Cooking shows & crime novels: How Jim Boeheim spent his suspension (SI) | Syracusefan.com

Cooking shows & crime novels: How Jim Boeheim spent his suspension (SI)

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
This article originally appeared in the Jan. 11, 2016, issue of Sports Illustrated. Subscribe to the magazine here.

The king has been gone, but all the while his throne has remained tantalizingly available.

“I’m going in,” said Syracuse assistant coach Gerry McNamara one afternoon not long ago. McNamara was standing in the tiny, windowless and, needless to say, nonbathroomed office of Kip Wellman, the Orange’s director of basketball operations. “I gotta try it.”

“I wouldn’t do it,” said Wellman, feigning terror. “He’ll find out. Somehow. Some way.”

“It’s a chance I gotta take,” said McNamara, nodding and setting his jaw as if he were about to take a hill.

He didn’t, of course. McNamara turned right instead of left and headed out of the basketball office and down the hall to the public men’s room. That is Standard Bathroom Procedure for all of Syracuse’s basketball personnel save one.

And now that one is coming back.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/01/05/jim-boeheim-syracuse-orange-suspension-return

wow, great read.

I can't believe a highlight for Jim would not have been watching his two boys lead their high school basketball team. The boys have been playing really well.

I know cto touched on this with an earlier post, but the restrictions are just insane.

I get that they wanted to keep JB from the basketball program, but it's as though they used an ax when a scalpel should have been used.

The list of restrictions and what was needed to get permission for is just absurd.

The system is broken.

• What if you accidentally ran into Boeheim at, say, the fresh fruit section at Wegmans? “Well, first, you’d never see Jim in the fresh fruit section,” said Syracuse sports information director Pete Moore, “but you’d have to report it.” Indeed, anyone encountering Boeheim in an away-from-campus setting was allowed to exchange pleasantries but had to move on quickly and register the encounter with the Syracuse compliance office. (According to Boeheim, there were no surprise encounters.)

19433393-mmmain.jpg

bay-jdjpg-a7af3b4ec0667456.jpg

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...rs_jim_boeheim_attend_j-d_game_cant_talk.html

I know cto touched on this with an earlier post, but the restrictions are just insane.

I get that they wanted to keep JB from the basketball program, but it's as though they used an ax when a scalpel should have been used.

The list of restrictions and what was needed to get permission for is just absurd.

The system is broken.

It does seem absurd on the surface. However, if they weren't overly specific someone might try and exploit a 'loophole'. So in trying to eliminate any gray areas they really do come off as the s we all know them to be.

• What if you accidentally ran into Boeheim at, say, the fresh fruit section at Wegmans? “Well, first, you’d never see Jim in the fresh fruit section,” said Syracuse sports information director Pete Moore, “but you’d have to report it.” Indeed, anyone encountering Boeheim in an away-from-campus setting was allowed to exchange pleasantries but had to move on quickly and register the encounter with the Syracuse compliance office. (According to Boeheim, there were no surprise encounters.)

19433393-mmmain.jpg

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...rs_jim_boeheim_attend_j-d_game_cant_talk.html

Oh my god. Who cares. It's over with he's back.

19433393-mmmain.jpg

Good one. Hope this was documented. Although how much of a surprise is it that the JD walk on's and some of their teammates went across town to watch a game at their alma mater.

Oh my god. Who cares. It's over with he's back.

I said nothing about the insane rules that were in place. But why wouldnt that publicized encounter be included? That article leaves a really weird taste for me.

I said nothing about the insane rules that were in place. But why wouldnt that publicized encounter be included? That article leaves a really weird taste for me.

Who cares again. He's back. Let's move on.

This interested me:

"Syracuse’s former director of basketball operations had completed course work for a player, players who had failed drug tests were not held out of practice sessions per school policy, and a booster had paid a total of about $8,000 to five Syracuse athletes (two of whom were basketball players) for what was supposed to be volunteer work at a YMCA."

We talkin' practice? I assumed these guys had played in the wins that were vacated. SU was punished just for allowing them to practice?

That's like seeing just the end of The Shawshank Redemption, when Red walks up to Andy at the beach, and saying "He's out, it's over with, who cares what happened before?"

To answer your question - apparently, quite a few people care. I enjoyed the article.

Had Gerry used the bathroom we all know he would have ended up self reporting to Coach. Its just what we do at the Cuse.

Just as a point of curiosity, when Mac pees, does he do so from the three point area, or does he try to get close and drive to the, ah, "basket?"

Just as a point of curiosity, when Mac pees, does he do so from the three point area, or does he try to get close and drive to the, ah, "basket?"

Depends how much 'pressure' he is feeling. Usually with lots of pressure you need to take the step back 3 and make sure you get good arc.

So, why would you click on this clearly-titled thread if that's how you feel about it? Just to make 'Move on' posts? Was it worth it?

It sounds like the difference between Hopkins and Boeheim was night and day! That must have been jarring. I imagine the team experiencing whiplash.

CuseHulk said:

I didn't think it'd get better, but then I kept reading

It sounds like the difference between Hopkins and Boeheim was night and day! That must have been jarring. I imagine the team experiencing whiplash.

One of the fun things to do at a game is to see a bad play or a bad call and then look over for JB's reaction. MH was no fun in that regard. I remember Howard driving into the paint and then turning and passing the ball backwards toward his own goal and right into the hands of an opposing player, who started an undefended fast break that produced a dunk. I immediately looked toward the SU bench where Hop had his back to the play and was calmly talking to one of the players on the bench.

Last edited:
Would love to know the player he wanted to bench. Got an idea...