Crume | Syracusefan.com

Crume

OrangeMuskyFish

Starter
OK, so, since I was at the game and didn't get back to Rochester til later on, perhaps the topic had been beaten to death and buried long before I got home... but what is going on with Crume? If he only plays during the first two games, is he RS eligible, and is that looking like the plan? I really can't imagine this happening.

It would be pretty impressive if we could manage a successful season, while still knowing that many of our most physically gifted recruits, Broyld, Simmons, AAM, Eskridge, Hunt, Hale, and Crume, not to mention pretty much every other additional lineman, preserved all four years of eligibility. And would that list include Vigille? Don't know how much special teams work he has gotten.

A good question. Think the shirt is burned.

Some spots we need all hands on deck to get to a bowl and those extra practices.

Maybe he's in the same boat with Coker (don't think we've seen the last of him, either).

A good question. Think the shirt is burned.

Some spots we need all hands on deck to get to a bowl and those extra practices.

Maybe he's in the same boat with Coker (don't think we've seen the last of him, either).

Agree with needing all hands on deck at the DT position... which is why this surprises me much more than the AAM situation. Even stranger, is the fact that nobody seems to be talking about it.

Could it be simply that the kid is hurt?
Didn't look hurt on the sidelines.

I think one big reason why Crume isn't playing much is because Bromley, Boatman and Goggins are playing well. Even astonishingly well given their relative inexperience. I was amazed how well they held their own against USC's massive OL.

Another reason he didn't play much on Saturday was because we were in the Okie most of the game and he is not a part of that unit. That unit emphasizes speed and agility. Not Crume's strong point, at least not at this point in his career. He will be more of a factor, I think, against teams that try to power run against us.

he can still RS if he has shown an in injury.. seems like he will need to play though to get us thru the year.

He honestly should be playing on those 3rd and 4th and 1 situations, because if there is one thing Goggins and Bromley can't do, its ing stop a QB sneak.

Didn't look hurt on the sidelines.

I think one big reason why Crume isn't playing much is because Bromley, Boatman and Goggins are playing well. Even astonishingly well given their relative inexperience. I was amazed how well they held their own against USC's massive OL.

Another reason he didn't play much on Saturday was because we were in the Okie most of the game and he is not a part of that unit. That unit emphasizes speed and agility. Not Crume's strong point, at least not at this point in his career. He will be more of a factor, I think, against teams that try to power run against us.

Tomcat, I agree that they are not getting blown off the line, but I'm finding our lack of a strong pass rush frustrating. Every team for the most part has been comfortable and when we blitz it's getting picked up fairly well, with the exception of a few plays a game. Any thoughts? Hopefully Chandler will be back this week and will make an impact.

He honestly should be playing on those 3rd and 4th and 1 situations, because if there is one thing Goggins and Bromley can't do, its ******* stop a QB sneak.

That's kind of what seems fishy to me. You have a kid getting that type of praise, who I thought continued to look good in his minimal snaps thus far, and with such bulk and strength that even if we have been pleasantly surprised by the play of our other DTs, I can't imagine that you can't utilize his skills somewhere... such as those short-yardage situations.

That's kind of what seems fishy to me. You have a kid getting that type of praise, who I thought continued to look good in his minimal snaps thus far, and with such bulk and strength that even if we have been pleasantly surprised by the play of our other DTs, I can't imagine that you can't utilize his skills somewhere... such as those short-yardage situations.
Tomcat, I agree that they are not getting blown off the line, but I'm finding our lack of a strong pass rush frustrating. Every team for the most part has been comfortable and when we blitz it's getting picked up fairly well, with the exception of a few plays a game. Any thoughts? Hopefully Chandler will be back this week and will make an impact.
I think Chandler is our best pass rusher at DE. Sharpe seems to have lost a step as he has gotten bigger. I like Ball a lot but he is not a pass rusher. So anyway, yes, losing Chandler has hurt the pass rush. A lot. Haven't had much in the way of a strong pass rush from the DL in any year of the Shafer era. As long as they contain and tighten the pocket consistently, I am fine with what they are doing.

This will, by the way, be one of the the keys to the game on Saturday. The little QB on the team from New Jersey is extremely ineffective passing from the pocket. If Syracuse can be disciplined enough to contain on rollouts, Dodd? will struggle to have more completions than interceptions.

From what I have seen, we aren't even lining up a player

I think Chandler is our best pass rusher at DE. Sharpe seems to have lost a step as he has gotten bigger. I like Ball a lot but he is not a pass rusher. So anyway, yes, losing Chandler has hurt the pass rush. A lot. Haven't had much in the way of a strong pass rush from the DL in any year of the Shafer era. As long as they contain and tighten the pocket consistently, I am fine with what they are doing.

This will, by the way, be one of the the keys to the game on Saturday. The little QB on the team from New Jersey is extremely ineffective passing from the pocket. If Syracuse can be disciplined enough to contain on rollouts, Dodd? will struggle to have more completions than interceptions.

He struggles in the pocket because he is real short. Under 6'.

He struggles in the pocket because he is real short. Under 6'.

I hope we are working on getting our D's hands up on pass plays. I'd like to see a lot of batted down balls this week.