conley | Syracusefan.com

conley

kcsu

Living Legend
I dont think HCDM and Dan saw eye to eye. Dan may have been a little too much of a players coach. As to Dan being let go because he cant coach does anyone happen to remember that he took two RB's and turned them into NFL LB's.

Did you see Hackett when he coached on the sidelines? He was the team's biggest cheerleader. Player's coach for sure.

We are all sad if true about Conley but I think you swung and missed on this one.

Did you see Hackett when he coached on the sidelines? He was the team's biggest cheerleader. Player's coach for sure.

We are all sad if true about Conley but I think you swung and missed on this one.
Post isnt about Hack. As to Dan i hope that he hasnt been let go . I have no idea if he is a good coach or not or if he is a good recruiter as that isnt my thing. What i do know is that he took a couple of guys that were RB and turned them into NFL LB i hope im wrong about him leaving.

Post isnt about Hack. As to Dan i hope that he hasnt been let go . I have no idea if he is a good coach or not or if he is a good recruiter as that isnt my thing. What i do know is that he took a couple of guys that were RB and turned them into NFL LB i hope im wrong about him leaving.
did D. Smith go to the NFL? I didn't realize that - very cool.

Your post guessed that Doug and Dan didn't see eye to eye because Dan was a player's coach. I said that I don't think being a player's coach could be an issue, as we have other player's coaches who are being retained.

Conley is going to have a long career in coaching. Sad to see him go, but it wouldn't surprise me if we see him come back sometime in the future...

I am OK with Marrone making moves but it is odd that Conley and Brumbaugh were coaching on a defense that was excellent two years ago, but after they struggled down the stretch this year, they're the ones that are gone. Meanwhile, the offense has struggled mightily for two years and we're not seeing any movement? I know this point has been made, but I think it's worth point out that it's an odd scenario regardless of your stance on Marrone.

Not saying your wrong, but one would think if the credit is to go to Dan, and he took 2 RB and turned them into NFL caliber LBs, then he should have been able to do something with this years group of LBs. So that begs the question of deserves the credit of them becoming the NFL talents that they are.

he had two new starters this year and Spruill was new to the middle. Again who knows i just find it odd that Dan was let go if true and others on O retained

the lack of offensive terminations is perplexing:crazy:-
big dan had nothing to work with this year-spruill was inside for the first time and is undersized to play the middle-davis may have been the crappiest backer in su history for the first 10 games and was also way small and weak-
and the other side was sadled with less athletic people than a home for the aged:bang:

dan has shown that if you give him a real div1 linebacker he can get them to do a good job-
marrone has shown nothing on offense for 3 years and has yet to take himself out of the offense or hire a oc who has a ability to design and exicute a offense other than his vaunted "dead horse"

I dont think HCDM and Dan saw eye to eye. Dan may have been a little too much of a players coach. As to Dan being let go because he cant coach does anyone happen to remember that he took two RB's and turned them into NFL LB's.

The linebackers sucked bad this year and the next recruit that Conley lands out of western PA might be the first.

This is why I hate filling a staff full of alumni. its tough to cut them loose and then all the arm chair coaches cry about it. wah.

The linebackers sucked bad this year and the next recruit that Conley lands out of western PA might be the first.

This is why I hate filling a staff full of alumni. its tough to cut them loose and then all the arm chair coaches cry about it. wah.
Phat can you please name just one thing that you think that Doug needs to improve. I love your devotion to him but is there anything that you can find fault with? I will give you this you are very loyal and that is a great trait i just dont get the fact that it is so blind and geared towards Doug vs the program

First part is completely false. Second part may be true, but maybe they were such great athletes they made him look better than he was.

the lack of offensive terminations is perplexing:crazy:-
big dan had nothing to work with this year-spruill was inside for the first time and is undersized to play the middle-davis may have been the crappiest backer in su history for the first 10 games and was also way small and weak-
and the other side was sadled with less athletic people than a home for the aged:bang:

Spruill played inside his whole career in HS and Prep until freshman year here. Inside is a better role for him, he struggled in coverage on the outside and is a good run stopper. He is 6'3'', 230, not sure how that is undersized for a college linebacker.

Davis is small, but he sure wasn't the worst LB in SU history, that is insane. (any of the scrubs who played there under Grob were far worse) Davis was a true freshman and will get better, but he didn't have the impact of a EJ Carter or Marquis Spruill playing WLB.

Cam Lynch and Dan Vaughan being unathletic is news to me, both players are quick, strong, and have good lateral quickness. I'm sure this is just a shot at Dan being white since you clearly don't watch the games.

I think Dan struggled this year. Talent wasn't the main issue here. It's about 65/35 on Dan.

First part is completely false. Second part may be true, but maybe they were such great athletes they made him look better than he was.
Wow pretty harsh on Dan. I think he did a heck of a job with Doug and Smith and Spruill. What did anyone expect this year? As to him and Doug are you sure?

Wow pretty harsh on Dan. I think he did a heck of a job with Doug and Smith and Spruill. What did anyone expect this year? As to him and Doug are you sure?
I don't think he did a terrible job, but his recruiting wasn't there. I think he was average, which isn't cutting it when you are coaching up most of your players.

As to him and Doug, from everything I heard, they were very good friends so this had to be hard on Doug.

Phat can you please name just one thing that you think that Doug needs to improve. I love your devotion to him but is there anything that you can find fault with? I will give you this you are very loyal and that is a great trait i just dont get the fact that it is so blind and geared towards Doug vs the program

I love your devotion to bashing Marrone and trying to turn a thread you started about Conley into that without anyone else mentioning Marrone.

I like DC, but if he wasn't a Cuse guy I'm not sure anyone would be that sad to see him go. He wasn't a great recruiter, and our linebackers tackled poorly and couldn't figure out how to make reads and tackle a running QB. Our LBs, more than any unit, regressed as the season wore on.

The 2 NFL LB's arguement was made in another thread, specifically did DC make 2 NFL type LB's, or did 2 NFL type LBs make DC? Not sure we know the answer and you can pick either side depending on the point you want to prove at that given time.

Give it up already!

I think most of us feel that Conley not being retained seems questionable on the surface. But one thing I've learned along the way is that when people are let go, there's always a lot more to the story than meets the eye. The company line may be "to spend more time with family" or "to pursue other interests" or "philosophical differences", but the real reason is usually known only to the two main parties involved. There's no reason to continue your assault on Marrone using baseless speculation.

Spruill played inside his whole career in HS and Prep until freshman year here. Inside is a better role for him, he struggled in coverage on the outside and is a good run stopper. He is 6'3'', 230, not sure how that is undersized for a college linebacker.

Davis is small, but he sure wasn't the worst LB in SU history, that is insane. (any of the scrubs who played there under Grob were far worse) Davis was a true freshman and will get better, but he didn't have the impact of a EJ Carter or Marquis Spruill playing WLB.

Cam Lynch and Dan Vaughan being unathletic is news to me, both players are quick, strong, and have good lateral quickness. I'm sure this is just a shot at Dan being white since you clearly don't watch the games.

I think Dan struggled this year. Talent wasn't the main issue here. It's about 65/35 on Dan.

davis sucked plain and simple to say otherwise shows you didnt watch the games (i bet you think macky was awsome also)
su might say spruill is 6-3 230-they lied-playing mlb in highschool and div1 aint the same

as far as lynch and vaughn-i could care less one is white and one was a true freshman-the white kid played ever so slightly better than davis so it aint a race thing dingbat-

anyone who says this wasnt one if not the weakest group of backers in su hsitory hasnt watched many games-

anyone who has watched the marrone era and doesnt think offense should have been priority number one is no fan of the program

davis sucked plain and simple to say otherwise shows you didnt watch the games (i bet you think macky was awsome also)
su might say spruill is 6-3 230-they lied-playing mlb in highschool and div1 aint the same

as far as lynch and vaughn-i could care less one is white and one was a true freshman-the white kid played ever so slightly better than davis so it aint a race thing dingbat-

anyone who says this wasnt one if not the weakest group of backers in su hsitory hasnt watched many games-

anyone who has watched the marrone era and doesnt think offense should have been priority number one is no fan of the program
Then I must not be a fan of the program. :blah:

Pure poetry.

Well done.

I can't comment on Smith, but everybody except Grob and D. Hogue knew that his future was a LB coming out of High School. When Marrone moved him to LB, I remember D. Hogue's brother posting on the old board that everyone knew (Including D. Hogue at that point) if D. Hogue was going to play at the next level it was as a LB. So I don't know how much Conley coached him up that everyone said had NFL talent at LB..

All year long, there have been complaints on this board about tackling and bad LB play. So two guys on the defense get let go, and everyone wonders why?????

Soooooo you bash the defense... then end with offense should be priority number 1?

There isn't 1 clear cut top priority which you just unknowingly pointed out. We need improvement everywhere.

I don't think he did a terrible job, but his recruiting wasn't there. I think he was average, which isn't cutting it when you are coaching up most of your players.

As to him and Doug, from everything I heard, they were very good friends so this had to be hard on Doug.
Ok thx Bnoro lets hope we turn the corner next year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom