Cuse opens up as four point favorites vs FSU | Syracusefan.com

Cuse opens up as four point favorites vs FSU

I think Coach Larranaga’s comments after UM lost to FSU 4 days ago were very interesting.

He was honest and had a lot of good insights.

FSU has a lot of size and athletic ability and they give Coach Hamilton a lot of flexibility to make adjustments throughout games.

This game is going to be a big challenge for us. We need to come out ready to play on defense and on the boards.

Weird our lines continue to be so low or we’re dogs against these kind of teams.

I think Coach Larranaga’s comments after UM lost to FSU 4 days ago were very interesting.

He was honest and had a lot of good insights.

FSU has a lot of size and athletic ability and they give Coach Hamilton a lot of flexibility to make adjustments throughout games.

This game is going to be a big challenge for us. We need to come out ready to play on defense and on the boards.

Will be interesting- FSU does a below average to poor job in their 3 pt defense and gives up quite a few FT attempts per game. They’ve been a bit lucky in how poor their opponents have shot from the line against them ( 66 pct). Overall they are a solid defensive team but I’ll be curious if we can exploit those two areas especially with JJs shot really coming around.

Additionally while they have size- they actually aren’t that good on the boards this year rebounding 48.8 pct of their misses to our 47.7.

FSU’s length and quickness really concerns me. Unless we can score in transition, I’m worried about us scoring. They are so long and athletic it really makes it hard on both ends of the court.

Our team stats are almost identical.

Clemson is significantly less athletic than us at every position and almost put up 80 on them in FSU. If we lose this game it will be a huge disappointment. Need JJ to continue to show why he was a McDonalds All American.

Clemson is significantly less athletic than us at every position and almost put up 80 on them in FSU. If we lose this game it will be a huge disappointment. Need JJ to continue to show why he was a McDonalds All American.
Clemson’s offense doesn’t rely on athleticism to score. Its pass heavy.

Clemson’s offense doesn’t rely on athleticism to score. Its pass heavy.
Agreed, but Saturday we moved the ball pretty well. This would be a huge letdown to lose. I also think FSU is garbage offensively and we've been playing pretty good defense.

FSU is the tallest team in the country but doesn't attack the rim nearly as much as they should. But they don't take threes either and very few of their makes are assisted, so their offense is really sloppy. Somehow they still draw a decent amount of fouls though so we have to be careful to not pick up cheapies, especially Maliq. That's not as big a concern at home as it would be on the road, but it'll be in the back of my mind.

Defensively, FSU fouls a ton and are a bad rebounding team despite their size but still allow a lot of transition chances, so I don't really get what they're doing when shots go up. They do get blocks and steals though, so they're not afraid to get handsy. Because they're so tall they have trouble closing out on shooters, so I could see Starling having another big game, maybe Bell too.

Last edited:
FSU certainly will always have 2 guys on the court at the same time that are all at least 6’9”, if not taller.

While their rebounding isn’t as good this year as it’s been recently, the size difference is the front court is scary. If JT plays a lot at the 4 tonight that doesn’t bode well for us

FSU certainly will always have 2 guys on the court at the same time that are all at least 6’9”, if not taller.

While their rebounding isn’t as good this year as it’s been recently, the size difference is the front court is scary. If JT plays a lot at the 4 tonight that doesn’t bode well for us
Yeah, if JT plays any meaningful minutes at the 4 it's because Benny's in foul trouble.

I don't think JT really fits this matchup as a 3 either but that's a different conversation.

Will be interesting- FSU does a below average to poor job in their 3 pt defense and gives up quite a few FT attempts per game. They’ve been a bit lucky in how poor their opponents have shot from the line against them ( 66 pct). Overall they are a solid defensive team but I’ll be curious if we can exploit those two areas especially with JJs shot really coming around.

Additionally while they have size- they actually aren’t that good on the boards this year rebounding 48.8 pct of their misses to our 47.7.
If SU can make a respectable number of perimeter shots they should be in good
shape. Unfortunately, 3 point shooting just isn't a strength of this group. Need to play
defense and rebound night in and night out to be competitive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom