Create "Tailgate City" on the Quad | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Create "Tailgate City" on the Quad

Pretty soon the parking will be dsignated to Destiny USA and people will be shuttled in.

LOL its funny because I could totally see that.

Oh hell I was being totally serious. You wait, I am sure that has been discussed!

At that point we might as well just tailgate at one of the parking lots downtown that are empty on the weekend.

Pretty soon the parking will be dsignated to Destiny USA and people will be shuttled in.

Actually if they get the train running up again...old Mr. Congel might look at this as an opportunity...I do feel SU needs to work with downtown and get the train going again. Seriously tailgating at the trolley lot had some great advantages. SU could market it better to visiting fans too...who could spend their discretionary income downtown and take the train to the game and back.

BTW, just digested the new parking map...sadly the Fine Lot view to the Dome looks like it will be forever changed.

Actually if they get the train running up again...old Mr. Congel might look at this as an opportunity...I do feel SU needs to work with downtown and get the train going again. Seriously tailgating at the trolley lot had some great advantages. SU could market it better to visiting fans too...who could spend their discretionary income downtown and take the train to the game and back.

Unfortunately the Dome is just in a terrible spot. It just is unfortunate that it wasnt built someplace else where there were plenty of parking/roads that lead in and out that would make gamedays more enjoyable and where some type of a tradition could be built.

Unfortunately the Dome is just in a terrible spot. It just is unfortunate that it wasnt built someplace else where there were plenty of parking/roads that lead in and out that would make gamedays more enjoyable and where some type of a tradition could be built.

I remember the Dome discussions before it was built. I remember the 3 main spots being discussed were the campus where it is now, the fairgrounds and the old train station area in East Syracuse. I always thought it should be built at the old train station. Easy access with 81, 690, 481 and even the train then, being right there as well as a ton of land for parking. State Fairgrounds would have been OK and my second choice. While nice to some being on campus, SU property there just wasn't conducive to having a 50K stadium. Little access, no parking, old run down housing, situated amongst "side streets", hilly etc. Both with the Dome and with the baseball stadium, we made the wrong decisions in both cases.

I remember the Dome discussions before it was built. I remember the 3 main spots being discussed were the campus where it is now, the fairgrounds and the old train station area in East Syracuse. I always thought it should be built at the old train station. Easy access with 81, 690, 481 and even the train then, being right there as well as a ton of land for parking. State Fairgrounds would have been OK and my second choice. While nice to some being on campus, SU property there just wasn't conducive to having a 50K stadium. Little access, no parking, old run down housing, situated amongst "side streets", hilly etc. Both with the Dome and with the baseball stadium, we made the wrong decisions in both cases.

agree 100%

My father used to always say they should have put it at the Fairgrounds and I have to say I think it could have worked out if it went there. However, not sure how that would effect the actual Fair in August but I do know people couldnt use the execuse of going to the Fair to miss the first game every year.

My father used to always say they should have put it at the Fairgrounds and I have to say I think it could have worked out if it went there. However, not sure how that would effect the actual Fair in August but I do know people couldnt use the execuse of going to the Fair to miss the first game every year.

If Skytop doesn't work...I think the Fairgrounds/Destiny area is a good area for a new stadium. Although I would really explore looking around downtown too. If you built near the fairgrounds you could market the game and the Fair together. TX somehow figured out how to work the UT/OU into the TX State Fair...pretty sure NY could figure it out too.

If Skytop doesn't work...I think the Fairgrounds/Destiny area is a good area for a new stadium. Although I would really explore looking around downtown too. If you built near the fairgrounds you could market the game and the Fair together. TX somehow figured out how to work the UT/OU into the TX State Fair...pretty sure NY could figure it out too.

I dont know where they would have the space downtown for a stadium and the parking situation would be an absolute disaster.

I dont know where they would have the space downtown for a stadium and the parking situation would be an absolute disaster.

It can be done...but it would have to be down as part of a larger urban planning project. It doesn't look that daunting to me (money issues aside)...I figure the new stadium would be no larger than 45k with more luxury boxes and a retractable roof. I bought my lottery ticket...:p

They could look at building a parking facility beneath the stadium, as was done with the Amsterdam ArenA. While it would only address some of the parking need (current Q and some A?) it could help.

What is it with Syracuse fans (Americans in general?) about walking? Looking at those parking maps I'd say there is more CLOSE parking than there's ever been. Personally, I never minded the walk and still don't. When I was a kid I'd go to games at Archbold with my father and we'd park downtown and either hike up hill or take the shuttle bus. When I was in grad school and living on Euclid Ave. near Lancaster we'd walk through campus. Later I parked on Walnut Place well outside Zone B and walk up to the quad. Tailgating was never a big part of the scene when I lived in Syracuse, but pregaming and postgaming definitely was. Walking just helped stoke the appetite.

What is it with Syracuse fans (Americans in general?) about walking? Looking at those parking maps I'd say there is more CLOSE parking than there's ever been. Personally, I never minded the walk and still don't. When I was a kid I'd go to games at Archbold with my father and we'd park downtown and either hike up hill or take the shuttle bus. When I was in grad school and living on Euclid Ave. near Lancaster we'd walk through campus. Later I parked on Walnut Place well outside Zone B and walk up to the quad. Tailgating was never a big part of the scene when I lived in Syracuse, but pregaming and postgaming definitely was. Walking just helped stoke the appetite.

As an addendum the "Vice Squad's" success in jacking up the drinking age in NYS to 21 did a lot to put a damper on game day atmosphere on campus. Eventiually, if the Morals Police and Health Nazis have their way game day will be relegated to an in-home experience and stadiums will become nothing more than sound stages where games will be played for the benefit of the technicians who will program the canned cheers and other appropriate "fan" responses. Hell, its already trending that way with a general decline in attendance at live sporting events.

Unbelievable, isn't it? A loud minority of Central New Yorkers have to be some of the laziest people anywhere.

I've never lived someplace where so many people are adamant that any distance - even a few blocks - must be driven. Folks in here have taken it one step further. Not only is walking unacceptable, but inexpensive parking is some kind of right. And that egress from that parking better not be slowed by all those other drivers who enjoyed it.

Unbelievable, isn't it? A loud minority of Central New Yorkers have to be some of the laziest people anywhere.

I've never lived someplace where so many people are adamant that any distance - even a few blocks - must be driven. Folks in here have taken it one step further. Not only is walking unacceptable, but inexpensive parking is some kind of right. And that egress from that parking better not be slowed by all those other drivers who enjoyed it.

You're posts are worse than any posts discussing issues because you go so far over the top the other way. Loud and lazy? Pffft.:blah: