Cuse football storylines '13 edition | Syracusefan.com

Cuse football storylines '13 edition

billsin01

All American
Probably a bit early for a football preview since we should learn a bit more about this team in August, but it's summer and, especially during the all-star break, what else is there to do? So without further ado, some stories to watch for the upcoming season:

How good is the ACC?
So the general consensus seems to be that our new conference is, at minimum, a step up in competition level from our last conference. There is at least some who believe it's a pretty significant step up and a whole new level of competition. I'm not entirely sure how true that is, however. If you take a look at the BE vs. ACC record last year it was 5-5 -- three of those losses belonged to Temple and USF, teams that combined to win just three games in BE play. If you go back even further and take the record from 2006, the BE was 30-28 vs. the ACC over the past seven seasons. So what does that mean? Well, nothing I suppose. It's an imperfect way of comparing conferences but it is worth mentioning from the standpoint that while we do gain the benefit of playing teams that are regarded as better competition, we should still have plenty of winnable games on the schedule.

We know George McDonald can recruit ... can he also coordinate an offense?
So the guy is young, personable, and a dynamic recruiter. Those are very good things. The question now becomes does a guy who has had very little experience as a coordinator truly have the same knack for the X's and O's portion of the game? To me, if there's one question that ranks above all others as the most important to our potential for success this season it's this one. I would assume his goal is to set up a fast-paced, wide-open (even if it's largely running) offense. He certainly has some solid parts to work with -- pretty experienced OL, good RBs, a solid top WR, solid TE play ... but there are question marks as well. How that plays out is anyone's guess, IMO. And if you're doubting how much coaching has to do with production (all you 'talent is all that matters' folks), take a look at last season when Hackett finally wrestled some control of the style/decision-making away from DM.

Allen vs. Hunt
No need to spend much time on it. You've got a veteran kid with a first-class pedigree against a younger, greener, probably rawer talent who's had some off-field concerns in his time here. That would seem to add up to Allen getting the gig, but whoever it ends up being, needs to end up producing. If we're looking for a second big key to the season, this battle (and the ensuing results) is it.

From the 'Good Problem to Have' file: How do we get all the RBs involved?
Jerome Smith lacks top-end speed but is a nightmare to bring down between the tackles. Gulley is a better all-around back than he gets credit for with more power than you think and solid speed to boot. Those two also have a ton of experience at this point. But Morris III and McFarlane seem like top-end talent as well and you have the Ashton Broyld quandary lurking. I would imagine Gulley ends up in the slot a fair amount and Smith loses a few carries to the young guys. Regardless, it will be an interesting position to watch.

Do special teams get closer to being special again?
We saw some nice improvement over the course of the year here but this was a significant issue for the better part of DM's tenure. My guess is a coaching staff that may be a bit more in-tune with the college game may have a better feel and understanding of just how important this area of the game is. Need Krautman to find his accuracy again and someone to emerge as a consistent punter. We 'should' finally have legit threats to return kicks this year as well.

Who's number 2 ... and 3?
West is a good option as the top WR and we should be able to sleep at night knowing he's here. Beyond that is anyone's guess. The bright side is that there appears to be some talent and a bit of experience as well. Kobena is a darkhorse, IMO, to have a really solid season. I think he catches the ball better than his reputation suggests. Funderburke should be solid as well. I can't imagine being recruited to the SEC if you didn't have some talent and I can't imagine the previous staff taking a gamble on a transfer if they didn't feel he had a pretty good chance of helping out. Christopher Clark may not be a big-time guy but he should contribute and if one of the guys we haven't seen -- Flemming, Cornelius, Lewis, etc. -- can step up, we should be OK numbers wise. I'd be surprised if WR was a strength for this team but this group only needs to be good enough to function in an offense that will likely spread the defense out and create some mismatches.

Can this group generate enough pressure with it's front four?
There are certainly a pretty a nice group of interior lineman here and pretty clearly a shortage of numbers at DE. I think the Simmons injury and MPB dismissal will be a problem. I'm not against sending an extra defender or two but you're going to get burned against quality OL. Will be interested to see if we see a few more 3-4 type looks out of this group with Welch and Robinson getting a lot of PT along with Crume, Bromley and Raymon and then using a guy like D. Davis as a pass-rushing LB.

Is this secondary as good as it seems it might be?
Lyn/Anderson/Reddish is as good a group of 3 corners as we've had since at least the Will Allen days, IMO, and Whigham and George seem poised to contribute as well. Nice luxury given how much teams throw the ball these days. Desir and Eskridge look like players. Wilkes to me is a question mark, but if he can put together a solid senior campaign, that is a strong group. Still somewhat surprised McFarlane isn't in the DB group.

Can the OL sustain what it did last year without the services of Justin Pugh?
You generally don't see one guy alter the entire trajectory of a season and it's even more rare when that one guy is an offensive lineman. But that's what Pugh did last season. That said, Hickey/Macky/Trudo is a good group of returnees and we've heard good things about guys like Palmer/Robinson/Knapp/Foy. Right tackle is a question but if this group can consistently get some push, we should be tough to stop running the ball.

And last but not least ...

Who is Scott Shafer?
We know he is #hard-nosed. We know he's more progressive than his predecessor, which should help recruiting/fund-raising etc. We know he can coordinate a defense and develop young kids. But can he run the program with the same efficiency of DM? Can he handle the organizational aspects of the job? Can he channel his fiery passion in such a way that it translates to success on the field? Will be interesting to watch.

Jerome Smith lacks top-end speed but is a nightmare to bring down between the tackles. Gulley is a better all-around back than he gets credit for with more power than you think and solid speed to boot. Those two also have a ton of experience at this point. But Morris III and McFarlane seem like top-end talent as well and you have the Ashton Broyld quandary lurking. I would imagine Gulley ends up in the slot a fair amount and Smith loses a few carries to the young guys. Regardless, it will be an interesting position to watch.

You mentioned the Broyld quandry - any reason he can't play WR?

You mentioned the Broyld quandry - any reason he can't play WR?

Nope, not a problem in my mind. I was under the impression that he simply hadn't found a position to speak of yet and the last we saw of him was at RB. If he finds a home at WR, that would be good for all involved.

McDonald recruiting ability more important than his OC ability.

The other thing I was thinking about him is that he's probably a great motivator. He and Shafer will be fighting over who gives pre-game speeches.

The ability to motivate and get complete buy in from talented players will certainly help him succeed as an OC. But between Marrone and Hackett, an awful lot of offensive knowledge left the staff. I do hope he's ready for the gameplanning, and gameday chess matches.

Thank you for a nice post and getting me more stoked for the season to start!

I see some of the running backs getting time as slot wr 's especially gulley and broyld

I don't see it that way at all. I don't pretend to know what kind of recruiter Hackett was but I don't remember necessarily hearing glowing reviews of that part of his repertoire. However, if you believe the storyline that Hackett convinced DM to open it up and go no-huddle/fast pace prior to the season, than there was no more important difference between our offense prior to last season (sucktastic) and our offense last season (record-setting).

And while I'd agree that there appears to be a pretty nice upgrade in terms of recruiting with this staff, the last staff did well enough to leave us with Funderburk/West/Hickey/Broyld/Morris/McFarlane/Gulley/Smith and others. I mean, unless you don't think this roster is capable of competing at a high level, then you'd have to acknowledge the previous staff recruited at an acceptable level.

I don't know -- I don't get into coaching vs. recruiting generally since you need both, but I think systems and player development will always be a HUGE key for a school that's unlikely to consistently land enough talent to simply overwhelm the majority of its opponents.

I don't see it that way at all. I don't pretend to know what kind of recruiter Hackett was but I don't remember necessarily hearing glowing reviews of that part of his repertoire. However, if you believe the storyline that Hackett convinced DM to open it up and go no-huddle/fast pace prior to the season, than there was no more important difference between our offense prior to last season (sucktastic) and our offense last season (record-setting).

And while I'd agree that there appears to be a pretty nice upgrade in terms of recruiting with this staff, the last staff did well enough to leave us with Funderburk/West/Hickey/Broyld/Morris/McFarlane/Gulley/Smith and others. I mean, unless you don't think this roster is capable of competing at a high level, then you'd have to acknowledge the previous staff recruited at an acceptable level.

I don't know -- I don't get into coaching vs. recruiting generally since you need both, but I think systems and player development will always be a HUGE key for a school that's unlikely to consistently land enough talent to simply overwhelm the majority of its opponents.

The awful truth.

Whether it's on the play ground or Ernie Davis Field or the Jim Boeheim Court.

"It's not the X's and O's, it's the "Jimmy's and the Joe's"

If, as I think he can, McDonald can accumulate a lot of "Jimmy's and Joe's" his skill as an OC will be less important.

Give me Bo Jackson and Donovan McNabb along with a garden variety scheme and I'll give you a good offense.

How this staff communicates and teaches is going to be huge. These kids are going to fail and make mistakes as are the coaches but it'll be how they handle failure that will define them. Keep teaching, listen to what the players have to say and make adjustments to situations, as simple as that sounds it's still one of the hardest things to do because of all the emotion football brings. If the coaches are rattled...the players will follow suit and from what I've gathered this staff is pretty in tune with each other and hopefully they will be able to continue to help each other and say something to another coach that they may not want to hear or just don't see. I'm all for coaching autonomy but it's SS's job to stay on top of things as HC and along with that to have the continued support of his staff.

I'm pretty excited to see how these men coach in the Meadowlands. PSU has a very good history of having strong front 7's so right out of the box these guys are going to be seriously challenged.

Do special teams get closer to being special again?
We saw some nice improvement over the course of the year here but this was a significant issue for the better part of DM's tenure. My guess is a coaching staff that may be a bit more in-tune with the college game may have a better feel and understanding of just how important this area of the game is. Need Krautman to find his accuracy again and someone to emerge as a consistent punter. We 'should' finally have legit threats to return kicks this year as well.

That is an excellent point/thought

I think you are right an OC needs to be able to run a good offense, what kind of a recruiter would he become if he couldn't?

But I do have faith in him and also I like how Tim Lester has play calling experience even if it was at the D3 level he will at least be there as a good second opinion. Lets not also not forget he does come with hacketts endorsement for what its worth.

If, as I think he can, McDonald can accumulate a lot of "Jimmy's and Joe's" his skill as an OC will be less important.

This I absolutely agree with. I think where I disagree is with the general importance people put on "talent " -- at least as defined by general recruiting definition. The idea that we're in better shape with more highly regarded talent is great and I don't disagree that higher end kids will generally yield better results.

That said, kids with higher ratings are often deemed better by definition of being more game-ready or projectable in an NFL sense (size/frame combo). In other words it may not be as much a question of pure talent and more a question of polish. Obviously that's a generalization, but the point is guys like Jay Bromley or Derrell Smith or Nate Hemsley or JR Johnson or others are every bit the athlete those other guys are but they either don't necessarily translate to the NFL or they need more work to play at a high level in college.

This is a long, long, long way of saying I think you can get plenty of talent with 2-, 3-, or 4-star kids, but what you do with that talent is what matters.

So, to me, developing talent and creating quality schemes is every bit as important as recruiting itself, especially since we're unlikely to consistently pull in high-3, 4-star guys.

Plus, I still have yet to hear someone explain how our offense went from craptastic to nearly unstopable with many of the same guys in one year. Am I supposed to believe that Marcus Sales and Jerome Smith added that much and that Nassib just miraculously became 40% better in one off-season? I don't buy that. The drastic change in scheme seems a far more plausible explanation.

This I absolutely agree with. I think where I disagree is with the general importance people put on "talent " -- at least as defined by general recruiting definition. The idea that we're in better shape with more highly regarded talent is great and I don't disagree that higher end kids will generally yield better results.

That said, kids with higher ratings are often deemed better by definition of being more game-ready or projectable in an NFL sense (size/frame combo). In other words it may not be as much a question of pure talent and more a question of polish. Obviously that's a generalization, but the point is guys like Jay Bromley or Derrell Smith or Nate Hemsley or JR Johnson or others are every bit the athlete those other guys are but they either don't necessarily translate to the NFL or they need more work to play at a high level in college.

This is a long, long, long way of saying I think you can get plenty of talent with 2-, 3-, or 4-star kids, but what you do with that talent is what matters.

So, to me, developing talent and creating quality schemes is every bit as important as recruiting itself, especially since we're unlikely to consistently pull in high-3, 4-star guys.

Plus, I still have yet to hear someone explain how our offense went from craptastic to nearly unstopable with many of the same guys in one year. Am I supposed to believe that Marcus Sales and Jerome Smith added that much and that Nassib just miraculously became 40% better in one off-season? I don't buy that. The drastic change in scheme seems a far more plausible explanation.

I'm not talking about ratings.

I'm talking about talent - pure ability.

There will be less of a need to find diamonds in the rough because he will attract obviously talented players.

By all accounts, George McDonald is a very good recruiter who, with the IPF, the ACC and other infrastructure improvements will have something special to sell.

And that will be his most critical contribution to the program in my view.

I'm not talking about ratings.

I'm talking about talent - pure ability.

There will be less of a need to find diamonds in the rough because he will attract obviously talented players.

By all accounts, George McDonald is a very good recruiter who, with the IPF, the ACC and other infrastructure improvements will have something special to sell.

And that will be his most critical contribution to the program in my view.

Fair points. I just hope we're not talking about all the talent we sort of squandered -- like when we were not winning 10+ in the McNabb era. I'm not hammering P, who I think was generally a good coach, but it's hard not to look at what Va Tech did with Michael Vick and think 'why wasn't that us'?

The awful truth.

Whether it's on the play ground or Ernie Davis Field or the Jim Boeheim Court.

"It's not the X's and O's, it's the "Jimmy's and the Joe's"

Give me Bo Jackson and Donovan McNabb along with a garden variety scheme and I'll give you a good offense.
I disagree. Coaching is incredibly important in football. You can recruit great talent but you must develop it and know how to use it. There's a lot of good players out there but not a lot of great coaches. Lets hope he can coach!

I disagree. Coaching is incredibly important in football. You can recruit great talent but you must develop it and know how to use it. There's a lot of good players out there but not a lot of great coaches. Lets hope he can coach!

Well that's the age old debate.

Dick MacPherson explained many years ago that by the time he retired he learned that in football it's 80 to 90% the players and the rest coaching.

Talent trumps coaching in nearly every instance.

There are a lot of good players out there.

There are a limited number of great players.

We will now hopefully get more great players than we have in the past - and that will make a big difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom