Creating competition at DB | Syracusefan.com

Creating competition at DB

Doctor44

2nd String
Shafer mentioned in the press conference that he wanted to create more competition at DB. Probably because we got shredded by the top end talent at FSU and clemson.

Looking at our top DBs for next year we get:

Eskridge at safety, Reddish at CB, Morgan at CB, Darius Kelly at Safety

Others on the depth chart - Desir, Whigham, Scissum

Our LBs look to be Arciniega, Dyshawn Davis and Cameron Lynch ( Kirkland and Hodge look to push for playing time)

I think Reddish is a great cover corner. He seems to have got burned looking in the back field and with some miscommunication in zone defense. Kelly can be a lightning rod, but his size is going to make it difficult to compete with big WRs down the field. Morgan was one of the few big time recruits from NYC that we've landed. He's very athletic and I'm hoping he can put it together for us this seasons. Eskridge - let's hope he continue to improve, because he's got big time potential. If he can put on more weight and make some big hits in the run game, he's got a chance to be special this year.

Again, I think our LBs should be the strength of our D. Let's hope the d line (with williams, thompson and simmons) can hold their own, so the LBs dont have to do so much work in the run game. If the LBs can be free to fly the to ball, I think we'll be in ok shape and itll be great if they can really help cover the middle of the field.

This is going to be coach bullough's second year. Hope that we can work on some of the communication when we go zone and players really start to understand the scheme. I think its the blown coverages that really drive fans crazy. Lets just ignore the FSU game.

What're y'alls thoughts on our defensive back field this year? I'm cautiously optimistic about the defense and i think they'll stand up through the course of the season.

Shafer mentioned in the press conference that he wanted to create more competition at DB. Probably because we got shredded by the top end talent at FSU and clemson.

Looking at our top DBs for next year we get:

Eskridge at safety, Reddish at CB, Morgan at CB, Darius Kelly at Safety

Others on the depth chart - Desir, Whigham, Scissum

Our LBs look to be Arciniega, Dyshawn Davis and Cameron Lynch ( Kirkland and Hodge look to push for playing time)

I think Reddish is a great cover corner. He seems to have got burned looking in the back field and with some miscommunication in zone defense. Kelly can be a lightning rod, but his size is going to make it difficult to compete with big WRs down the field. Morgan was one of the few big time recruits from NYC that we've landed. He's very athletic and I'm hoping he can put it together for us this seasons. Eskridge - let's hope he continue to improve, because he's got big time potential. If he can put on more weight and make some big hits in the run game, he's got a chance to be special this year.

Again, I think our LBs should be the strength of our D. Let's hope the d line (with williams, thompson and simmons) can hold their own, so the LBs dont have to do so much work in the run game. If the LBs can be free to fly the to ball, I think we'll be in ok shape and itll be great if they can really help cover the middle of the field.

This is going to be coach bullough's second year. Hope that we can work on some of the communication when we go zone and players really start to understand the scheme. I think its the blown coverages that really drive fans crazy. Lets just ignore the FSU game.

What're y'alls thoughts on our defensive back field this year? I'm cautiously optimistic about the defense and i think they'll stand up through the course of the season.

They are really playing Shafer's scheme. He really tries to make the coverage simple so a little experience can go along way. I think things will be a lot smoother next season.

Shafer's scheme is very aggressive so we are going to give up big plays. Coaches need to "pick their spots" better in some cases (ex. the long pass at the end of the 1st half against BC where there was no need to be in man on Amidon).

If Whigham is healthy, he'll start at CB. Think Morgan gets used somewhat like Shamarko- covering slot guys, blitzing, giving run support.

he also mentioned these dbs add athletes to specials and something they need he said.

Shafer's scheme is very aggressive so we are going to give up big plays. Coaches need to "pick their spots" better in some cases (ex. the long pass at the end of the 1st half against BC where there was no need to be in man on Amidon).

If Whigham is healthy, he'll start at CB. Think Morgan gets used somewhat like Shamarko- covering slot guys, blitzing, giving run support.
I think the big plays were not caused by aggression but by player mistakes.. The clemson game had 3 big plays , two were coverage mistakes and one was just a better player beat us. the same with the NW game, guys made mistakes.

Defense loses 3 DBs who played a lot (but were injured at times), Spruill & Bromley. That seems like a lot to lose, but it is probably less than most of the teams we will play.

We have a lot of returning experience up front (6 of 8 in the 2013 rotation), and 2 returning vets at LB. We don't have a world-beater at DE, but we have 4 DEs with above-average size -- a rare luxury for an SU team.

At DB, we have 3 returning CBs who started and/or played a lot, Eskridge who was our best DB at one S spot, and Kelly & Desir who will be at least a match for Wilkes at the other S spot. Scissum (RF) apparently did well for the scout team, and provides depth as the 4th safety.

That is a heck of a start. Add a big DT (Williams) to the rotation; a rush DE (Simmons?); and maybe one true frosh for depth at CB (Dowels?). Then, the biggest question for the Spring -- MLB.

Fewer questions than in most years. If any frosh provide any competition for any spots in the 2 deep, all the better. Aside from a back up DB spot, it does not seem likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom