Cornell Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Cornell Thoughts

General20

Basketball Maven
There seems to be a little confusion about what happened in the Cornell game, so I thought I'd mention a few things that stood out to me that I haven't seen mentioned in any of the discussions yet.

Syracuse came out strong scoring 20 points in the first 9 minutes of the game (a pace to score over 80 points). In the second half Syracuse scored 46 points (a pace to score over 90 points). In the last 11 minutes of the first half Syracuse only scored 6 points.

So the real question is, what happened during those bad 11 first half minutes?

The answer is, Cornell switched to an unique 2-1-2 zone. The 2-1-2 is an antiquated defense that you never see anymore, but Cornell tweaked it in some interesting and effective ways. First, they did a good job disguising it and making it look like they were playing man to man as the ball was coming up the court. Second, they had the two guards at the top of the zone extend pressure out to about 30 feet and overplay the passing lanes, while the two forwards at the bottom of the zone hedged up to try to be in a position to move in to pick off any pass, whether it was a shorter one up to around the 3 point line or a deeper on into the paint. Third, they made the switch at the perfect time, i.e. when Boeheim had all 3 subs in the game, and SU was at its least organized.

The practical effect of this defense was to almost become a mini zone press that didn't start until about 30 feet from the basket. All zone presses put pressure on the ball and then defended the most obvious outlets. They are set up to trick the opposition into turning the ball over, but they also have some major weak points that can be carved up once you know how to attack it. This is all to say the 2-1-2 defense was only ever suppose to be used for a short amount of time.

A few things extended the amount of time they played it. One, Cornell executed flawlessly. Two, SU's guard rotation consists of two freshman and a sophomore and they didn't figure things out as fast as Boeheim would have liked. Three, the times SU did manage to get open shots they missed (two wide open Girard 3's and a Hughes 3 stand out in my memory).

Half time was a blessing. SU learned their lesson, and came out ready to attack. Cornell gave up on the 2-1-2 after a just couple of possessions and went back to man to man D ... the rest was history.

Bottom line, Syracuse was 40 points better than Cornell on the night, but only won by 20 because of a really genius trick defense executed to perfection that confused all three of SU's young guards for longer than it should have. This is not a defense Syracuse is likely to see again this year, so there really isn't much to take away moving forward.

Here are some player evaluations, not from this game, but for the year so far.

Girard & Boeheim - I'm going to lump these two together, because I like what I have seen from Girard and I like what I have seen from Boeheim, but I don't think they compliment each other particularly well and I worry about how they will play against really good defensive athletic teams. My worry, fyi, is not having a lack of ball handling or too many turnovers. Its the lack of ability to create space and mismatches that lead to help D and open teammates. Also, while Syracuse's defense has put up good numbers so far I think a lot of that has been fools gold. They are giving up too many good shots right now, and sooner or later they are going to be punished for doing so.

Goodine - He's got all the tools to be really good and fill most of the holes in Girard and Boeheim's games, especially on the defensive end of the court. Right now the game is moving a little too fast for him, but that is typical for freshman guards. Remember how bad Boeheim was at the beginning of last season? Yet when the ACC started and the competition got much tougher, Boeheim was putting up 50-40-90 from the field. He's hardly alone. Devendorf also famously figured things out around January of this Freshman year. We should know in January about how good Goodine can get this year. I think we need him to become a solid 20 mpg player to reach our potential.

Carey - You can go back and look at my post during SU's first game in Italy (not that anybody will) and see that I mentioned how Carey hadn't gotten any better in the offseason. If I saw that after watching a meaningless exhibition against inferior competition, then Boeheim definitely saw it. So why did he start the year with Carey at point guard? Because Carey is such a good athlete that if everything were to click for him mentally, he'd become a superstar overnight. Boeheim wants Carey to succeed and is trying everything to help Carey succeed, but Carey was making a mistake on almost every possession and just couldn't be left on the court. Usually when a player is passed in the rotation by someone younger they think about transferring. Carey has been passed in the rotation by two guys who are younger, but I really hope he sticks around just on the off chance that everything clicks for him, because it will be glorious to see.

Washington - I don't have much to say here. He seems like a great kid, and he's got a fun old school point guard style, but he's not going to crack our rotation.

Hughes - played more "point forward" against Cornell than at any other time. I'd say about a third of SU's plays right now have Hughes initiating the offense. It will be fascinating to see if that number grows or shrinks as the season goes on. Probably the more that number grows the higher Syracuse's potential becomes.

Dolezaj - I have come to think of him as Syracuse's point guard in the paint (while Girard is the point guard outside of the paint). Dolezaj has become incredibly important to the way Syracuse plays. The shooters we have spread the court. Dolezaj needs to take advantage by scoring, shooting and passing aggressively in the openings they create. He had a terrible shooting game against Virginia, and even though it felt like we lost to them in a blow out, I think if Dolezaj could have hit 3 or 4 of the open shots he missed Syracuse would have won the game. That is how important he's become.

Guerrier - He is the most important player on this team, full stop. This Syracuse team has a lot of skill, and a lot of shooters, but it is short on athletes. Guerrier is our best athlete. Because our shooters can't be left open we are in the unique position of having our best athlete get 1 on 1 situations (with little to no help D) all year long. He needs to win those battles and score tons of points. If he does, Syracuse is going to be tough to stop on offense. We also need him on the boards where we are weak. If you saw either of the last two games you saw how different (and unguardable) Syracuse is when you combine Guerrier scoring down low with Girard, Boheim, and Hughe's shooting. Guerrier is prone to making some rookie mistakes, but I think he looks pretty good offensively overall. His problem is on the defensive side of the ball where he makes a lot of mistakes and drifts into no man's land way too often. That said, I'm fairly confident that Boeheim will develop Guerrier quickly and by the end of the season he will become one of our leading scorers. I especially like the Dolezaj, Guerrier, Hughes, Boeheim, Girard line up, if Guerrier can play solid D and rebound great, because very few defenses will be able to stop that team from scoring.

Braswell - He became a fan favorite in the exhibition games, but he was the worst player on the court for either team against Colgate. 4 times rebounds came straight to Braswell and all four times a short Colgate back up pushed him out of the way and stole the rebound from him. There has been some talk about Braswell having leg problems and that might explain his play,so lets hope that can be fixed and it will make a big difference in his game, but from just what I've seen on the court, Braswell is a long way away from being able to contribute.

Sidibe - He can score a little bit and he's good on the boards, but overall I have been disappointed in Sidibe, and his defense is the reason why. Far too often he has let opposing players go right by him for layups. That needs to change. I can't figure out if the problem is mental or physical (i'd love to hear opinions on this) so I don't know if it can be fixed, but Syracuse needs it to be fixed.

Edwards - They are clearly grooming him to become the emergency 8th man off the bench. He's got some clear talent, but freshman center are almost never good, and I don't expect Edwards to be the exception. I already can't wait for next year to start so I can see how much he progresses between now and then.

Ajak - Got his redshirt. This is a big deal because you don't want a stiff to take up 5 scholarship years. They must think he's got some really good potential. I look forward to seeing it.

Quick note on our rotation. Expect us to go 7 deep. Lots of people seem to hate 7 man rotations, but I think they are great so long as all 7 players are of starting quality. In 2010 SU played a 7 man rotation (Jardine, Rautins, Triche, Johnson, Joseph, Jackson, Onuaku) all the way to a #1 seed. This team needs Goodine and Guerrier to get up to the necissary level. You already see Guerrier making steps in this direction so I think we are set there. As mentioned above I think we need Goodine to develop into a starting quality point guard to reach our potential. He's got all the tools necessary, it should be fun to watch him develop.

Other things I'll be watching closely moving foward:

#1) Guerrier, Guerrier, Guerrier - need him to score, rebound, and play D
#2) Sidibe's D
#3) How often is Hughes playing point forward?

Half time was a blessing. SU learned their lesson, and came out ready to attack. Cornell gave up on the 2-1-2 after a just couple of possessions and went back to man to man D ... the rest was history.
Cornell kept the lead to around 5 for much of the second half. never went above 10 til the 5 minute mark.
in fact had cornell shot better than 22 % deep it might have been a nail biter. Q's minutes resulted more from foul problems on sidibe and MD than game strategy imo. but he was the catalyst second half.

There seems to be a little confusion about what happened in the Cornell game, so I thought I'd mention a few things that stood out to me that I haven't seen mentioned in any of the discussions yet.

Syracuse came out strong scoring 20 points in the first 9 minutes of the game (a pace to score over 80 points). In the second half Syracuse scored 46 points (a pace to score over 90 points). In the last 11 minutes of the first half Syracuse only scored 6 points.

The answer is, Cornell switched to an unique 2-1-2 zone. The 2-1-2 is an antiquated defense that you never see anymore, but Cornell tweaked it in some interesting and effective ways. First, they did a good job disguising it and making it look like they were playing man to man as the ball was coming up the court. Second, they had the two guards at the top of the zone extend pressure out to about 30 feet and overplay the passing lanes, while the two forwards at the bottom of the zone hedged up to try to be in a position to move in to pick off any pass, whether it was a shorter one up to around the 3 point line or a deeper on into the paint. Third, they made the switch at the perfect time, i.e. when Boeheim had all 3 subs in the game, and SU was at its least organized.

The practical effect of this defense was to almost become a mini zone press that didn't start until about 30 feet from the basket. All zone presses put pressure on the ball and then defended the most obvious outlets. They are set up to trick the opposition into turning the ball over, but they also have some major weak points that can be carved up once you know how to attack it. This is all to say the 2-1-2 defense was only ever suppose to be used for a short amount of time.

A few things extended the amount of time they played it. One, Cornell executed flawlessly. Two, SU's guard rotation consists of two freshman and a sophomore and they didn't figure things out as fast as Boeheim would have liked. Three, the times SU did manage to get open shots they missed (two wide open Girard 3's and a Hughes 3 stand out in my memory).

Bottom line, Syracuse was 40 points better than Cornell on the night, but only won by 20 because of a really genius trick defense executed to perfection that confused all three of SU's young guards for longer than it should have. This is not a defense Syracuse is likely to see again this year, so there really isn't much to take away moving forward.

Girard & Boeheim - I'm going to lump these two together, because I like what I have seen from Girard and I like what I have seen from Boeheim, but I don't think they compliment each other particularly well and I worry about how they will play against really good defensive athletic teams. My worry, fyi, is not having a lack of ball handling or too many turnovers. Its the lack of ability to create space and mismatches that lead to help D and open teammates. Also, while Syracuse's defense has put up good numbers so far I think a lot of that has been fools gold. They are giving up too many good shots right now, and sooner or later they are going to be punished for doing so.

Goodine - He's got all the tools to be really good and fill most of the holes in Girard and Boeheim's games, especially on the defensive end of the court. Right now the game is moving a little too fast for him, but that is typical for freshman guards. Remember how bad Boeheim was at the beginning of last season? Yet when the ACC started and the competition got much tougher, Boeheim was putting up 50-40-90 from the field. He's hardly alone. Devendorf also famously figured things out around January of this Freshman year. We should know in January about how good Goodine can get this year. I think we need him to become a solid 20 mpg player to reach our potential.

Carey - You can go back and look at my post during SU's first game in Italy (not that anybody will) and see that I mentioned how Carey hadn't gotten any better in the offseason. If I saw that after watching a meaningless exhibition against inferior competition, then Boeheim definitely saw it. So why did he start the year with Carey at point guard? Because Carey is such a good athlete that if everything were to click for him mentally, he'd become a superstar overnight. Boeheim wants Carey to succeed and is trying everything to help Carey succeed, but Carey was making a mistake on almost every possession and just couldn't be left on the court. Usually when a player is passed in the rotation by someone younger they think about transferring. Carey has been passed in the rotation by two guys who are younger, but I really hope he sticks around just on the off chance that everything clicks for him, because it will be glorious to see.

Washington - I don't have much to say here. He seems like a great kid, and he's got a fun old school point guard style, but he's not going to crack our rotation.

Hughes - played more "point forward" against Cornell than at any other time. I'd say about a third of SU's plays right now have Hughes initiating the offense. It will be fascinating to see if that number grows or shrinks as the season goes on. Probably the more that number grows the higher Syracuse's potential becomes.

Dolezaj - I have come to think of him as Syracuse's point guard in the paint (while Girard is the point guard outside of the paint). Dolezaj has become incredibly important to the way Syracuse plays. The shooters we have spread the court. Dolezaj needs to take advantage by scoring, shooting and passing aggressively in the openings they create. He had a terrible shooting game against Virginia, and even though it felt like we lost to them in a blow out, I think if Dolezaj could have hit 3 or 4 of the open shots he missed Syracuse would have won the game. That is how important he's become.

Guerrier - He is the most important player on this team, full stop. This Syracuse team has a lot of skill, and a lot of shooters, but it is short on athletes. Guerrier is our best athlete. Because our shooters can't be left open we are in the unique position of having our best athlete get 1 on 1 situations (with little to no help D) all year long. He needs to win those battles and score tons of points. If he does, Syracuse is going to be tough to stop on offense. We also need him on the boards where we are weak. If you saw either of the last two games you saw how different (and unguardable) Syracuse is when you combine Guerrier scoring down low with Girard, Boheim, and Hughe's shooting. Guerrier is prone to making some rookie mistakes, but I think he looks pretty good offensively overall. His problem is on the defensive side of the ball where he makes a lot of mistakes and drifts into no man's land way too often. That said, I'm fairly confident that Boeheim will develop Guerrier quickly and by the end of the season he will become one of our leading scorers. I especially like the Dolezaj, Guerrier, Hughes, Boeheim, Girard line up, if Guerrier can play solid D and rebound great, because very few defenses will be able to stop that team from scoring.

Braswell - He became a fan favorite in the exhibition games, but he was the worst player on the court for either team against Colgate. 4 times rebounds came straight to Braswell and all four times a short Colgate back up pushed him out of the way and stole the rebound from him. There has been some talk about Braswell having leg problems and that might explain his play,so lets hope that can be fixed and it will make a big difference in his game, but from just what I've seen on the court, Braswell is a long way away from being able to contribute.

Sidibe - He can score a little bit and he's good on the boards, but overall I have been disappointed in Sidibe, and his defense is the reason why. Far too often he has let opposing players go right by him for layups. That needs to change. I can't figure out if the problem is mental or physical (i'd love to hear opinions on this) so I don't know if it can be fixed, but Syracuse needs it to be fixed.

Edwards - They are clearly grooming him to become the emergency 8th man off the bench. He's got some clear talent, but freshman center are almost never good, and I don't expect Edwards to be the exception. I already can't wait for next year to start so I can see how much he progresses between now and then.

Ajak - Got his redshirt. This is a big deal because you don't want a stiff to take up 5 scholarship years. They must think he's got some really good potential. I look forward to seeing it.

Quick note on our rotation. Expect us to go 7 deep. Lots of people seem to hate 7 man rotations, but I think they are great so long as all 7 players are of starting quality. In 2010 SU played a 7 man rotation (Jardine, Rautins, Triche, Johnson, Joseph, Jackson, Onuaku) all the way to a #1 seed. This team needs Goodine and Guerrier to get up to the necissary level. You already see Guerrier making steps in this direction so I think we are set there. As mentioned above I think we need Goodine to develop into a starting quality point guard to reach our potential. He's got all the tools necessary, it should be fun to watch him develop.

#2) Sidibe's D
So, the question becomes, if Guerrier improves to the point where has has to be on the floor, how does that happen?

More MD and less Sidibe at the 5?
Can Hughes slide to one of the Guard spots?
Something else?

So, the question becomes, if Guerrier improves to the point where has has to be on the floor, how does that happen?

Something else?

You've got 120 minutes to give out. That's 30 minutes for each of Hughes, Guerrier, Dolezaj, and Sidibe ... obviously it won't be distributed evenly like that. Hughes will get more and Sidibe will get less, but there are plenty of minutes to go around.

in that short stretch when cornell got back into it the guards all did the same thing.. they attacked down the sides got slightly funneled into some traffic , picked the ball up and then made lazy passes to the top where the D was over playing it.. if they trusted themselves, they reverse dribble back out of the trap and the TO never happens.. the first instinct has to stop being at the first sign of trouble pick the ball up.. value the dribble.

i always hear a lot of "marek at the 5" posts. and while i respect their opinions to me it just doesn't jive.
the kid is clearly not a center and badly overmatched defensively in terms of size, weight, and post skills.
i know it's the easy band aid approach for our poor inside recruiting efforts but it's a recipe for NIT.
edit (unless we start hitting 65% from downtown every night)

Something else?

Less Sidibe, for certain.

i always hear a lot of "marek at the 5" posts. and while i respect their opinions to me it just doesn't jive.
the kid is clearly not a center and badly overmatched defensively in terms of size, weight, and post skills.
i know it's the easy band aid approach for our poor inside recruiting efforts but it's a recipe for NIT.
edit (unless we start hitting 65% from downtown every night)

Guerrier at the 4 and Marek the nominal 5 does wonders for floor spacing, though. The way we're playing offense right now, we're not interested in traditional post-ups, and I'd say that's very wise based on our personnel.

Pace and space is the name of the game with this roster, and for that you don't want a traditional center. We will almost certainly have trouble in certain spots against teams with size, but the early returns are good. I'm just thrilled that the offense appears to be making major strides.

#2) Sidibe's D

Excellent write-up -- good even-handed analysis. I'd say my opinions differ slightly on some of the players but overall I'm in agreement with about 90% of this. Good read.

As far as the wrapup of the Cornell game -- I agree entirely on the switch and also execution of the game plan on Cornell's part. Really did a nice job of confusing us. One of the issues I thought was that they did an excellent job of playing the drive -- they would play the drive until right around the elbow/free-throw line, then the help defender would back off and play the passing lane. That's probably the basic design of the 2-1-2, but either way they did it well understanding, IMO, that our guys aren't likely to drive all the way to the bucket. That gave Girard and Buddy fits at times and Goodine didn't handle it well either. That's going to happen at times.

Thought, along with your observations, that we did a better job in the second half of taking advantage of Marek and Sidibe inside. Guerrier had a nice dish to Marek, we found sidibe a few times. Really hope we continue to try get some post touches and look to these guys to finish. With as many shooters as we have and the way we share the ball, this will lead to good things even if we aren't finishing a ton down there.

The other thing I love with Girard is how he pushes the ball. It's infectious -- Buddy had a great pass up the court at one point, Marek has been pushing the tempo when he's getting the ball and Bourama is looking to outlet quickly. We are going to be dangerous in secondary break situations. We saw that in one situation where we pushed the ball up quickly after a girard rebound (an underrated skill of his -- he was on the opposite elbow, anticipated where the ball would come down and quickly grabbed it) and pushed it up to Buddy (I think) who hit the trailing Hughes for a wide open look from three. All 10 guys were over halfcourt so not really a fastbreak, but Cornell didn't have time to set up defensively and it was a big thing. Even when we had a turnover when Girard tried to push it up to Hughes who stepped on the sideline - I'll take it. Just love the tempo and activity when that kid is on the floor.

As for the player evals --

Girard/Buddy -- I actually don't mind Girard defensively b/c I think his activity and rebounding are I just think the reality offensively is that we're going to need to move the ball and move without the ball to generate consistent offense. These guys do that. Now, to be fair in this eval, we aren't going to be as good defensively overall with these two. That much is true. But offensively I think teams have to worry about these dudes shooting enough that Marek/Hughes/Sidibe/G should have opportunities inside. Again, not sure we have the ceiling of a 24-26 win team overall. But think that could be good enough to get to 21 perhaps, which is solid b/c we also should have a nice foundation to build on.

Sidibe's defense has been weak but he's pretty active on both ends. Feel like more minutes and more reps should help in that regard and if he can avoid silly fouls (you too, Marek) we should be OK -- not great -- but OK down there.

I have generally liked Braswell's play on the court but agree on his effort vs. Colgate. I'm inclined to believe that perhaps an injury is the reason why. We shall see I guess, but still hopeful that a healthy Braswell could at least deliver decent minutes in a pinch.

Need Marek to continue asserting himself -- needs to have more than four shots against a cornell. We have seen him do it, just need him to continue progressing.

Overall, it's important to note that's a game we won by 8 points a year ago and we only managed 63 points. Had 72 in this one and I think we had the potential for more. We're going to need to outscore teams but I can understand people's concern about our ability to generate offense against more talented teams. It's a wait and see kind of situation but I actually think we will get over .500 in the acc. Very interested to see how we do after the Bucknell game.

I think Girard should shoot it more. I feel like he should do the FULL GIRARD, which is kind of like the FULL MONTY, guaranteed to make the Dome go wild!

I like a wild Dome.
1574475112980.png

To this day, I can't hear Hot Stuff without thinking of this movie.

#2) Sidibe's D
Great post. And I agree on your Guerrier, Goodine and Carey observations.

Can you elaborate, though, on this point about Girard and Boeheim? I’m not clear on what you’re saying here.
“It’s the lack of ability to create space and mismatches that lead to help D and open teammates.”

#2) Sidibe's D
excellent as per usual

Great post. And I agree on your Guerrier, Goodine and Carey observations.

Can you elaborate, though, on this point about Girard and Boeheim? I’m not clear on what you’re saying here.
“It’s the lack of ability to create space and mismatches that lead to help D and open teammates.”

Sure, simply enough, you can have all the X's and O's you want but basketball always comes down to one of your guys beating his defender. Without that, offense will be hard to come by. My worry is we are missing that guy who can consistently beat his defender.

Sure, simply enough, you can have all the X's and O's you want but basketball always comes down to one of your guys beating his defender. Without that, offense will be hard to come by. My worry is we are missing that guy who can consistently beat his defender.
A guy who could break someone down would make this team really, really interesting. Potentially we’d still have troubles on defense and on the glass but we’d be pretty tough to deal with for 40 mins night in and night out.

I agree we aren’t quite there with this team but I will say the tempo and off-ball movement as well as the ball movement in general is light years better than last year.

The question is does that simply make us more entertaining (possible) or appreciably better (maybe, but hard to say)?

Wasn't Battle that guy? That didn't really work. I think with this team, a pass first PG would hurt, as there would only ever be 2 shooters on the floor, instead of the 3 we run with now. I think there will be less help defending off of those 3, thereby clearing space of guys like MD or QG. Just an opinion.

Wasn't Battle that guy? That didn't really work. I think with this team, a pass first PG would hurt, as there would only ever be 2 shooters on the floor, instead of the 3 we run with now. I think there will be less help defending off of those 3, thereby clearing space of guys like MD or QG. Just an opinion.

Yeah, and - Eli seems to have enough of that "go-to guy" ability, while also using the threat of it to make plays for his teammates - something Battle never really did.

Which makes it a LOT harder for opponents to stop, since they'll likely have to double Eli at some point, which leaves somebody else open. He's shown a knack for finding that guy so far this year.
Rather than forcing a TOUGH shot, typically a long 2 (aka ' The Battle').

Goodine - He's got all the tools to be really good and fill most of the holes in Girard and Boeheim's games, especially on the defensive end of the court. Right now the game is moving a little too fast for him, but that is typical for freshman guards. ...

Agree, and this is why he should learn the easier of the two guard positions while he's also adjusting to the speed of the college game.

Girard & Boeheim - I'm going to lump these two together, because I like what I have seen from Girard and I like what I have seen from Boeheim, but I don't think they compliment each other particularly well and I worry about how they will play against really good defensive athletic teams. My worry, fyi, is not having a lack of ball handling or too many turnovers. Its the lack of ability to create space and mismatches that lead to help D and open teammates.

Also, while Syracuse's defense has put up good numbers so far I think a lot of that has been fools gold. They are giving up too many good shots right now, and sooner or later they are going to be punished for doing so.

#2) Sidibe's D

I always enjoy going back and reading your posts to see how what you wrote compares to what materializes.

Pretty much Dead-on.
Kudos to you for seeing all this after one game against a pretty weak opponent and then being able to extrapolate what that meant against P5 teams...

D is a sieve. Yesterday we took 32 3 pointers and shot 44% from 3 and still lost by double digits. That is mind-boggling. We do that with the offensively-challenged teams of the last few years and we probably win by 20...

Washington in rotation because Goodine not developing as hoped.

Guerrier not developing as hoped.

Yesterday, Hoyas went on their run when D picked up his third and had to go to the bench...and that was the difference in the game...

Last edited:
I always enjoy going back and reading your posts to see how what you wrote compares to what materializes.

Pretty much Dead-on.
Kudos to you for seeing all this after one game against a pretty weak opponent and then being able to extrapolate what that meant against P5 teams...

D is a sieve. Yesterday we took 32 3 pointers and shot 44% from 3 and still lost by double digits. That is mind-boggling. We do that with the offensively-challenged teams of the last few years and we probably win by 20...

Washington in rotation because Goodine not developing as hoped.

Guerrier not developing as hoped.

Yesterday, Hoyas went on their run when D picked up his third and had to go to the bench...and that was the difference in the game...
Replying to my own post to substantiate a point...

Last year's offensively-challenged team had 5 games where they shot better than 40% from 3:

@ OSU 11-24 from 3 - won 72-62
@ ND 12-29 from 3 - won 72-62
@ Duke 11-25 from 3 - won 95-91
@ Pitt 12-26 from 3 - won 74-63
@ Miami 14-30 from 3 - won 74-53

5-0, all on the road. average margin of victory 11 points...

This year's team goes 14-32 from 3 vs G'twon and loses by 10. Last year's team goes 14=30 vs Miami and wins by 21.

The problem this year is on the defensive side of the ball. The O is not the issue.

We had 3 teams put up more than 79 points on us last year: UConn, Oregon and Duke.

If this year's team could play last year's D, we are easily a tourney team.

if this year's team could play the D of 17-18, watch out.

Alas, they don't...