"Core Four" Advanced Metrics & Player Grades | Syracusefan.com

"Core Four" Advanced Metrics & Player Grades

5OutFred

Scout Team

Interesting view on analytical-backed player grades for the high-usage guys: Judah, JJ, Maliq and Bell.

"A's"of note:

-Judah's: steals, assists, points above replacement
-JJ's: minutes (only A grade)
-Chris Bell's: 3Pt% (only A grade)
-Maliq's: advanced offensive rating, advanced defensive rating, eFG%, steals, offensive rebounds, blocks, points above replacement

"F's" of note:

-All of Judah's shooting metrics, along with turnovers
-JJ's: advanced offensive and defensive ratings, nearly all shooting metrics
-Chris Bell's: advanced offensive and defensive metrics, along with rebounding, assists, steals
-Maliq's: offensive usage

Not necessarily new info on any, and many of these subjects have been discussed ad nauseam here, but the most jarring to me were Maliq's usage as an F, despite leading the team in numerous categories. Not to mention Chris Bell and JJ grading lowest in quite a few categories.

Terrrrrrible. The only bright spot is that Maliq would be a star at PF. He gone. At 6'8" he needs to work on transitioning to SF. There is no market for 6'8" centers. Our strength is our F rated backcourt.

Last edited:

Interesting view on analytical-backed player grades for the high-usage guys: Judah, JJ, Maliq and Bell.

"A's"of note:

-Maliq's: advanced offensive rating, advanced defensive rating, eFG%, steals, offensive rebounds, blocks, points above replacement

"F's" of note:

-Chris Bell's: advanced offensive and defensive metrics, along with rebounding, assists, steals

Not necessarily new info on any, and many of these subjects have been discussed ad nauseam here, but the most jarring to me were Maliq's usage as an F, despite leading the team in numerous categories. Not to mention Chris Bell and JJ grading lowest in quite a few categories.
Matches the eye test

Terrrrrrible. The only bright spot is that Maliq would be a star at PF. He gone. At 6'8" he needs to work on transitioning to SF. There is no market for 6'8" centers. Our strength is our F rated backcourt.
Nah. A guy like Harrison Barnes plays PF in the the NBA these days. He can be a 6'8 PF, but he needs to work on his 3

JJ getting an A for minutes is definitely... something.

"A's"of note:

"F's" of note:

Brown's metrics look great because of his usage

He's only given the ball in situations where he should have great metrics

Selection bias

He's my favorite player on this team but it's an unavoidable but understood problem with basketball efficiency ratings.

Similar to Etan Thomas in that way

Brown's metrics look great because of his usage

He's only given the ball in situations where he should have great metrics

Selection bias

He's my favorite player on this team but it's an unavoidable but understood problem with basketball efficiency ratings.

Similar to Etan Thomas in that way
100%.

Maliq can do more and will do more. Eventually.

I can see him making 3’s consistently and becoming a great straight line driver.
I might...might...be able to sign off on the shooting part but driving? Has he dribbled the ball a hundred times this year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom