Cowherd: Should have been a no-call | Syracusefan.com

Cowherd: Should have been a no-call

Mostly should have been a no call because CJ really tried to avoid the contact. Didnt just barrel into Hood. That is what my biggest complaint was about the whole play. He tried to do his best to avoid the contact so the play on was probably the call to make.

With that much contact, the referees are always going to blow the whistle. Must be instinct or something.

No call, tie game, duke ball 10 seconds left. This is what people pay to see.
the damn flop strikes again.

imo: that should always be a defensive foul and i thought the rules this year made it so.

Interesting photo. Looks like Hood is already falling BEFORE any contact. CJ side stepped most of the contact. Looks like Hood sold the flop and Greene anticipating a collision bought it.

CJ\'s charge-block.jpg

I agree 100% it should have been a no-call. But I don't think the picture tells us anything. CJ could have slammed into him three frames earlier. I'd like to see the full video from this angle, which i don't think I've seen.

the damn flop strikes again.

imo: that should always be a defensive foul and i thought the rules this year made it so.

agreed. its definitely not a no call. it is a block.

I agree 100% it should have been a no-call. But I don't think the picture tells us anything. CJ could have slammed into him three frames earlier. I'd like to see the full video from this angle, which i don't think I've seen.
If the ball is released before contact... basket counts.

This is what really, REALLY grinds me...

Every Duke player must have had it drilled in to his head by Coach K a thousand times that CJ Fair is going to go to his left. If you are guarding CJ one on one, force him to his right. Over play his left. So what does Tyler Thornton do? He makes a horrible defensive play, shades towards Fair's right, and get frozen in his shoes as Fair goes to his left and makes a great offensive play. Hood had to leave his man to slide in to Fair and try and bail out Thornton's blunder.

And what happens? This horrible defense gets rewarded.

look at what cj did to avoid the charge. hes basically sideways almost behind the freakin basket!!!

ahh!!!!!!!

Interesting photo. Looks like Hood is already falling BEFORE any contact. CJ side stepped most of the contact. Looks like Hood sold the flop and Greene anticipating a collision bought it.

View attachment 8343

I believe the contact was already made at that point. But, it doesn't matter, Hood was still moving as CJ made started his shot.

STOP IT> I can not stand the evidence of this BS call and the mindless drones who cant believe Boeheim and company
contests the fairness of refs in the Kangaroo ,,I mean Cameron stadium.

Unless Hood's feet were on the baseline and he was set it was a block seeing as CJ shoots from behind the basket. In other words Hood never got set in his direct path.

If the ball is released before contact... basket counts.
Right - the ball is still in CJ's hand in the photo, so if contact was made before the photo he hadn't released it yet. Regardless, i think Greene blew the call so I'm not trying to defend him. I thought Hood was moving to the side into CJ's path when the contact was made. But I also think it was so close that, in that situation, I'd be perfectly fine with a no-call. Rather than the blown call that cost us the game.

Top of his show this morning. Basically said only Cuse fans think it's an egregious call, only Duke fans think it was the absolute correct call. It's not an obvious foul so don't blow the whistle. Similar to Gottlieb's comments.
Finally...a little sense.
I first thought it was a Duke flop.
It was close...no harm...I thought it shoulda been a play on.

that pic is AFTER the contact because hood actually leans forward into cj to initiate the contact, another obvious reason it was a blocking foul.

that pic is AFTER the contact because hood actually leans forward into cj to initiate the contact, another obvious reason it was a blocking foul.

Yup. When you see the defender heavily lean in to the guy with the ball, it's pretty good indication that the defender wasn't in legal position.

Hood has to lean forward to make sure he gets contact because CJ was sliding by baseline. The more I see it the worse it was.

yup. this is why i dont understand people saying it was close or borderline. it wasnt. are there any duke fans lurking? tell me how that was a charge.

Face it. Refs gave Duke two wins rather than chancing 3 losses in a week. They screwed Maryland as well as us. No way Duke is allowed to lose 3 games in a week. At least they issued an apology after the Maryland game. Where the hell is ours?

Face it. Refs gave Duke two wins rather than chancing 3 losses in a week. They screwed Maryland as well as us. No way Duke is allowed to lose 3 games in a week. At least they issued an apology after the Maryland game. Where the hell is ours?

Because the MD issue was actually a concrete fact. There is no subjectivity with possession arrow. Once you rule it as a jump ball, it's one team's ball. Period. The call against us- people will see what they want to see. It's much less objective than the MD game- you can't compare the two.

I think the real takeaway needs to be the rule. The fact that in a single game on pretty much the same play (Parker/Fair) two different officials interpreted the rule differently. Which points to a problem with the rule. They need to word the rule such that no defender will do what Hood/Gbinije did because it is always a block no matter what. Neither player was trying to play defense, both were trying to take the charge, and that is the real issue the rules should be such that there is no notion of "taking a charge". Which is what the restricted area tries to prevent it should just be extended all the way.

The easiest way to look at the play is to pause it when fair star starts his shot process. And the start of shot is not necessarily when he leaves the ground. That is the key principle for a help defender.

When you pause the moment fairs starts his shot process vs the point of contact, Hood has moved almost 2 feet.

Block no doubt about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom