova and Sissoko. So, we all knew this team would most likely not be able to repeat its past performance. Even still, after the back to back 4th quarter collapses and subsequent overtime losses I wondered if there was a metric that could provide some answers. I compared this season through the Michigan game to the 2015-2016 title game season. A couple things are crystal clear. Firstly, and surprisingly, most statistics are remarkably similar to 2015-2016. SU's points per game, field goal%, 3pt %, ft%, assists, blocks, and opponents fg% are all very close. Here is were things start to differ. On the positive side, rebounding margin is now +6.2 compared to -0.8 per game. That looks pretty good. Now the bad, and what i believe is the problem for this team. In 2015-2016 SU stole the ball 12.6 per game, forced 23.9 turnovers, and had a turnover margin of +10.1 per game. This year, SU steals 6.3 per game, forces 14 turnovers, and has a turnover margin of -1.5 per game. WOW. that's a turnover margin difference of 11.6 possessions a game. On average, 1 point per possession would be an additional 11.6 points per game. That clearly would have won them the two overtime games.

Alright then. Now we know whats going on. What can be done. IMO, the press isn't as effective anymore. I don't think they have the right personnel to press. Maybe they just aren't quick enough, or don't understand where to be defensively, or a combination. Ultimately. they are expending a lot of wasted energy for no pay off. I say drop back into the zone, which has been relatively successful for them this year, and use the extra energy to better defend the three point line.

No Sykes on this year's team, her quickness made the press effective.

Speed and depth issues appear to be the major factor regarding the lack of steals and pressing as you mentioned. Looking back to 2015-2016 SU had 9 players who played in almost every single game with only Alexis and Brianna averaging more than 30 minutes (32.1 and 30.6). However this year we have 4 players averaging over 30 minutes/game and only 7 players who have played every game. We can’t press with tired players and can’t be as aggressive defensively because we don’t have the same depth to handle foul trouble and fatigue like the 2015-16 squad did.

The 2015-2016 team overcame their lack of rebounding and power game by playing very up tempo, stealing the ball, creating turnovers. Our rebounding improvement just hasn’t decreased our opponent’s scoring opportunities as much as our fast tempo, pressure game by creating turnovers and steals did 4 years ago. To be fair, our schedule has been much more difficult to date than 4 years ago too so comparing the stats and results may be misleading too.

It’s difficult for programs to transition through the years equally in their positive areas while upgrading their areas of weakness at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom