Conundrum..... | Syracusefan.com

Conundrum.....

newmexicuse

All Conference
Well, being out west here I did not get to see the game.

Just when it seemed that all hope was gone & our season was totally lost, the team comes up with a valiant effort and an unexpected W.

I admit, I did not even make a post in the "prediction" thread because I couldn't bring myself to post a prediction that our guys would lose, but that was definitely the thought.

Jimmy has taken a lot of heat this season, so let's just start with him and the staff. They made adjustments in the starting lineup, and the rotation (or lack thereof), and got a fire lit under the players who were on the court. Great job at least for one game, let's hope they now will be synchronized with the players.

The five who played almost all of the minutes were four of the starters plus Roberson. I just can't see this team being successful wo Roberson in the lineup. He brings rebounding prowess, experience, energy, D, and athleticism - at least when he is properly motivated. I think he needs at least 30 MPG. As a senior who brings to the table what he does, he deserves to start. Of course, that would then create a dilemma because presumably it would be just promoted starter TT who would go to the bench. TT is a special O player, and he may well be our best player next season. Last thing we would want to do is to set back his confidence in any way. Maybe, the refs would let us roll six guys out there for at least the jump ball. In all seriousness, since in a certain sense it doesn't matter who starts, why not just rotate the five starters from amongst the deserving six & keep everybody's ego intact.

The bench was very short for the game. It was the correct thing for Jimmy to do since he finally found a group that played D and played with energy. However, going forward the rotation will have to be expanded as there will inevitably be foul trouble, off games, minor injures, etc. Seems the next two up should be TT and DC. Hopefully the staff can find the right balance of minutes and roles for these two.

Well, that leaves the only extra scholarship guard on the roster ......Frank Howard. He certainly hasn't played well so far this season. Personally, I was never as high on his skillset as some others on this forum have been, but there is no question the team will need a third guard for some minutes. Some of the threads have painted him a real poison on the team. From out here in Albuquerque, I have no direct way to know about that, but I tend to doubt that dozens of posters are all wrong. Simply put, no matter how badly we need a third guard, he cannot be put on the court unless there is an attitude adjustment & that he can accept a role as a non-starter. He needs to reach down deep inside of himself and start to bust gut and put the team first and earn back some of his minutes. I will be rooting for him to get that done.

Anyways, Pitt will be a war, it will be a game for warriors, and our two biggest warriors are Robey & DC. Get them both some minutes and make anybody from Pitt who goes into the paint pay a price. A win would be extremely significant, but more important is for the team to play with pride, effort, and defensive instensity.

We were only called for 4 team fouls in the 2nd half.

As long as the boys were gelling, JB left them in.

I don't think a single person on this forum will disagree with you about the importance of Roberson. (If there is, speak up!) (If you dare.)

Whether Coach starts Taurean and then yanks him, or starts Roberson, I think Taurean will be okay. He saw what happened when Robey was on the floor! He was up jumping and yelling at virtually every defensive and offensive play! I would be surprised to hear that he has an ego problem with this. He is our future. He will play. But Robey clearly needs to have more minutes than TT right now.

DC is another matter. I am not sure he can really play because of his knees. It's heartbreaking.

Lydon doesn't need to play 40. Give TT 7 mins for Robey and 4 mins for lydon. 10 a game is enough. He's a gifted player but he can't guard anyone.

Gillon playing very well at PG.

White shooting really well.

Lydon playing the 5 seems to be our best center.

Battle just needs more experience at this level.

Roberson just needs to rebound.

Thompson needs to stay out of foul trouble. He needs to play a little better on defense.

Howard and Coleman will get limited minutes.

I don't think a single person on this forum will disagree with you about the importance of Roberson. (If there is, speak up!) (If you dare.)

Whether Coach starts Taurean and then yanks him, or starts Roberson, I think Taurean will be okay. He saw what happened when Robey was on the floor! He was up jumping and yelling at virtually every defensive and offensive play! I would be surprised to hear that he has an ego problem with this. He is our future. He will play. But Robey clearly needs to have more minutes than TT right now.

DC is another matter. I am not sure he can really play because of his knees. It's heartbreaking.

Taurean would be fine, but I don't think his mom will be fine if he plays fewer minutes. The best thing that could have happened was we won last night with TT playing fewer minutes and our defense was the best it's been.

Taurean would be fine, but I don't think his mom will be fine if he plays fewer minutes. The best thing that could have happened was we won last night with TT playing fewer minutes and our defense was the best it's been.

I heard JB has trouble sleeping some nights because he's so worried about what Taurean's mom is thinking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom