Concerts in the next gen Carrier Dome. | Syracusefan.com

Concerts in the next gen Carrier Dome.

DoubleDee

All American
We were talking at work. Other than the big legendary acts ( McCartney, John, Garth, etc), who could possibly pull it off and fill the Dome?
Bruce, the Stones and the likes are obvious answers even though you couldn’t pay me lol.

Nothing on the heavy side since Bon Jovi / Skid Row in maybe ‘89?

so who you got that could fill the dome?

For me:
For my tastes I think the only close ones would be Metallica, and Maiden. And that’s only close. It would take the Sabbath reunion, and even bigger a Zep reunion to fill it with heavy metal.

In the 80s we had currents. Journey, Rush, Van Halen, Floyd, U2, Police etc

Current stars that could for sure fill it?
Swift
Timberlake
One Direction reunion (which is apparently happening)
Tim McGraw / Faith Hill
Foo fighters?
its tough. I don’t see many shows like we used to get other than legends that will eventually go away. What say you?

Not one that I would personally attend even if i lived in Syracuse, but I bet Taylor Swift could fill the Dome

Trans Siberian Orchestra went from the Landmark, to the War Memorial, to taking Syracuse right off their tour. The guitarist Chris Caffery told me the only reason is that their stage show was so big and elaborate that the War Memorial could not physically support the show. Not because of size, but weight, the structure itself.
That said, they sell out every show. Two touring companies, one East one west. I could see them pulling a good crowd there. Might be a little more fire than Pete would like. Lol

I'm not big on concerts but if Arcade Fire played the dome, I'd be there.

This made me look into some things and it leads to a question. Once the new roof renovation is complete, will the dome then be considered an Indoor Arena and not a Dome? Apparently this is a distinction and it appears that, per Wikipedia, the “dome” would become the second largest arena in the world if it is categorized as such post renovation.

I don't understand why a new roof makes the concert concept any more profitable for the building. Wasn't Sala quoted a few years ago as saying that the concert biz is so skewed in favor of the promoter that it's tough to make ends meet for the building? I imagine we get the occasional dinosaur big name (McCartney, Springsteen, etc) and the very few current artists who could fill the venue, but I agree the number of artists who could do it are few and far between.

This made me look into some things and it leads to a question. Once the new roof renovation is complete, will the dome then be considered an Indoor Arena and not a Dome? Apparently this is a distinction and it appears that, per Wikipedia, the “dome” would become the second largest arena in the world if it is categorized as such post renovation.

For NCAA Tournament purposes, the NCAA considers the Dome to be a large arena, as opposed to a small football stadium.

I don't understand why a new roof makes the concert concept any more profitable for the building. Wasn't Sala quoted a few years ago as saying that the concert biz is so skewed in favor of the promoter that it's tough to make ends meet for the building? I imagine we get the occasional dinosaur big name (McCartney, Springsteen, etc) and the very few current artists who could fill the venue, but I agree the number of artists who could do it are few and far between.
I have read some acts won't play the Dome because the sound quality in it is so bad. That problem should go away now.
I think we have had to turn away acts with a lot of explosions and fire (McCartney had a little) in the past. That should not be a problem any longer.

The venue will, for the first time. be usable during the summer. I think summer is the most popular time for tours. This should help some too.

I think the scoreboards and better lighting might help a little as well. Especially if we opted for the entertainment package for the LED lights.

Not sure how many acts can take advantage of a venue as big as the Dome. Hopefully now that we are building it, they will come.

I have read some acts won't play the Dome because the sound quality in it is so bad. That problem should go away now.
I think we have had to turn away acts with a lot of explosions and fire (McCartney had a little) in the past. That should not be a problem any longer.

The venue will, for the first time. be usable during the summer. I think summer is the most popular time for tours. This should help some too.

I think the scoreboards and better lighting might help a little as well. Especially if we opted for the entertainment package for the LED lights.

Not sure how many acts can take advantage of a venue as big as the Dome. Hopefully now that we are building it, they will come.
I always thought it was a county vs SU squabble that killed big concerts here. For years we got lol the big names. And if the acoustics were an issue, I think the Stones, Pink Floyd, Billy Joel, etc would’ve been one and done, but they were not.

I always thought it was a county vs SU squabble that killed big concerts here. For years we got lol the big names. And if the acoustics were an issue, I think the Stones, Pink Floyd, Billy Joel, etc would’ve been one and done, but they were not.
There were major problems for a long time with concerts at the dome but I think it was with the city, not the county.

My memory is that the city first tried to pull the tax exempt status from the dome when they started hosting concerts, as these were not related to education/the university. There were disagreements over whether SU should pay for the police support required for major concerts too (they require a lot of OT for the officers helping to manage traffic, patrol inside, etc). The county would also get a cut of that tax money and was supportive but I think the city, as it often does, led the charge against SU.

Regardless, that was all resolved years ago.

Acoustics were an issue with the old roof. That didn’t prevent all acts from coming but it has been an issue from the first concert and has remained an issue even to the last concert by Paul McCartney. Hosting concerts is a competitive thing and having a couple of major weaknesses compared to the competition has hurt their ability to book some acts. This is a fact. There have been a number of articles discussing it In the Syracuse newspapers in the past. If you care to educate yourself, google articles on the McCartney concert (or some of the other concerts) and learn more.

For the record, I didn’t say bad acoustics prevented them booking any acts. It has hindered their ability to book some acts, regardless of what you think.

Last edited:
There were major problems for a long time with concerts at the dome but I think it was with the city, not the county.

My memory is that the city first tried to pull the tax exempt status from the dome when they started hosting concerts, as these were not related to education/the university. There were disagreements over whether SU should pay for the police support required for major concerts too (they require a lot of OT for the officers helping to manage traffic, patrol inside, etc). The county would also get a cut of that tax money and was supportive but I think the city, as it often does, led the charge against SU.

Acoustics were an issue with the old roof. That didn’t prevent all acts from coming but it has been an issue from the first concert and has remained an issue even to the last concert by Paul McCartney. Hosting concerts is a competitive thing and having a couple of major weaknesses compared to the competition has hurt their ability to book some acts. This is a fact. There have been a number of articles discussing it In the Syracuse newspapers in the past. If you care to educate yourself, google articles on the McCartney concert (or some of the other concerts) and learn more.

For the record, I didn’t say bad acoustics prevented them booking any acts. It has hindered their ability to book some acts, regardless of what you think.

Having worked in the concert industry for almost 40 years around the world, I can say with confidence that for 95% of the artists that are at the big arena level, having the most seats and being able to fill them outweighs acoustics. By a lot.

And the biggest complaint from the concert patrons since the first Santana concert continues to be parking.

Having worked in the concert industry for almost 40 years around the world, I can say with confidence that for 95% of the artists that are at the big arena level, having the most seats and being able to fill them outweighs acoustics. By a lot.

And the biggest complaint from the concert patrons since the first Santana concert continues to be parking.
I agree with the first part. The problem with the dome here is that it is in competition for big acts with other venues that are just as big or bigger and have good acoustics (and better parking too).

Having a big venue with guaranteed great conditions, regardless of the season, couple with what should be good acoustics is going to position the venue better to book big acts. No one else in the Northeast US can offer this. I am hoping we see more big act concerts as a result. Especially in the summer.

I agree with the first part. The problem with the dome here is that it is in competition for big acts with other venues that are just as big or bigger and have good acoustics (and better parking too).

Having a big venue with guaranteed great conditions, regardless of the season, couple with what should be good acoustics is going to position the venue better to book big acts. No one else in the Northeast US can offer this. I am hoping we see more big act concerts as a result. Especially in the summer.

Madison Square Garden says hello. I hope that you're right about the new roof helping with the acoustics, but my acoustical engineering friends say it won't make much of a difference. Still too many hard concrete surfaces.

Hopefully we are having big shows in the near future.

The Dome is a bit of a tweener, the super stages don't fit and the place doesn't generate luxury box numbers. A suite at Cap One for U2, Bruce type of shows bring in over 20K alone.

Not one that I would personally attend even if i lived in Syracuse, but I bet Taylor Swift could fill the Dome
My wife went to see her in Foxboro. Loved it. Said it was a great show. She also saw Jason Mraz, and Ed Sheeran. I think Sheeran and Swift would fill the Dome.

Lol. Easy dude. I never said that there no issues with acoustics. I was only pointing out that despite bad acoustics, the biggest acts came back multiple times.

Madison Square Garden says hello. I hope that you're right about the new roof helping with the acoustics, but my acoustical engineering friends say it won't make much of a difference. Still too many hard concrete surfaces.
No, I was talking about big acts in big indoor arenas. There are a bunch of 20K arenas in the Northeast but only one 50K one.

No, I was talking about big acts in big indoor arenas. There are a bunch of 20K arenas in the Northeast but only one 50K one.

Sorry to be confusing. No question the dome is the biggest indoor concert venue in the Northeast, if not the U.S.

What I meant was that MSG is the one place in the Northeast that an artist would choose to perform at instead of the dome regardless of the difference in revenue. There's alot of pride in the industry to performing at MSG, and the biggest badge of honor is "I sold out MSG for XX days in a row".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom