Could Grant stay? | Syracusefan.com

Could Grant stay?

normaliswear

All Conference
Everyone, myself included, have been assuming Grant will leave after this year... next season at the absolute latest. But he does have one less pressure than a lot of guys in his position... he doesn't have to worry about money for his family. Dad Harvey had a nice NBA career, Uncle Horace had a great one, and brother Jerian will probably be a first round pick by then. Any chance Jerami has SO much fun going to final fours and playing front of 35k that he figures "I can only do this once in my life. The Pelicans will still be there in two more years."?

Grant is a better bet to stay than MCW or Dion, but still likely gone.

The only way I see him staying is if he has a disappointing season.

And I don't see that happening.

Let's see how he does in ACC play before we get into any of this. Yes, he's obviously talented enough to have scouts salivating but his skill level hasn't caught up enough to make him a surefire lottery pick. If he's not a guaranteed lottery pick, I think there's certainly a chance he stays.

EDIT: On the flip side, as mentioned his family isn't lacking for money. And his dad and uncle may hint to him that it's not such a bad thing to go in the mid to late first round, since you'll be picked up by a team that is either already a playoff team, or is on the verge of becoming one. So you won't be stuck playing for a crappy franchise, and you could find yourself contending for a ring early on.

Not likely but possible. Also depends on how much he enjoys the school aspect. Not needing the money could lead him to want to be BMOC instead of riding the pine in the NBA. What I am most sure of is he will not be ready to contribute in the NBA next year, but that usually has nothing to do with draftability.

Grant is a better bet to stay than MCW or Dion, but still likely gone.

The only way I see him staying is if he has a disappointing season.

And I don't see that happening.
I would agree that his skill set is not nearly as rare or unique as MCW's.

Grant could use another year to improve his physical maturity, and to refine his offensive game. If he comes back, he'd be the focal point of the offense playing alongside an experienced back court.

And as suggested, he probably isn't facing financial pressure to provide for his family. So I am more of the mindset that there is a pretty strong chance that he might return--especially if he wants to be the go-to guy, all-ACC, all-american, etc.

too soon to tell. right now he's in "no man's land" in the draft projections - most have him first round but not lottery. In that spot, it could go either way. See where he is in March. If he's lottery or near-lottery, he's gone.

I agree with waiting to see how the ACC season goes first. So far this season he's shown flashes of brilliance and flashes of not-so-brilliant. Consistent play is the key for Jerami...

The NBA hardly sucks. It's better now than it has been since the early 80s (when my viewing memory starts). People just like saying it sucks because it did during the ugly era of the Riley-led Knicks teams.

Teams in the NBA suck because: they draft like idiots (including in some cases drafting based on future), compounding draft mistakes (Minnesota and Cleveland come to mind), tanking and not getting a top pick, and making really bad trades (like Gay to Sacramento).

That being said, Grant's family might know enough to tell him to leave now to land with a winning team, to be able to work full-time on becoming a better player, or because the longer you stay in college the more your "flaws" are talked about (Hansbrough).

Everyone, myself included, have been assuming Grant will leave after this year... next season at the absolute latest. But he does have one less pressure than a lot of guys in his position... he doesn't have to worry about money for his family. Dad Harvey had a nice NBA career, Uncle Horace had a great one, and brother Jerian will probably be a first round pick by then. Any chance Jerami has SO much fun going to final fours and playing front of 35k that he figures "I can only do this once in my life. The Pelicans will still be there in two more years."?

He would get drafted but would he actually play? He needs to develop an NBA range outside shot. Until then, I would advise him to stay. It's a question of money. Would you rather make big bucks for one year or for ten?

Dion and MCW were both 100% gone but Grant I don't know. As of today I'd say he is 50/50

anomander said:
He has already been telling people he will leave

He hasn't even done anything exceptional yet...and he's telling everyone he's gone.

Gotta love it.

If there is ever a year you want to stay in school if your a borderline lottery pick it's this year. I was reading something on CBS sports this week saying any of the top 7 players this year would have gone #1 last year and there could be up to 12 players in the 2nd round this year that would have gone 1st round last year, in short the 2014 NBA draft in LOADED

He would get drafted but would he actually play? He needs to develop an NBA range outside shot. Until then, I would advise him to stay. It's a question of money. Would you rather make big bucks for one year or for ten?
So, about the shot thing... Both Dion and MCW supposedly needed better shooting. They seem to be doing ok now that they're pros.

Grant's a gamer, he lives for tight competitive games. He'll shine during the in conference schedule.

I think he'll be the one to topple Duke.

He needs one more year to develop a jump shot. I don't see where he fits in on an nba team and gets any substantial time without it.

So, about the shot thing... Both Dion and MCW supposedly needed better shooting. They seem to be doing ok now that they're pros.

Dion has a TS% of .499
MCW .495

They could both improve their shooting/shot selection.

He needs one more year to develop a jump shot. I don't see where he fits in on an nba team and gets any substantial time without it.

It's probably easier to work on a jumper in the NBA than in college though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom