Comparing the controversial ends to both games vs. Duke | Syracusefan.com

Comparing the controversial ends to both games vs. Duke

senorpalmer

Living Legend
I can't help but feel that SU looks tougher when comparing the ways the Dome and Cameron games ended. Game 1, Hood takes it to the hole, Rak challenges him and wins the battle. People will argue about whether it should have been a foul or not but on defense at least SU decides to put up a fight without requiring the refs to make a call. Fast forward to last night, CJ makes his move to the basket, and instead of the defender trying to stop him from scoring, he slides in hoping the refs make a call to negate the basket. I would rather make a defensive stand with a blocked shot instead of trying to draw a charge.

I would rather make a defensive stand with a blocked shot instead of trying to draw a charge.

Bob Ryan was saying something similar this AM. When did defense turn into standing there hoping to get knocked over. How about the guy try to actually get there in time and defend the drive?

I think Dook has an argument that the first 39 minutes of this game were called more evenly than the first one. That's not unreasonable imo.
But...

I can't help but feel that SU looks tougher when comparing the ways the Dome and Cameron games ended. Game 1, Hood takes it to the hole, Rak challenges him and wins the battle. People will argue about whether it should have been a foul or not but on defense at least SU decides to put up a fight without requiring the refs to make a call. Fast forward to last night, CJ makes his move to the basket, and instead of the defender trying to stop him from scoring, he slides in hoping the refs make a call to negate the basket. I would rather make a defensive stand with a blocked shot instead of trying to draw a charge.

I wish I could give this 2+ likes.
You're also sooooo much more likely to fade a whistle on D up 1 than you are to get one up 2, it's ridiculous. I feel like every basketball fan knows this. It's pretty ridiculous that people try to equate the two endings.

biggest difference in the 2 contested calls IMO is that last nights call wiped 2 (possibly 3) points off the board. that wasn't the case in syracuse.

I think Dook has an argument that the first 39 minutes of this game were called more evenly than the first one. That's not unreasonable imo.

It's completely unreasonable imo.

Especially when you factor in [1] how their style of play led to the foul disparity in game one, and [2] the absurd preferential home cooking they benefited from in game two.