Conference Tournament Performance Translates to NCAA Success | Syracusefan.com

Conference Tournament Performance Translates to NCAA Success

Cuseball

Starter
Despite my disgust with how the season played out, I couldn't help thinking about the makup of this year's Sweet Sixteen. Many on the board say conference tournmaents are meaningless. Here's a pretty strong counter to that assumption.

There are 16 teams remaining in the hunt for the championship:
  • 12 of these teams played in their conference championship game (Florida, Kentucky, MSU, Michigan, UCLA, Zona, Ville, Uconn, Iowa State, Baylor, Virginia, SD State)
  • 3 of the other teams lost to the eventual conference tournament champion in their tournament (Tennessee lost to Florida, Wisconsin lost to Michigan State and Stanford lost to UCLA)
  • only Dayton did neither of the above as they lost to St. Joes by 3
I'm too lazy to look at previous years but for this season it is quite obvious that doing well in the conference tournaments translated into a good run in the NCAA's.

Cuse!

I think this year more than most teams needed to get into a rhythm and the conference tourney's provided that. (aside from 'zona and florida). Most teams this year were very flawed, so I think winning a few, helps struggling teams with some talent get into the proper mindset for the stretch run.

I think this year more than most teams needed to get into a rhythm and the conference tourney's provided that. (aside from 'zona and florida). Most teams this year were very flawed, so I think winning a few, helps struggling teams with some talent get into the proper mindset for the stretch run.
I agree. Last year we were the perfect example of that. Since we lost in the final to Louisville, it kind of got forgotten about a bit with the huge Final Four run, but I thought the 3 wins and good half were vital in giving them the rhythm and confidence for the NCAA run. If I remember they were even in worse shape at the end of the regular season than this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom