Conference Tourny | Syracusefan.com

Conference Tourny

Stevenson

2023 Cali Award Winner Pts Against & Passing Yards
I used to watch every Big East tourny game. Not just the ones Syracuse was playing in. Many in person from 1985 thru 1997. When not in person, I’d take the of day off and watch from the bar.

I can count on one hand the ACC tourney games I have watched.

It just isn’t the same.

Last edited:
Conference has been dominated by Duke/Virginia/UNC
Not really the reason why, imo.
The old BE tournament was must see. In the heat of the GTOWN rivalry, I remember for a lot of years i valued the BET more than the NCAAs even.
In the ACC era, pragmatism has shown that the only thing that matters is the Dance. Could care less how we do in the ACCT. As long as we make the 2nd weekend w/ a chance for the F4...the season is a success.

Last edited:
Sadly...the same...the reason? Quality of the play is hideous.

Reactions: CIL
it still bugs me that we don't have a conference that represents the northeastern sector of the country. You know, the one with the most population. Instead the top eastern schools have attached themselves to conferences that are based elsewhere. I looked at a montage of the history of the ACC tournament and that shot of the programs from the 50's, 60's and 70's and said "Wait a minute- that's not us. That's not our heritage.

I used to watch every Big East tourny game. Not just the ones Syracuse was playing in. Many in person from 1985 thru 1997. When not in person, I’d take the of day off and watch from the bar.

It just isn’t the same.

I agree. We were so vested in the Big East after being a founder/leader in the league for so many years, it just became a part of us. Our lack of success in the ACC tourney doesn't make me want to watch. I still follow online but don't get to excited when I miss them.

I pretty much hate everything about this conference:

Raycom. May it die a painful hard death.

The southern announcers who have no knowledge of any team outside of Tobacco Road.

The officiating that is very much biased toward Tobacco Road.

The upstate New York fans who are bandwagon Duke fans.

The fans in general.

And yes I pretty much hate everything about the south(not including Florida which I don't consider the south).

I get it, and I went to every Big East Tournament game we played in for a while, but perhaps the reason we can’t fully engage in the ACCT, is because we’ve been so mediocre in the conference...

If we had a better team, I’d be in Charlotte and crazy excited for today.

We play Duke in the nightcap. The 4 games all involve high profile tourney teams. Big name programs. Big name coaches. Big name players.

What more do we need?...

The answer - We need to be good again.

I get it, and I went to every Big East Tournament game we played in for a while, but perhaps the reason we can’t fully engage in the ACCT, is because we’ve been so mediocre in the conference...

If we had a better team, I’d be in Charlotte and crazy excited for today.

We play Duke in the nightcap. The 4 games all involve high profile tourney teams. Big name programs. Big name coaches. Big name players.

What more do we need?... The answer - We need to be good again.

Nah.

We will never ever see highlights from our big wins in the past against Pitt, Georgetown, UConn, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Villanova, and St. Johns.

We will be forced to watch highlights of Wake Forest and Georgia Tech when they were good 25 years ago while listening to someone with a southern accent speak about the great times of ACC past.

That's what bothers me most.

We are an outlaw.

It's really MSG vs. not MSG.

The Big East tourney itself had its glory days ripped away little by little each decade. In the 90's by the creation of the football conference, which eventually brought in the new teams for all sports. in the 00's by the ACC original expansion.

I can't answer for everyone, but I can't recall once being interested in the Tuesday Rutgers-DePaul matchup at MSG.

I pretty much hate everything about this conference:

Raycom. May it die a painful hard death.

The southern announcers who have no knowledge of any team outside of Tobacco Road.

The officiating that is very much biased toward Tobacco Road.

The upstate New York fans who are bandwagon Duke fans.

The fans in general.

And yes I pretty much hate everything about the south(not including Florida which I don't consider the south).
I’m as Long Island as it gets but love the South.

I live in Atlanta and spend 3 days a week at my place in downtown Greenville and love both cities.

Northern Florida is very similar to Georgia and the Carolinas. South Florida is its own thing. Alabama & Tennessee are not like Georgia/Carolinas. Louisiana is basically Alabama with New Orleans.

I live in Atlanta and spend 3 days a week at my place in downtown Greenville and love both cities.

Northern Florida is very similar to Georgia and the Carolinas. South Florida is its own thing. Alabama & Tennessee are not like Georgia/Carolinas. Louisiana is basically Alabama with New Orleans.

Exactly. I split my childhood between Syracuse and just outside of Atlanta and then moved to Kansas. There are actually good and bad things about all the places. Nice to see someone else has experienced life outside the northeast also.

Agree about Raycom - looking forward to the ACC Network. But there were plenty of complaints about Big East announcers and officiating also.

You need to spend some time in Mississippi and Arkansas

It's really MSG vs. not MSG.

The Big East tourney itself had its glory days ripped away little by little each decade. In the 90's by the creation of the football conference, which eventually brought in the new teams for all sports. in the 00's by the ACC original expansion.

I can't answer for everyone, but I can't recall once being interested in the Tuesday Rutgers-DePaul matchup at MSG.

That is a big part of it but I also miss the teams. Pitt, BC, and to a lesser extent ND are with us now but they are no longer good. UConn and Georgetown are gone. UNC and Duke will never be as hated. St. John’s left in the 1990s but who replaces them? And Nova?
Even Seton Hall and Providence were more similar as a school, private and Northeastern. Heck even WV and RU were more attractive give their Easterrness. Sure you can easily swap out DePaul, Marquette, Cincy, and USF. But how do you replace the rest? Let’s be honest the old ACC has boring teams outside Duke and UNC.

That is a big part of it but I also miss the teams. Pitt, BC, and to a lesser extent ND are with us now but they are no longer good. UConn and Georgetown are gone. UNC and Duke will never be as hated. St. John’s left in the 1990s but who replaces them? And Nova?
Even Seton Hall and Providence were more similar as a school, private and Northeastern. Heck even WV and RU were more attractive give their Easterrness. Sure you can easily swap out DePaul, Marquette, Cincy, and USF. But how do you replace the rest? Let’s be honest the old ACC has boring teams outside Duke and UNC.

Duke will be as hated, but UNC won't be (unless you walk a day in Bayside's shoes).

Syracuse, St. John's, Georgetown, and then Syracuse, UConn, Georgetown at MSG can never be replaced. It just can't.

But at the end of the day it wasn't sustainable because of football. The Big East tourney wasn't nearly as great, (still had its moments though). ACC with Duke and UNC isn't the worst place to land. Ask UConn.

It just isn’t the same.
Watching St John's and Marquette right now reminiscing about all those trips to MSG.....Some great times. I miss it.

Watching St John's and Marquette right now reminiscing about all those trips to MSG...Some great times. I miss it.

Providence vs. Villanova did it for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom