Could it really be all about making shots? | Syracusefan.com

Could it really be all about making shots?

cuseincincy

All Conference
I know that is one of the HOFer's favorite sayings...but is it more accurate than ever this season? As Cornell made its 1st half comeback I kept thinking "this is not the type of team we want to get in a 3 point shooting contest with." It may be what we do best, but it reduces our advantages over teams like Cornell and Colgate. Shooters are shooters. If a shooter is open it doesn't matter if the guy supposed to be guarding him is the best defensive player in the country and the open shooter is a 5'10" D3 player, shooting doesn't care. Our advantage last night was inside and to JB's credit that's what he had the team do in the 2nd half. FYI- Cornell outscored SU by 27 points from 3 last night.
SU ranks 40th in 3 Pt FG in the country as of right now. Only 2 ACC schools are ahead of them, UNC 13 and VPI 15. Our 2 worst losses are at 14 (Gtown) and 17 (Colgate). 23 of the top 40 are from non power conferences (eg. AAC and A10 =power, MVC and Summit = non power imo). So 17th out of teams that matter. That gives me a ray of optimism because we know we won't have many advantages in the paint in the ACC. And even though we had an inside advantage we still got out rebounded.
We are going to need some big wins in ACC play to make up for our record. I think we're capable of pulling some upsets. Most of the ACC is fairly pedestrian this year so a winning conference record with a couple key wins mixed in might get us to the dance. And then it's anybody's game as we well know. We just need to make shots. LGO!

As you say, it IS what it's about this year. The games they looked unstoppable were the ones that they really went off from 3 for at least a half. Theid hope is that they have enough inside presence to help keep defensives honest. If Benny starts getting it together, that would help.

As you say, it IS what it's about this year. The games they looked unstoppable were the ones that they really went off from 3 for at least a half. Theid hope is that they have enough inside presence to help keep defensives honest. If Benny starts getting it together, that would help.
I would love to see Benny get some more minutes with 4 starters. It might relax him. When he comes in with Symir and Frank he almost has to try and do something. He's automatically the #3 option then.

We’ll be playing just 5 guys by the acc tourney. We’re not built for back to back to back games. I’m hoping we don’t need the tournament

We’ll be playing just 5 guys by the acc tourney. We’re not built for back to back to back games. I’m hoping we don’t need the tournament
At the very least, Torrence and Anselem/Sidibe will still be in the rotation.

In head to head competition our oppnents have scored more 3 pointers than us. Unfortunately, 3 pt shooting is our strength. I think we are in trouble.

In head to head competition our oppnents have scored more 3 pointers than us. Unfortunately, 3 pt shooting is our strength. I think we are in trouble.

Jesse & Jimmay say relax.

We’ve got a decent inside game.

Don’t hafta live or die by the 3 this year.

If we had a PG and wing we would be decent - but you cannot field a team where not one player can dribble the ball to the rim - let alone ur PG - and you cannot get zero transition points

ridiculous that the local media lets a" hall of fame" coach get away with
"WE NEED TO MAKE SHOTS" as the excuse for every loss. any idiot knows that.

e58288481c0477e36452a96dbc535865.png

if the coach is gonna crab regardless step into him and land a haymaker.
don't ever leave the ring without getting his full attention.

Last edited:
I know that is one of the HOFer's favorite sayings...but is it more accurate than ever this season? As Cornell made its 1st half comeback I kept thinking "this is not the type of team we want to get in a 3 point shooting contest with." It may be what we do best, but it reduces our advantages over teams like Cornell and Colgate. Shooters are shooters. If a shooter is open it doesn't matter if the guy supposed to be guarding him is the best defensive player in the country and the open shooter is a 5'10" D3 player, shooting doesn't care. Our advantage last night was inside and to JB's credit that's what he had the team do in the 2nd half. FYI- Cornell outscored SU by 27 points from 3 last night.
SU ranks 40th in 3 Pt FG in the country as of right now. Only 2 ACC schools are ahead of them, UNC 13 and VPI 15. Our 2 worst losses are at 14 (Gtown) and 17 (Colgate). 23 of the top 40 are from non power conferences (eg. AAC and A10 =power, MVC and Summit = non power imo). So 17th out of teams that matter. That gives me a ray of optimism because we know we won't have many advantages in the paint in the ACC. And even though we had an inside advantage we still got out rebounded.
We are going to need some big wins in ACC play to make up for our record. I think we're capable of pulling some upsets. Most of the ACC is fairly pedestrian this year so a winning conference record with a couple key wins mixed in might get us to the dance. And then it's anybody's game as we well know. We just need to make shots. LGO!

Yes!

1645887349255.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom