Couple observations today | Syracusefan.com

Couple observations today

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Our guards could not contend with Miami's defensive pressure. The pressure disrupted our offensive flow causing a slew of turnovers, and empty possessions. I guess Gbinije was impacted the most 8 turnovers! We couldn't really get anything out of the forward or center position to help relieve the defensive pressure on the guards. I felt like they committed three guys to defend our two guards and we couldn't even find the open guy, never mind doing anything with it.

I also didn't think our effort on loose balls and such was great today. In the first half Miami wasn't really getting after it either, that changed in the second half.

It's going to be a long conference season.

Gbinije and Cooney were completely locked down. The pressure ate Gbinije up, and Cooney couldn't get open(we've seen this happen to him often in conference play the last few years).

Howard being out really hurt today. Joseph played some of the worst minutes I've ever seen today. We could've used a ballhandler who could handle their pressure and get Gbinije off the ball to try to free him up to score.

Based on losing on the road to two of the top ACC teams?

No based on now having seen Miami demonstrate another way to beat us today. You can dominate us inside on the boards...like Wiscy, St. John's and Pitt did, and I think several more ACC opponents are likely to do. You can also get in our guards shorts on defense, send three guys after them and leave one guy to account for our power forward and center like Miami did.

Maybe we should go back to recruiting true PGs instead of SF or 2G and playing them at PG. Just something maybe we should consider when recruiting.

No based on now having seen Miami demonstrate another way to beat us today. You can dominate us inside on the boards...like Wiscy, St. John's and Pitt did, and I think several more ACC opponents are likely to do. You can also get in our guards shorts on defense, send three guys after them and leave one guy to account for our forward and center like Miami did.
Miami is a very good team, coached by one of the better coaches in the country :noidea:

Madbiker said:
Maybe we should go back to recruiting true PGs instead of SF or 2G and playing them at PG. Just something maybe we should consider when recruiting.

We recruit for the zone.

Running an efficient offense is secondary.

Our guards could not contend with Miami's defensive pressure. The pressure disrupted our offensive flow causing a slew of turnovers, and empty possessions. I guess Gbinije was impacted the most 8 turnovers! We couldn't really get anything out of the forward or center position to help relieve the defensive pressure on the guards. I felt like they committed three guys to defend our two guards and we couldn't even find the open guy, never mind doing anything with it.

I also didn't think our effort on loose balls and such was great today. In the first half Miami wasn't really getting after it either, that changed in the second half.

The effort disappointed me as well. There were more than a few times where I saw our guys stand and watch as Miami went after the ball.

In crunch time, Lydon sat and leisurely went after a ball in the corner (maybe thought it would go out of bounds), but their Center beat him to it from behind him inexplicably. Luckily his attempt to save it ended up back with us, but my god. That's just effort.

G and Roberson both went out on a three, the rebound went to empty space, both recovered late. Roberson took about 18 seconds to get back into play though. Get after it.

Lots of stuff like that today. Blah.

Based on losing on the road to two of the top ACC teams?

Based on losing five of our last nine games. SU won't be facing any teams like Cornell, Colgate or Montana State in conference play.

I agree with your points except for your last sentence. Let's try to get some kind of perspective here. We played a very good game for the most part against a team that is VERY difficult for us to beat and most importantly, is a very tough out for ANY team on their home court (Pitt). Today, we put ourselves in position for an upset but failed in the last few minutes. However, Miami is a team that many college basketball analysts believe is a legit final four caliber team.

Let's play a few more before we start singing NIT. We should (and I believe will) beat Clempson and then IF we knock of UNC at home (which we certainly can do), all is okay moving forward. If both games result in a loss, THEN, I will be the first (actually not as I'm sure you will beat me to it) say that this will be a long season. I for one, and am still enjoying the ride because we have a team that I believe will bring many more smiles to our faces than what we've seen lately.

Gbinije and Cooney were completely locked down. The pressure ate Gbinije up, and Cooney couldn't get open(we've seen this happen to him often in conference play the last few years).

Howard being out really hurt today. Joseph played some of the worst minutes I've ever seen today. We could've used a ballhandler who could handle their pressure and get Gbinije off the ball to try to free him up to score.

Mike G , Cooney were the focus of Miami's defense, Malachi stepped up and took advantage - the rest of our players didn't take advantage of opportunities and Miami's dare to make them beat them.

Miami's McClellan\,their 5th year guard, was the only player really doing damage in the first half. We contained Rodriguez, Newton and Murphy etc. In the second half, McClellan kept making foul shots - he only made 5 shots all game but was 12-14 from the ft line but Murphy and Newton stepped up in the 2nd half. Miami got 34 free throws and we had only as many FT's as Miami's Murphy alone did - 14. Mike G made just 4 of 9 of those 14 free throws.

We need players that opponents are daring to shoot to actually shoot when they are in position and take advantage of it. Mike G , Cooney and Malachi are the only players willing to date, able to handle the pressure of succeeding/failing. It makes them vulnerable to being the criticized goat but you have to have confidence and cajones to take that heat.

I am a pretty big Joseph defender, but he was flat out terrible today. Didn't go after 2 defensive rebounds he easily could have had that led to continued Miami possessions. Going backwards instead of forward the few times he actually got the ball, plus getting stripped like a 5th grader. I was really hoping he would be able to use the time that Hop will give him, but he's screwing it up badly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom