Critical Coaches: Which player's recruitment is perceived dirtiest of past decade? | Syracusefan.com

Critical Coaches: Which player's recruitment is perceived dirtiest of past decade?

It's actually nice that of the 24 players listed, none ended up at SU.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

By my count Coach Cal has like 7 guys on this list. This is basically just a list of guys who everyone knows got paid to go somewhere which is how Cal gets most of his kids. I think it's obvious to any reasonable person that Davis got paid 250k to go to Kentucky. I also happen to know someone who is a lower level guy in the NBA who happened to be in the same draft as Tyreke Evans and he said that Tyreke Evans told him he didn't want to go to Memphis but they gave him 200k so he decided to go there.

No Noel?

He's not eligible right now either. But, we all know that UK and UCLA will find ways to get both Noel and Muhammed on the court this season.

The one that hurt the most, I think, was when Kenny Anderson got that sweet BMW from GT. SU would have had one of the greatest NCAA Championship teams of all time that year. Anderson would have joined DC, Billy Owens, Stevie Thompson, LeRon Ellis, Dave Johnson, etc. Even Vitale said at the time that everyone else would have been playing for second place.

He's not eligible right now either. But, we all know that UK and UCLA will find ways to get both Noel and Muhammed on the court this season.

The one that hurt the most, I think, was when Kenny Anderson got that sweet BMW from GT. SU would have had one of the greatest NCAA Championship teams of all time that year. Anderson would have joined DC, Billy Owens, Stevie Thompson, LeRon Ellis, Dave Johnson, etc. Even Vitale said at the time that everyone else would have been playing for second place.

What BMW? His mom got a house.

What BMW? His mom got a house.

That may be, but I remember reading after he was drafted that he had frequently been seen tooling around campus during his frosh season in a Bimmer. Regardless, he was paid handsomely for his one year as a Yellowjacket.

That may be, but I remember reading after he was drafted that he had frequently been seen tooling around campus during his frosh season in a Bimmer. Regardless, he was paid handsomely for his one year as a Yellowjacket.
He actually had a BMW and Mercedes at GT. I met a guy who hung out with him at GT.

I was thinking about this the other day; Kenny's frequently one of our all-time "what-ifs."

But would he have been an improvement over Sherm (who, with essentially the same group, plus Matt Roe, wasn't able to win the previous year)? Anderson as a freshman would have been an improvement over Michael Edwards; I get that. And Georgia Tech did, I think, end up getting through its regional in 1990. But I wouldn't call a Syracuse Final Four or national championship automatic by any means; if Sherm and a balanced offense couldn't get us six consecutive wins in 1989, what would Anderson do with a team with one fewer shooter in 1990? Point guard wasn't the strength it had been in 1989, but Edwards was at least serviceable; I'd argue that Roe's departure hurt us more than Anderson's.

If we're doing "what-ifs" on that season [which I think was an uphill battle - guys were less focused, Derrick was already halfway out the door], what if Hopkins had been groomed as the starting point from Day One? He was already a better defender than Edwards, and always was a better shooter. Had good passing instincts, too, with better size. Probably could've developed into more of an offensive weapon than Edwards, helping space the floor, by the time March rolled around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom