Could CUSA/MWC merger lead to more expansion? | Syracusefan.com

Could CUSA/MWC merger lead to more expansion?

K

kingottoiii

Right now there are 22 schools in that FB merger. By NCAA rule the only way that the could have a championship game is if they split into two 11 team divisions playing a round robin 10 conf game schedule. While that is possible, do those schools really want to take up 10 of 12 games in conference? That would be huge as it limits the possible OOC games. And if the BCS leagues are all going to 9 or even 10 conf games (as ACC hinted at), how does ND even schedule? Would that force their hand?

OR

Would the new CUSA/MWC apply for a rule change that allows for a conference tournament? In this scenario CUSA would remain as is, having a champ game and then playing the winner of the MWC. However if the NCAA were to allow this, wouldn't it open the doors for the BC leagues to do the same? Would that lead to 18 team BCS conferences?

This might all never come into play if schools leave for the BE. However if these 22 schools commit to each other do they not steal the BE's bid? If the CUSA/MWC all agree to stick together, who is left for the BE to add? IMO at that point Navy says no. There is Temple or Nova but that gets the BE to only 7 teams. Then who? FIU? Toledo? Would that really keep the BCS bid?

Also if the NCAA does allow for a CUSA/MWC conference tournament they could add 2 BE teams to have 4 divisions of 6. That IMO would be a nice smooth end to the BE. SEC expands to 14. B12 goes to 12. CUSA/MWC goes to 24. ND chooses either B1G or ACC, who then need one more team. If all of this were to happen the BE would have ZERO FB teams left and everyone would have a home. The BCS would include 90 schools with a chance at an auto bids.

WV to SEC
Louisville/Cincy to B12
ND/RU to B1G
UConn/USF to CUSA/MWC

Just because the MWC and CUSA are combining for a championshp game, there's no guarantee the winner gets a BCS bid.

The MAC has a championship, and they don't get a BCS slot.

If all the teams rumored to be going to the Big East do go, that will leave the Mountain West with eight and Conference USA with nine. All they would have to do is add one team to the Mountain West and then each league could play an eight game conference schedule and have the best team from each league play each other in a championship game.

This actually works out well for the Mountain West. They can get the benefits of a conference championship game without having to invite too many more weak teams. There simply aren't four teams worth adding to the MWC to get to 12. It will also prevent the conferences from trying to hurt each other. When TCU was still in the MWC, there was some talk of the MWC trying to take some C-USA schools to get to 12.

So to answer your question, no, I think just the opposite. This gives the MWC and C-USA the benefits of a championship game without having to go to 12 teams each.

Just because the MWC and CUSA are combining for a championshp game, there's no guarantee the winner gets a BCS bid.

The MAC has a championship, and they don't get a BCS slot.

Of course not. CUSA has a champ game now. :crazy: But if the Big East cannot get Boise or the academies, it is in the BCS conferences best interests to go with the merged CUSA/MWC. Congress is not getting involved if you leave out the Big East and take on 22 schools. Having the ACC, B1G, B12, P12, SEC teams plus 22 team CUSA/MWC means you have at least 85 teams in the BCS, maybe more. If you take the BE instead of the CUSA/MWC you are down to at most 75 teams, maybe less. If you are the major conferences which is better? You have at least 10 more teams involved by taking CUSA/MWC over the BE, maybe more.

If all the teams rumored to be going to the Big East do go, that will leave the Mountain West with eight and Conference USA with nine. All they would have to do is add one team to the Mountain West and then each league could play an eight game conference schedule and have the best team from each league play each other in a championship game.

This actually works out well for the Mountain West. They can get the benefits of a conference championship game without having to invite too many more weak teams. There simply aren't four teams worth adding to the MWC to get to 12. It will also prevent the conferences from trying to hurt each other. When TCU was still in the MWC, there was some talk of the MWC trying to take some C-USA schools to get to 12.

So to answer your question, no, I think just the opposite. This gives the MWC and C-USA the benefits of a championship game without having to go to 12 teams each.

I agree. If UCF, SMU, HOU, Boise, and AF all go to the BE then the MWC can just add Utah St and we have 2 divisions of 9. However IMO this is all dependent on Boise going to the BE. If they say no it all falls apart. AF would not go IMO. Would SMU, HOU, and UCF really be better off in the BE? Would they leave without a commitment fro WV, who is the key to the BCS bid? Would the BE BBall schools agree to add those three anyway?

Of course not. CUSA has a champ game now. :crazy: But if the Big East cannot get Boise or the academies, it is in the BCS conferences best interests to go with the merged CUSA/MWC. Congress is not getting involved if you leave out the Big East and take on 22 schools. Having the ACC, B1G, B12, P12, SEC teams plus 22 team CUSA/MWC means you have at least 85 teams in the BCS, maybe more. If you take the BE instead of the CUSA/MWC you are down to at most 75 teams, maybe less. If you are the major conferences which is better? You have at least 10 more teams involved by taking CUSA/MWC over the BE, maybe more.

Why split the money 85 ways when you can split it 75 ways?

UCF is in the BE, that much I believe is a definite no matter what the CUSA and MWC do. The Big East WILL get more teams as they have they prize in hand and it's theirs to lose. Because of this Big East WILL get more teams to follow and it will most likely poach from the CUSA/MWC for strategic purposes (and other reasons). It just depends on which teams they are going to get at this point. There are not 22 solid supporters of the CUSA/MWC project right now and as soon as 2 or 3 announce they are leaving it will put even more pressure on the others to get out while they can.

The way I see it is: UCF is a lock right now and is probably already invited/accepted. SMU/Houston are strong possibilities and nearly locked. Boise/AF/Navy are still on the fence and tops on the wish list but still have to decide. All other teams are possibilites on how the last mentioned 5 decide.

The Big East will win out over CUSA/MWC as they have "the bird in hand". It just all depends on who they end up with.

UCF is in the BE, that much I believe is a definite no matter what the CUSA and MWC do. The Big East WILL get more teams as they have they prize in hand and it's theirs to lose. Because of this Big East WILL get more teams to follow and it will most likely poach from the CUSA/MWC for strategic purposes (and other reasons). It just depends on which teams they are goig to get at this point. There are not 22 solid supporters of the CUSA/MWC project right now and as soon as 2 or 3 announce they are leaving it will put even more pressure on the others to get out while they can.

The way I see it is: UCF is a lock right now and is probably already invited/accepted. SMU/Houston are strong possibilities and nearly locked. Boise/AF/Navy are still on the fence and tops on the wish list but still have to decide. All other teams are possibilites on how the last mentioned 5 decide.

The Big East will win out over CUSA/MWC as they have "the bird in hand". I just all depends on who they end up with.

What makes that scenario a possible no go and why most of those teams are hesitant right now, is that if Missouri goes to the Sec and the B12 takes WVU, Bville and Cincy, is there even BE football. Not to mention UConn and Rutgers with the ACC or B10.

Sent from my DROIDX

What makes that scenario a possible no go and why most of those teams are hesitant right now, is that if Missouri goes to the Sec and the B12 takes WVU, Bville and Cincy, is there even BE football. Not to mention UConn and Rutgers with the ACC or B10.

I think there is, I don't think the Big East is ever going to "just give up". Too much money at stake. Unless the NCAA steps in and pulls the BCS from them immediately (can they even do that?) Marianatto will go down guns blazing. He's already shown no option is out of the possibility right now.

Besides, I don't think BVille goes to the B12 ... I heard they are "attached at the hip" with Phoenix High ;) Haha

Why split the money 85 ways when you can split it 75 ways?

The money isn't split evenly per team. They aren't splitting it 68 ways now. The BE doesn't get a 6th of the money. Those 22 teams would be splitting 1 share. Just like the 8 BE teams used to split 1 share. It has no effect on the money going to the Big 5 confs. :bang:

Last year

B1G /SEC $22.2 million
ACC/BE/B12/P12 $17.7 million
MWC $9.8 million
WAC $7.8 million
CUSA/MAC/Sun Belt $2.1 million

If the BE were to lose its auto bid and not put an at large team into the BCS, then they would be at the MAC/Sun Belt payout. The WAC after losing Boise St will be at the MAC/Sun Belt payout. That would leave an extra $13.5 million to be paid out to the 2 at large slots most likely to go to a 3rd SEC team and a 2nd P12 or B12 team. So under my scenario it would be

SEC $28 million
B1G/P12 $23 million
B12/ACC/CUSA-MWC $18 million
BE/WAC/MAC/Sun Belt $3 million

Those 22 teams would be splitting $18 million. The SEC and P12 would be making $5 million more. The rest of the BCS conferences would remain the same. So if the CUSA/MWC teams stay strong and WV goes to either the B12 or SEC, the BE has zero shot at having an auto bid and a slim to none shot at an at large bid. It is in the BCS conferences best interests for the SEC to take WV and the CUSA/MWC merger to be 22 teams. It makes more money for them and keeps Congress out.

I think there is, I don't think the Big East is ever going to "just give up". Too much money at stake. Unless the NCAA steps in and pulls the BCS from them immediately (can they even do that?) Marianatto will go down guns blazing. He's already shown no option is out of the possibility right now.

Besides, I don't think BVille goes to the B12 ... I heard they are "attached at the hip" with Phoenix High ;) Haha

HAHA. Somehow Lville became Bville.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom