Crazy Alaskan high school basketball moment | Syracusefan.com

Crazy Alaskan high school basketball moment

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
Caught the West Valley - Lathrop varsity boys game last night. Cross town rivals. My girls son is a freshman on West Valley.

Just before the end of the half, Lathrop coach picks up a T. (Arguing a call) He sits down in his chair, and slammed his clipboard to ground. The highlighter attached to it, flies into the stands. Game continues.

All of a sudden, coach is standing there, watching play, and this guy comes out of the stands and grabs him on the shoulder. Apparently to have the "bro, your highlighter hit me in the face" talk.. During live play.

Coach tells him to get back in the stands and goes to sit back down. Angry fan, does the whole "grab the chair out from under him" trick, and coach hits the ground hard. It was insane.

Mini fight broke out in the stands, dude gets tossed.
West Valley goes on to win a nail biter.

Fun fact.. In Alaska.. If a coach gets a T, he has to remain sitting the rest of the game. Is that a thing? lol

What's the wildest thing you've seen at a game?

Added to the bucket list... Alaska basketball game

Besides the typical fights with players and one with player and fans that I've witnessed;

At CYO away basketball game, our team was dunking before the game ... fast forward we are in the 4th quarter up by 2 with about 3 minutes to play and our player hits the front rim on free throw. The entire rim just falls to the ground narrowly missing our players under the basket. Everyone just stands around for a couple minutes and the game was delayed for a week until they found a neutral site to play at. God I miss CYO basketball.

I've seen one of the cheerleading dudes fall while running around the court during a tv timeout. Once this year and another one fell while making the transition from floor of the dome to the basketball court. That was probably 5 years ago.

Caught the West Valley - Lathrop varsity boys game last night. Cross town rivals. My girls son is a freshman on West Valley.

Just before the end of the half, Lathrop coach picks up a T. (Arguing a call) He sits down in his chair, and slammed his clipboard to ground. The highlighter attached to it, flies into the stands. Game continues.

All of a sudden, coach is standing there, watching play, and this guy comes out of the stands and grabs him on the shoulder. Apparently to have the "bro, your highlighter hit me in the face" talk.. During live play.

Coach tells him to get back in the stands and goes to sit back down. Angry fan, does the whole "grab the chair out from under him" trick, and coach hits the ground hard. It was insane.

Fun fact.. In Alaska.. If a coach gets a T, he has to remain sitting the rest of the game. Is that a thing? lol

I once saw a guy start almost underneath the basket and fly out to the three point line to block a three pointer and preserve a victory in the national champioship game.

Happened pretty much right in front of me.

Crazy .

I've seen one of the cheerleading dudes fall while running around the court during a tv timeout. Once this year and another one fell while making the transition from floor of the dome to the basketball court. That was probably 5 years ago.
One of my all-time favorite Dome moments!!! It was against G'Town in 2009, packed house. The Dome went nuts when he recovered & caught up.

Another angle:

Whoops"E"

I'll play... was watching a high school game once. To paint the scene on the court -- refs were calling this game like an old school Big East, Syracuse @ Pitt type game. This guy sitting in the front row behind the team bench (assume he was a father, but never confirmed), was loud and obnoxious toward the refs.

It started around 2 mins into the game and he just kept shouting obscenities. It was so bad that I actually felt awkward and I was sitting 4 rows behind the guy. Anyway, at half, the refs tried to talk to the guy and calm him down. He wasn't having it. Midway through the 3rd, another touch foul and this guy just loses it. Jumps to his feet and started saying some really bad stuff. The refs gave the guy a "T". He starts going berzerk.. Second "T". The game is stopped now and the coach of the team walks the parent to the door and he was ejected from the gym. No joke. First, I never knew that you could get a "T" as a fan... They explained it as assessing it to the bench, but still. Thinking back on it, I still feel bad for whichever kid this guy was there to watch.

If, in Alaska, a coach really needs to sit the rest of the game after a T, that is the greatest rule of all time. Hahahaha. "Sit down coach!" And he means it!

If, in Alaska, a coach really needs to sit the rest of the game after a T, that is the greatest rule of all time. Hahahaha. "Sit down coach!" And he means it!

It was insane. In the 2nd half my girlfriend saw him jump up to argue another call, and goes "he better not jump up like that, he'll get another T". I said, "he isn't grounded..." that's when she told me about the rule. And for 99% of the 2nd half, he was glued to his chair. If he did stand up, the refs would give him a glare, and right back down he would go. It was hilarious watching him coach a very tight, very physical game from his seat.

I'm looking for the rule now.

How many times were you "T" upped at a bar and had to sit for the rest of the show? Seems logical

In other words - Thursday.

Angry fan, does the whole "grab the chair out from under him" trick, and coach hits the ground hard.

I would give anything to see video footage of this. Can you take out an ad in the Fairbanks newspaper requesting that someone come forward with it and put it on Youtube?

I would give anything to see video footage of this. Can you take out an ad in the Fairbanks newspaper requesting that someone come forward with it and put it on Youtube?

lol I'll see what I can track down. Someone had to have had their phone out.

I forgot to add. Once the coach hit the floor. He stood up, and just walked off the court. 2.7 seconds left in the half, and dude was gone.

Added to the bucket list... Alaska basketball game

Besides the typical fights with players and one with player and fans that I've witnessed;

At CYO away basketball game, our team was dunking before the game ... fast forward we are in the 4th quarter up by 2 with about 3 minutes to play and our player hits the front rim on free throw. The entire rim just falls to the ground narrowly missing our players under the basket. Everyone just stands around for a couple minutes and the game was delayed for a week until they found a neutral site to play at. God I miss CYO basketball.
Aren't dead ball dunks techicals?

I once saw a guy start almost underneath the basket and fly out to the three point line to block a three pointer and preserve a victory in the national champioship game.

Happened pretty much right in front of me.

Crazy .
I assume you're that famous screaming guy in the Hak picture?

I don't remember a famous screaming guy in the hak picture (I'm assuming the block) but this picture was all over the place.

college-basketball-ncaa-final-four-syracuse-fan-with-do-you-believe-picture-id81347872

I was coaching a CYO team. My assistant coach was a hot-head and almost got a technical the previous game prior to this event. We walk into the court and there's a game already going on. We are in the stands with our team waiting for the game to end. Facing us, but with their back to the coach on the other side, the coach's son gets sucker punched in the stomach really hard. The kid crumbles to the ground. Everyone in the stands saw it. But the coach did not. The refs were on the opposite side around mid-court and did not see anything. Pandemonium ensues. The coach of the team with punched kid was all over the court. The refs did not see the punch but just the pandemonium afterwards so they give the coach a technical. The coach is really mad now and starts screaming at the top of his lungs all ballistic. The refs then throw the guy out of the game and tell him to leave the court. The whole place is absolutely mum except for this coach yelling and cussing as he walks out. It's like one of those "oh my God our parents are fighting" moments. Everyone is quiet and I turn to my assistant and I don't say anything but I wag my finger at him. My wife, his wife, and the other parents were all laughing at my gesture. It was pretty funny. But that was the craziest thing I've seen. Our CYO games have really good refs so stuff like this doesn't usually happen.

In another CYO game which I wasn't there. In a really close game, my other son stole the ball and was running up the court along the side line. As he passed the opposing teams bench one of their players stuck out his leg and tripped my son. He was okay but it was pretty crazy. The refs called a technical and his team went on to win the game. He was okay. But that was a pretty strange moment.

In another CYO game which I wasn't there. In a really close game, my other son stole the ball and was running up the court along the side line. As he passed the opposing teams bench one of their players stuck out his leg and tripped my son. He was okay but it was pretty crazy. The refs called a technical and his team went on to win the game. He was okay. But that was a pretty strange moment.

That's interesting your son played in the same CYO league as Grayson Allen.

County Championship game between 2 city rivals, I was in grade 10 so only watching the game. Gym packed. We were about a dozen rows up near the top. Referees were calling a brutal game and it was in the second half.

All of a sudden, I hear the person beside me say "You F... Hit Him". Look a little further down, and my friend who is now a Doctor, has his hands in his face. I don't think he anticipated he would actually plunk him. He had flicked a quarter from the stand at the ref and it caught him square in the forehead. I looked down at the floor and the ref was busted open.

So they stop the game, and as it was on our home floor, our principal gets on the loud speaker and pulls the old middle school trick... except we are in high school at a city championship game. Principal announces that the game will not continue until someone admits to throwing the coin. About 3 or 4 minutes pass, no one says anything, and the coaches go up to the principal on the middle of the floor and tell him to please leave.

Not condoning what my friend did, but it was crazy. And the principal treating the crowd like 7 year old was memorable anyway.

Our school ended up losing in overtime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom