cooney is 2 made 3 pters away from being our best 3 pt shooting guard | Syracusefan.com

cooney is 2 made 3 pters away from being our best 3 pt shooting guard

yet another poll in your face

• aka every saturday night for chip

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • homonyms

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Millhouse

Living Legend
why does syracuse have so many guards that can't shoot?

scoop and waiters were better than these guys in lots of ways but I never expected that I would be most nostalgic for their outside shooting touch.

scoop and waiters were better than these guys in lots of ways but I never expected that I would be most nostalgic for their outside shooting touch.

We don't recruit basketball players we recruit long athletes who can play the top of the zone. There seems to have been a direct correlation between putting our recruiting focus on long athletes for the zone and the down fall of our three point shooting.

Here is an interesting question... would today's JB still have recruited GMAC given how bad he was at the top of the zone?

We don't recruit basketball players we recruit long athletes who can play the top of the zone. There seems to have been a direct correlation between putting our recruiting focus on long athletes for the zone and the down fall of our three point shooting.

Here is an interesting question... would today's JB still have recruited GMAC given how bad he was at the top of the zone?
I think last night they discussed how Waiters wasn't a typical Syracuse prototype. He really didn't fit the mold either, but he fit the mold of "basketball player". Just like GMAC.

I think last night they discussed how Waiters wasn't a typical Syracuse prototype. He really didn't fit the mold either, but he fit the mold of "basketball player". Just like GMAC.

I actually think Waiters fits the SU mold perfectly... his long arms and athleticism made him a beast at the top of the zone when he wanted to play D. On top of that he is a great athlete with so so shooting skills. Other than being about an inch or two short he totally fits the mold.

GMAC is a basketball player first and foremost and a zone player second. We basically have stopped recruiting players who look like him. Before everyone jumps in about Cooney... he is 6'4" (taller than Dion), a great athlete and a beast on D. He is not a GMAC clone... to me Dion and Triche are much better comps.

Being the best shooting guard on this team is like having the honor of being the best looking person in Millhouse's family.

The somewhat sad thing about all of it is that Triche, Carter Williams and Cooney all have relatively "good" looking strokes.

It's discouraging that none of them have showed much improvement.

With the way our big men haven't improved, and the shooting of our guards hasn't either, I think player development might be an area this staff is lacking more than anything else. And it is showing.

yeah, well, volume beats percentages . . . just ask the shooting expert on the coaching staff ;)

allow me to reiterate if you will. as i've said before if cooney can't shoot 40% deep. we don't need him.

Worst shooting gaurds in the history of Syracuse. Look it up. Someone go grab Sweet D and see if we can get him to take cooneys spot on the team. While your at it how about seeing if Jimmy Lee is still around or Marty. Those guys were pure shooters.

I actually think Waiters fits the SU mold perfectly... his long arms and athleticism made him a beast at the top of the zone when he wanted to play D. On top of that he is a great athlete with so so shooting skills. Other than being about an inch or two short he totally fits the mold.

GMAC is a basketball player first and foremost and a zone player second. We basically have stopped recruiting players who look like him. Before everyone jumps in about Cooney... he is 6'4" (taller than Dion), a great athlete and a beast on D. He is not a GMAC clone... to me Dion and Triche are much better comps.
Actually come to think of it we never really recruited players that look like GMac before him. You almost have to go back to Marty Headd. GMac was a really non-typical SU player.

Worst shooting gaurds in the history of Syracuse. Look it up. Someone go grab Sweet D and see if we can get him to take cooneys spot on the team. While your at it how about seeing if Jimmy Lee is still around or Marty. Those guys were pure shooters.
So we have lousy shooting guards and no inside game whatsoever...and we are 22-6.

MCW won the skills competition at the McDonalds game. What's your next thesis?