Could the NBA help with 1-n-done situation? | Syracusefan.com

Could the NBA help with 1-n-done situation?

SBU72

All Conference
This maybe off the wall. We know (or should know) the NCAA can't control 1-n-done as it is an NBA rule. (either not drafting kids until 1 year after their hs graduation or age 19) Could the NBA do something to strongly discourage kids from hiring agents until after their evaluation thus maintaining their college eligibility? Something like kids with agents won't be invited to the combine or get private workout until a certain date. Perhaps even offering a seminar on hiring agents at the combine. This could be done in the guise of protecting future players from unscrupulous agents. Why do this? To slow the flood of unready underclassmen from declaring. As pointed out, last year and maybe the year before there were more underclassman leaving than there were spots in the draft

A lot of the issue is because of the Not Caring About Athletes association:

1. Why not allow agents ?
2. Why not allow players to return to school if they did not like where they were drafted or if they went undrafted?
3. Why not allow players to earn outside income?

Sure they could. They're the only ones that really can. They could invest in a full minor league system, including coaches that run a real system and focus on developing talent and adopt a MLB like draft rule. That would provide some amount of stability, but colleges would still have to navigate recruiting, not knowing for sure if a kid would jump straight to the pros.

2. Why not allow players to return to school if they did not like where they were drafted or if they went undrafted?
On the surface all of that appears fine. I think the problem comes when they're trying to maintain some sort of level playing field. I realize they don't do a great job of that now, but the minute outside income becomes a factor, the schools with the richest boosters get all the free agents.

1. I believe it has something to do with the agents giving them money which makes them a professional.
2. They're not allowed to return if they sign with an agent. I believe they can return if they don't sign.
4. Because what's paid under the table now will be paid over the table and they'll get even more than is paid now. I know you folks are sensitive about the reffing jobs at the Y, but how about folks being paid several $K for a no-show job at a booster's car dealership (classic example)?

1. I believe it has something to do with the agents giving them money which makes them a professional.
2. They're not allowed to return if they sign with an agent. I believe they can return if they don't sign.
4. Because what's paid under the table now will be paid over the table and they'll get even more than is paid now. I know you folks are sensitive about the reffing jobs at the Y, but how about folks being paid several $K for a no-show job at a booster's car dealership (classic example)?
Holier than thou much.

Holier than thou much.
That's the NCAA's stated reasons. Not mine.

They define amateurism for this. Not me.

Personally, I want the NFL and NBA to get off the dime and start minor leagues so the NCAA can go completely to the D3/Ivy model which will end the mess IMO. If that's being "holier than thou", fine. I'll admit to being that way.

Personally, I want the NFL and NBA to get off the dime and start minor leagues so the NCAA can go completely to the D3/Ivy model which will end the mess IMO. If that's being "holier than thou", fine. I'll admit to being that way.
I think every program is guilty of some infraction and the NCAA would find it too if they investigated them for 10 years. But yes, your right about the necessary restructuring of collegiate sports.

Why would the NBA care if a player is ready?

The draft is about potential . It hasn’t been about a player being “ready” for the NBA in a long time.

They can solve it by letting players go right to professional basketball after HS. NBA, G league, overseas, where ever a kid wants to/is capable of going. Just like everybody else.

Why would the NBA care if a player is ready?

The draft is about potential . It hasn’t been about a player being “ready” for the NBA in a long time.

They don't care.

Source: They drafted a ton of them when there was no rule.

Amen to that. The greatest disservice to the players is the adjusting of rules to try to make amateur sports “just a little” more professional, in the name of fairness.

On the surface all of that appears fine. I think the problem comes when they're trying to maintain some sort of level playing field. I realize they don't do a great job of that now, but the minute outside income becomes a factor, the schools with the richest boosters get all the free agents.
If there is less parity, so be it. I think they should do what's right for the players. Personally, I'd like to see D-1 split into two divisions for FB and BB where the higher one allows ensdorsments, possibly stipends and has fewer regulations. The lower one could focus on a true student-athelete model.

If there is less parity, so be it. I think they should do what's right for the players. Personally, I'd like to see D-1 split into two divisions for FB and BB where the higher one allows ensdorsments, possibly stipends and has fewer regulations. The lower one could focus on a true student-athelete model.

Respectfully, I can’t even imagine why you would want this.

Respectfully, I can’t even imagine why you would want this.
I think the players deserve to be compensated. Whether schools should pay them, I go back and forth, but they should be able to do endorsements. I recommend splitting up D1 so schools that can't compete in this realm aren't forced to try. The NBA doesn't have parity but I think the league is still pretty strong.

Sure. Just don't call it varsity sports. Why is that people think scholarship athletes don't already get stipends? In addition to free tuition to a great institution of higher learning, free dining hall food, and a free place to live, they get stipends. This idea that they don't have "pizza and movie money" is false. Btw, we'd be in the lower tier. No way we could compete with the big booster schools.

Sure. Just don't call it varsity sports. Why is that people think scholarship athletes don't already get stipends? In addition to free tuition to a great institution of higher learning, free dining hall food, and a free place to live, they get stipends. This idea that they don't have "pizza and movie money" is false. Btw, we'd be in the lower tier. No way we could compete with the big booster schools.
I'm totally cool with calling it something other than varsity sports. As for the stipends, like I said, there's a case that they already get enough from the school. But if Nike and Under Armour are making money off them, why shouldn't they get a piece of that?
Whether or not we could compete with the bigger schools is debatable. I envisioned the Power Five conferences (plus maybe a few other schools) for football and the Power Five and some other strong conferences (e.g. American, Big East) for basketball. Yes, we could end up not making the cut. I'd hate to see SU relegated to a lower division but I think it's more important to do right by the athletes.

I'm totally cool with calling it something other than varsity sports. As for the stipends, like I said, there's a case that they already get enough from the school. But if Nike and Under Armour are making money off them, why shouldn't they get a piece of that?
Whether or not we could compete with the bigger schools is debatable. I envisioned the Power Five conferences (plus maybe a few other schools) for football and the Power Five and some other strong conferences (e.g. American, Big East) for basketball. Yes, we could end up not making the cut. I'd hate to see SU relegated to a lower division but I think it's more important to do right by the athletes.
It's not debateable whether we'd keep up. As soon as athletes are allowed to make money off of their likeness through endorsements, apparel sales, etc. the boosters of the schools that are worshiped like a religion will make sure their athletes are paid the most. Alabama boosters paid off Nick Saban's house when he was already the highest paid coach in college football. What would they do for players? What would Kentucky boosters do for basketball players once regulations intended to provide some semblance of balance are lifted. Once it is determined an individual athlete can profit off of the fame granted to them through their sport, you can't then tell them they're only allowed to make a certain amount. The schools with the richest/most devoted boosters will make sure theirs make the most money.

It's not debateable whether we'd keep up. As soon as athletes are allowed to make money off of their likeness through endorsements, apparel sales, etc. the boosters of the schools that are worshiped like a religion will make sure their athletes are paid the most. Alabama boosters paid off Nick Saban's house when he was already the highest paid coach in college football. What would they do for players? What would Kentucky boosters do for basketball players once regulations intended to provide some semblance of balance are lifted. Once it is determined an individual athlete can profit off of the fame granted to them through their sport, you can't then tell them they're only allowed to make a certain amount. The schools with the richest/most devoted boosters will make sure theirs make the most money.

If that's the case, than so be it. Like I said, I'd hate to see SU get relegated, but I'd rather athletes be treated fairly, and I believe that includes the right to make money off endorsements. And yes, Kentucky will most likely get more All Americans than we will, but if players want playing time, I think it will be more spread out than you think.

If that's the case, than so be it. Like I said, I'd hate to see SU get relegated, but I'd rather athletes be treated fairly, and I believe that includes the right to make money off endorsements. And yes, Kentucky will most likely get more All Americans than we will, but if players want playing time, I think it will be more spread out than you think.
I think that's where we differ most. I think they are treated fairly. The value of the education shouldn't simply boiled down to cost of tuition. I also think there's nothing wrong with someone paying their dues for a short time before getting their big payday. It happens across all industries and does many people a lot of good.

I'm all for paying their dues, but if athletic and video game companies are making money off them, shouldn't they be able to get a cut?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom