Confirmed: Melo will opt out | Syracusefan.com

Confirmed: Melo will opt out

moqui

generational talent
straight from the horse's mouth:

“I want to be a free agent,” Anthony tells me, as our cigars burn close to the nub. “I think everybody in the NBA dreams to be a free agent at least one time in their career. It’s like you have an evaluation period, you know. It’s like if I’m in the gym and I have all the coaches, all the owners, all the GMs come into the gym and just evaluate everything I do. So yes, I want that experience.”

of course, it was always likely that he would opt out . . . just as it is unlikely that he will sign with anyone other than the Knicks

straight from the horse's mouth:

of course, it was always likely that he would opt out . . . just as it is unlikely that he will sign with anyone other than the Knicks
I really think (hope?) that the Knicks are going to do some serious work this year... Melo's year to shine, as a Knicks fan we need it. Bad.

In other words ... Melo wants to see how much hay he can get in his barn.

I just hope he finds the right system and doesn't end up a lone wolf again. Hes a iso player, cant think of any player/position hes meshed real well with, maybe iverson for awhile.

This is not really news. He has to opt out in order for NY to max him out. He makes more money by opting out and resigning rather than signing the qualifying offer. NYK can still offer him roughly 35 million more than any other team.

So who else is coming up in this free agent class? When does LBJ come up again?

Just wondering if, with Wade starting to break down, they may be talking in little back channels about putting together a new "big 3" someplace like, say...Los Angeles? Kobe rides off into the sunset and they somehow manage to pull off getting extremely close friends Melo and LBJ to take up the mantle?

Just wondering if, with Wade starting to break down, they may be talking in little back channels about putting together a new "big 3" someplace like, say...Los Angeles? Kobe rides off into the sunset and they somehow manage to pull off getting extremely close friends Melo and LBJ to take up the mantle?

Lebron can also opt out after next season as well (I'm pretty sure Bosh and Wade can as well) I have read that LA does not believe that LBJ would be interested in going to LA...they may not have enough for a big three if they resign Kobe and sign another star. No one really thinks Melo will sign for less than the max so they may be out of luck as far as getting Lebron as well.

I can honestly see LBJ going back home to play with CLE as they will be loaded with young talent. There have been thoughts that he could play out the last two years and join NY with Melo in 2015 as NY will have cap space. That's crazy talk though so that's def not happening.

I hope he makes a basketball decision and not just a money decision. No matter where he goes (or stays), he's getting paid. It's merely rich-vs-a little richer.

Lakers will only have Nash under contract after this season. Kobe would have to take a hit on his salary, but then they would sign Bron and Melo at the max and then fill out the rest of the roster.

Obviously, at this point, that is a long, long, long shot and there would be zero chance it could happen with Dantoni still there.

PG: Best player is probably Darren Collison unless the Spurs randomly decide to move on from Tony Parker

SG: Wade, Kobe, Gordon Hayward (restricted), Evan Turner (restricted), Lance Stephenson, Jamal Crawford, Jason Richardson (player option)

SF: Pierce, Granger, Melo, LeBron, Deng, Rudy Gay (if he's dumb enough to opt out of $19 million)

PF: Dirk, Zach Randolph (player option), Derrick Favors (restricted), Greg Monroe (restricted), Pau Gasol, Tristan Thompson (team option), Amare (can opt out, but would be stupid to do so), Tim Duncan (player option which he's pretty much guaranteed to take unless he retires), Derrick Williams (team option), Bargnani (can opt out, but would be dumb to do so), Ed Davis (restricted),

C: Varejao (under contract, but not guaranteed, so he could be cut to free up cap), Bosh (can opt out), Bogut, Gortat