'Cuse not a 1 seed | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse not a 1 seed

I'd take that bracket in a minute. It's Philly and DC... and Duke can't compete with us inside.

I'd take that bracket in a minute. It's Philly and DC... and Duke can't compete with us inside.

It is a very rare occasion that I would respectfully disagree with you cto, but I think Duke has a much better inside game than we do at this point. Plumlee is averaging 19.2 and 11.3 per game. The one thing that concerns me with this team is our inside game on both ends. I hope one of our bigs emerges as the season moves along but Plumlee is a beast inside.

Or maybe by inside you mean, anywhere that is not on an aircraft carrier. I might be more inclined to agree with that statement ;)

It is a very rare occasion that I would respectfully disagree with you cto, but I think Duke has a much better inside game than we do at this point. Plumlee is averaging 19.2 and 11.3 per game. The one thing that concerns me with this team is our inside game on both ends. I hope one of our bigs emerges as the season moves along but Plumlee is a beast inside.

Or maybe by inside you mean, anywhere that is not on an aircraft carrier. I might be more inclined to agree with that statement ;)

Not only that but Kelly can step outside and hit the long range shot.

BTW, am I the only one that looks at Kelly and thinks "if I saw this guy on the street, I would never believe he plays basketball, let alone start for an elite program."?

Not only that but Kelly can step outside and hit the long range shot.

BTW, am I the only one that looks at Kelly and thinks "if I saw this guy on the street, I would never believe he plays basketball, let alone start for an elite program."?
You are not alone regarding Kelly, but he is very tall. I think we have enough beef to neutralize their inside game and I think the top of the zone would baffle Quinn Cook and Company.

I'd take that bracket path in a minute. Is anyone scared of Minnesota and San Diego State?

I'd take that bracket path in a minute. Is anyone scared of Minnesota and San Diego State?

Definitely not scared of them - but those are both high-quality teams that could easily be that yearly surprise 4-seed team that makes the Final Four.

Definitely not scared of them - but those are both high-quality teams that could easily be that yearly surprise 4-seed team that makes the Final Four.

Still preferable to Gonzaga/Mich State on the top half, Baylor. Also preferable to Okie State/Creighton

They are very high on Marshall Plumlee as well, though he may not get enough reps this year to make a major impact.

I don't think that we're playing like a #1 seed at this point, today, in mid-December.

That could change, depending on how the team continues to develop.

This will change 8 times before March. As long as we drop no lower than the 2 seed line I am cool. DC and Philly are more important than a 1 seed IMO.

It's December.

Just in case y'all didn't hear what the man had to say, IT'S DECEMBER!

Come back to me in late February after we've played a few games.

Right now, Plumlee would go off against our frontline, imo.

Right now, Plumlee would go off against our frontline, imo.

I agree. The kid can play and he would really hurt us inside. This game wont probable ever get played of course but its always fun to speculate.

I would be more concerned with VCU. They are a very athletic team and Shaka Smart gets a lot out of his guys in March.

They are very high on Marshall Plumlee as well, though he may not get enough reps this year to make a major impact.
I think he's hurt right now too.

*clicks the drop box*

*scrolls down to November 6*

*Sees "#1 seed: Kentucky" *

*Remembers how irrelevant bracketology is in December*

Agree..and look at the other teams in the bracket...its NC baby!

I don't think that we're playing like a #1 seed at this point, today, in mid-December.

That could change, depending on how the team continues to develop.

Funny I remember posting a couple of threads to this effect (but agreed).

Funny I remember posting a couple of threads to this effect (but agreed).

Specifically, I'm talking about three areas of needed improvement:

1] Need to establish more consistent low post scoring
2] Need to do a better job of defending the interior
3] Collectively, as a team, need to do a better job shooting the ball from outside

We've seen improvement on #3. I'm hopeful that Coleman will begin helping us fulfill #1 as he gets more comfortable, and that Rak will contribute here as well. And #2 might be experiential, but we need to continue doing a better job. I'm concerned that teams with dual inside threats would really, really hurt us if we had to play a competent team like that today.

The raw materials are there for all three of those issues to improve over the course of the season. And if they do, we'll challenge for a #1 seed.

To amplify RF's post a bit, I think, potentially, the DC2/Rak combo could play with any frontline in the country. The question is when. Rak is showing some flashes, and I think he's getting closer to being ready -- he (and CJ/JS) can already double inside (we saw some doubles against Jennings). Plumlee would be a couple of steps up, of course. But it's early and there's plenty of time for development.

DC2 is in a different place -- struggling with basics, catching the ball, not dribbling, working on his inside moves, defense in the zone. But he's got enough size so that, when he's ready, he could make Plumlee play in an uncomfortable spot. Within 5 feet of the basket is too late for him at his skill level. But if you have someone big enough (which we do) to keep him farther out, it would help limit his effectiveness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom