Could Tyus Battle pass Lawrence Moten as Syracuse basketball's all-time leading scorer? | Syracusefan.com

Could Tyus Battle pass Lawrence Moten as Syracuse basketball's all-time leading scorer?

"Battle is within range of Lawrence Moten's all-time scoring record, but he'd have to stay for his senior year."

No. Objectively false.

Battle could be within range of Lawrence Moten's all-time scoring record, if he stayed for his senior year.

Kid's got 1,259 points through 81 games (15.5 per). Say he maintains his scoring at his season rate -- better than his career rate -- of 18.0 (no easy feat, with Hughes, Carey, Brissett, and at least a few other scorers with him for parts of two years). Generously estimate that we'll play 37 games for the next two seasons and he'd score 504 more points this season (1,763 total) and 666 next year (2,429 total). With those good numbers, he'd top Moten by about 100 points.

It could happen, but I doubt Battle worked with a trainer all summer and worked to set up graduation next May if there were any chance he would return for a fourth year.

It's not easy to score that many points these days. You have to be good enough to do it, but not good enough that you've got a pro future. Devendorf could've gotten there. A C.J. Fair type could do it, but he can't waste a freshman year scoring only 5 points a game.

Could Brissett get there? I get the sense he's got NBA aspirations, but he's an undersized NBA 4 who can't dribble and doesn't finish well around the hoop against college players. If his career prospects come crashing down, he could potentially score 2,400 points in four years (he's on a 2,230 pace right now).

Clearly this record will belong to JGIII when he leaves. Even if he only averages a modest 40ppg over 4 years, he should break the record sometime towards the end of his sophomore year and leave campus with about 5,600 points give or take, depending on how many games he plays.

I do not want Battle to surpass Moten because it would mean that he had a lousy year and did not expect to get drafted.