Concern About Fan Support In 2021 - COVID19 / Play On The Field | Syracusefan.com

Concern About Fan Support In 2021 - COVID19 / Play On The Field

BVille44

All Conference
As a 30 year football season ticket holder I am very concerned about the effect this COVID19 season with no fans and the play on the field will have on the 2021 season.

I am a die hard SU football fan like everyone else on this board but I can honestly say I am not excited about this football team or season watching games on television at home with no fans. It feels like I am watching an exhibition NFL game every Saturday.

My fear is SU will lose a substantial number of season ticket holders from the 2019 season based upon the product on the field (our Orange is the New Fast offense simply does not exist), the dome renovation will not be a big deal in September 2021 (especially if fans see the new lighting during the basketball season), fans have found other things to do to fill their Saturday afternoons, and casual fans have realized sitting at home watching the games on a 50” HDTV is better than spending $200+ on tickets/food/beverages/parking inside the dome.

I may be way off base but I think the new Cuse Council and Athletic Department will have its work cut out for itself trying to convince people in CNY who have been out of work due to COVID19 or found other things to do to buy season tickets in 2021.

I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
yeah, disagree

I find myself wishing I was at the dome every Saturday.

nothing like live sports. Can not be replaced

Not gonna lie. These thoughts have been seeping in to my subconscious. It’s been so deflating these last 20 years. Just when I thought we were turning the corner and went to the Camping World Bowl, ( I went too), we follow up with the last 2 seasons. So discouraging. I just don’t see us digging out of this 20 year funk. Just like others, I spend a lot of time and money following this program. I’m demoralized

There will be 11 people in the stands next year.

We'll be back to these days sadly...
IMG_3661.jpg

Not gonna lie. These thoughts have been seeping in to my subconscious. It’s been so deflating these last 20 years. Just when I thought we were turning the corner and went to the Camping World Bowl, ( I went too), we follow up with the last 2 seasons. So discouraging. I just don’t see us digging out of this 20 year funk. Just like others, I spend a lot of time and money following this program. I’m demoralized

That’s my feeling exactly.

I volunteered on the Cuse Fan Council, purchase four season tickets (but only use two of them), donate monthly to the Orange Club, and travel to several road games every season. Demoralized is the perfect word for how I feel being a fan of this program.

I’ll buy seasons til I parish.

no more faith without evidence for me though.

My fear is SU will lose a substantial number of season ticket holders from the 2019 season based upon the product on the field (our Orange is the New Fast offense simply does not exist), the dome renovation will not be a big deal in September 2021 (especially if fans see the new lighting during the basketball season), fans have found other things to do to fill their Saturday afternoons, and casual fans have realized sitting at home watching the games on a 50” HDTV is better than spending $200+ on tickets/food/beverages/parking inside the dome

You have some very valid points. I know from talking to others about this is once a fan gives up season tickets most just drop off the radar. Sure they watch the team on tv and take in a game or 2 but that's it, once they are gone they are gone. Lets not overlook the stupid plan to go to mobile tickets that will keep some in town away from taking in a game as it is too much of a hassle.

The current state of the program is that for me, at this moment in time, seeing the building and the score board far outweighs any desire to see the actual football team.

That is severely screwed up. And is going to make it hard to justify the drive any time soon, even if we are somehow able to get in there