Crazy courts? | Syracusefan.com

Crazy courts?

44doubledees

Scout Team
Never saw Vanderbilt or Oregons home courts before both very bizarre. Vanderbilt with excessive hard court sideline and benches on the baseline and Oregon well I guess it makes sense when talking Oregon.

You've never seen Vandy's court before? I find that shocking, not making fun, just find it surprising for some reason.

Oregon plays on the west coast so it makes a bit more sense to me.

Never saw Vanderbilt or Oregons home courts before both very bizarre. Vanderbilt with excessive hard court sideline and benches on the baseline and Oregon well I guess it makes sense when talking Oregon.

Never seen Vandy's? Wow thats a surprise.

Yeah limited Vandy games here on the east coast in Canada, what is the deal why don't they take the hardwood out and put seats in, seems like a waste.
satellite provider just recently put in college hoops package so viewing options much more plentiful now. Although a lot of them are in SD, are their still games getting recorded in SD not HD?

Cal State Bakersfield
cal-stbaskefield.jpg

Yeah limited Vandy games here on the east coast in Canada, what is the deal why don't they take the hardwood out and put seats in, seems like a waste.
satellite provider just recently put in college hoops package so viewing options much more plentiful now. Although a lot of them are in SD, are their still games getting recorded in SD not HD?
I've been to Vandy for a game. Everyone needs to put it on their bucket list. It's quite the arena.

Oregon has the worst court I have ever seen.

Stupid as --and I usually like their uniform innovations, etc.

Stupid as ****--and I usually like their uniform innovations, etc.

Its hard on the eyes.

i want to pull for oregon in the upset. but i can't get past how stupid their court looks. i saw the pictures on the internet way back when, and thought maybe it would be cool. this is the first time i've seen in on tv, omg combined with their stupid highlighter yellow uniforms man does it look bad.

Vandy ahead!!! Loving this comeback
It's pretty embarrasing for Vandy and UK that Marist won at Vandy earlier this year by 17. This is a Marist team with only four wins all year and they went to Nashville and kicks the stuffing out of Vanderbilt.

Wow, they're counting Noel's shot in this UK/Vandy game??????? What? lol

How can they miss that violation? and then not review it under one minute.

Agreed. Plus, you can't tell what the picture on the court is unless it's a shot from high above.

How can they miss that violation? and then not review it under one minute.

I have no idea, that was glaringly obvious. Can they review that? If so, that's beyond absurd.

You've never seen Vandy's court before? I find that shocking, not making fun, just find it surprising for some reason.

Oregon plays on the west coast so it makes a bit more sense to me.

That's why I read this board, most everyone "gets it". If I was talking to a colleague or 90% of my friends and explained Oregon's court like you just did they would look at me like I had three heads. About the west coast and their SuperFans... Usually if you don't understand something about the why of college sports you just might be discussing a west coast program.

It almost seems like if they didn't have a few great universities and their history/tradition albeit short & sweet; they would have names reminding you of MLB FarmClubs or NBDL juggernauts like the Dazzle of Roanoke and the mighty Biscuits from Montgomery.

A southern sports nut and friend residing in Alameda went out to see Saint Mary's play the Zags I believe. They wanted to go out to a bar prior to the game, then get in early for a good seat. Although beautiful, the coeds had literally no idea their team was having the best year in history and hosting the top 5 -10 Zags. A small private Catholic school of 4100 students in a town of 16,000 who basically had no idea they had a ranked basketball team. Where else in America would this happen?

Trivia Nugget: During World War II the college was used by the United States Navy for the training of pilots. Gerald Ford was briefly stationed at the school and served as a naval instructor.

I was equally shocked he had never seen the Vandy court, however until recent success I don't believe they usually get much publicity.

Memorial Gym's Raised Floor
Due to its alternate use as a concert hall, Memorial Gym features a raised floor that is also a rarity among college basketball venues. The floor's elevation means that part of the crowd (as well as those sitting at the press table) is actually sitting below the floor line and must look up slightly to see the action.
While Vanderbilt is not the only school to feature a basketball venue with the raised-floor design, it is part of a very small club. Other college basketball venues with raised floors are Williams Arena at the University of Minnesota and Hinkle Fieldhouse at Butler University in Indianapolis. Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois, also housed a raised basketball court until Robertson Memorial Field House was demolished in 2008.

i want to pull for oregon in the upset. but i can't get past how stupid their court looks. i saw the pictures on the internet way back when, and thought maybe it would be cool. this is the first time i've seen in on tv, omg combined with their stupid highlighter yellow uniforms man does it look bad.
We like it fine in these here parts. It's that way to welcome the visitors to the "Forest." Get used to it & move on.

As for the uniforms, the football team wears the same shade of yellow at time. I guess there's less to say about that when you've got a top 5 team every year. Again, my advice is get used to it!

The big thing about Vandy's court that has always bothered me are the stars painted in the out-of-bounds area in the corners. The angle of the cameras and the positioning and gold coloring of those stars makes the net virtually invisible on TV. I find it very difficult to tell when shots go in as a result.

Vanderbilt's court is often seen in the NCAA tournament. But at least they got rid of the elevated court that had to be dangerous. I remember that from the 90's, not sure when they fixed it.

Agreed. That floor is terrible. The Memorial Gym at Vandy is fantastic though. I was there for Keith Bulluck's charity basketball game back in 04 or around there. McNabb, Freeney, TO, etc. all played. It's a cool place.

Vanderbilt's court is often seen in the NCAA tournament. But at least they got rid of the elevated court that had to be dangerous. I remember that from the 90's, not sure when they fixed it.

I think they play NCAA games at the arena downtown where the Preds play actually.