crazy ACC year | Syracusefan.com

crazy ACC year

upperdeck

Living Legend
As we sit Somehow GT/VT are in the top 5 teams, UL can win the league while also losing to Pitt.

but lets throw some crazy last 2 weeks into it.

VT loses to NCst and Virg to go from 5th to 5-7 and no bowl..
Gt loses to SU and GA and goes from 5th to 5-7 and no bowl.
Duke loses to Virg/Pitt and goes from 4-0 to 6-6
Clemson loss to USC and UNC and finishes 6-6
BC loses to Miami and goes 6-6
Miami finishes off a crazy year to beat UL and BC for 8-4 or loses both to go 6-6
Pitt beats Duke for 4-8
Wake loses to ND and SU to finish 4-8

and SU wins out for 7-5 with the BC loss costing them a 8 win season and giving BC a bowl game

7 wins could give them more wins that VT/Pitt/BC/GT/Duke/Clemson/Wake

Outside of FSU and Clemson there is not much separating programs #3 to #17 (next year). Some teams have slight advantages and some teams have slight disadvantages. So their typical seasons and ceiling will be higher. But for the most part those 15 schools will be somewhere between 3-5 and 5-3 in conference most seasons. That is what our minimum goal going forward should be now that FSU and Clemson are no longer yearlies. Going 2-6 should be unacceptable even if we squeak out 6-6.

If I were to group programs by "likes":

-Clemson and FSU. The real FB schools.

-Louisville, NC State, and VA Tech. They think they are FB schools. Larger home crowds.

-Cal, GA Tech, Pitt, UNC, UVA. More academic minded schools. Smaller home crowds.

-BC, Cuse, Duke, Stanford, Wake. Private schools who are at a disadvantage.

-Miami and SMU. Private schools who are in recruiting hotbeds. Boosters can buy them teams that can challenge for the ACC CG.

Those middle 10 schools are pretty much even. The 2nd group is ahead by the slightest of margins. As a program we should be able to be close to .500 against those dozen teams. Obviously the other 4 we will lose most of the time. So 3 to 4 Ws should be our typical season.

As we sit Somehow GT/VT are in the top 5 teams, UL can win the league while also losing to Pitt.

Miami finishes off a crazy year to beat UL and BC for 8-4 or loses both to go 6-6
Pitt beats Duke for 4-8

and SU wins out for 7-5 with the BC loss costing them a 8 win season and giving BC a bowl game

And none of those scenarios are far fetched.

The Louisville loss to Pitt has to be the most puzzling of them all. An actual ND hangover.

Pitt beats Duke for 4-8

That scenario I'd say the Sun Bowl is in play for Cuse.

I think the ACC has a self-perception problem. Perhaps it’s because the programs are in-fighting to see who can get out the door first. But ACC fans are the first ones to say the conference stinks. In the B10 or SEC it’s always, “See how good our programs are? We have parity” In the ACC it’s, “Oh, them. They suck.”

Yeah it isn’t just the ACC. The Big 10 outside of OSU and Michigan(Penn State is ok) is hot garbage but because of the top 2 they get too much credit

Two games left and every Big 10 west team except Purdue could make the B1G conference championship game. It’s a collection of mediocrity at best.

I think the ACC has a self-perception problem. Perhaps it’s because the programs are in-fighting to see who can get out the door first. But ACC fans are the first ones to say the conference stinks. In the B10 or SEC it’s always, “See how good our programs are? We have parity” In the ACC it’s, “Oh, them. They suck.”

Two games left and every Big 10 west team except Purdue could make the B1G conference championship game. It’s a collection of mediocrity at best.
I think you've both described "Coastal Chaos". I'm probably biased "a bit" here, but I think it's great when you can't be sure of your prediction of who will win and at least one different team is in the championship each year. I wonder if the ACC (Clemson v. FSU), B1G (OthatSU and Meeshigan, again), and SEC (Bama v. Georgia) championship games will lose a tad of their luster when it's pretty much the same two teams in it each year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom