Conference with hardest road venues? | Syracusefan.com

Conference with hardest road venues?

PoppyHart

All American
On the whole, the old BE was hardly imposing from a road team standpoint. The quality of the team seemed to play more way more into the potential for a loss as opposed to the "magic" of the venue. There's nothing overwhelmingly imposing about an off campus NBA arena. Rutgers and Providence might be the exceptions, where the quality of the program was out of proportion to the toughness of the venue.

So, which conference has the best home court advantage?

I think it's a tie between the Big 10 and Big 12. In the Big 12, you basically have only 2 gimmes in Texas Tech and TCU. The Big 10 has Nebraska and Penn State. In the Big 12, ISU and K State appear to have a significant home court advantage relative to their profile, while Northwestern seems to pull off a lot of miracles at home.

Overall I think it's the B1G, but there's some star power in the ACC. You have the Carrier Dome, Peterson Center, Cameron Indoor, KFC Yum, Joyce Center, and Dean Dome.

The MWC has some good venues; Thomas and Mack Center, The Pit, Viejas Arena, and Smith Spectrum.

You can verify this with statistics but I think Pittsburgh and Duke and ridiculous home court advantages based on the numbers. So does Louisville. I think the Orange are pretty good in the Dome too!

I think if you take the average of the conference it may be the Big 12. Its only 10 teams. B10 also deserves consideration.

Kansas, Iowa St, and Kansas St are really tough venues to play at - some of the biggest home advantages in the country. Oklahoma St is another tough venue to play at with a good fan base. West Virginia can be tough, even if they are down. It does have some so-so places like Baylor, Texas, and TCU. and some duds like Texas Tech and TCU where neither the venues or the team are tough.

ACC has some really tough venues, but I think there are many indifferent venues as well.

It is the one new challenge that Syracuse faces in the ACC - the Big East was mostly big arenas and not the standard college venue.

The MWC has some good venues; Thomas and Mack Center, The Pit, Viejas Arena, and Smith Spectrum.

I love watching late night MWC games at the Smith Spectrum. The fans and venue are a zoo. As I was too young for games at Manley (besides the GW game in 94) ; I wonder if the venue and fan participation are comparable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom